• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early 'Tec, Actions, Supes, and others - Feb Auction

32 posts in this topic

originally discussed here - Philip Weiss Feb Auction

Books are now posted on at least one Auction site ( link ) so I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss all the G.A. books in the auction...

My first thoughts, nice OO group of early DC books (as well as a few other books), although the coding numbers/values the owner wrote on the covers are really large and in some cases just ugly. But, still a nice group of rare/early Hero books, here's a sampling of a few...

3945845_2UO0KKPWN.jpg

3945852_2UO0KL326.jpg

3945855_2UO0KL8IT.jpg

3945866_2UO0KLY91.jpg

3945868_2UO0KM2GI.jpg

3945870_2UO0KM6DJ.jpg(worship)(worship)(worship)

3945872_2UO0KMAFD.jpg

3945882_2UO0KMTB2.jpg

Very nice. Any thoughts on why these were not professionally graded to enhance buyer confidence?

I don't think that Phil Weiss gets the books graded based on past auctions I have bid on. Maybe someone else can comment to the contrary, but they seem to mainly have raw books in their auctions.

I certainly see the attraction on some books, especially the stamped numbers. The cover notes are certainly distinctive and would certainly tie a book to this collection without question, Just adds a little provenance to the book, right?

I certainly see the attraction on some books, especially the stamped numbers. The cover notes are certainly distinctive and would certainly tie a book to this collection without question, Just adds a little provenance to the book, right?

Yup for sure. The stamps I can handle but the one's with thw writing are a little tough to swallow but these sure are some nice books. OO GA books from this era are pretty amazing when you think of it.

Some of the non-comic stuff is fabulous. Mrs. Donut started twitching when she saw this:

1097 Original Disney Insignia Art. World War 2 Military Insignia Art. 8 1/2 x 10 1/2". Watercolor on artist board. Thumper Rides a Bomb with Disney Studio signature bottom left.

3945894_2UO0KNTX6.jpg

Some of the non-comic stuff is fabulous. Mrs. Donut started twitching when she saw this:

1097 Original Disney Insignia Art. World War 2 Military Insignia Art. 8 1/2 x 10 1/2". Watercolor on artist board. Thumper Rides a Bomb with Disney Studio signature bottom left.

3945894_2UO0KNTX6.jpg

:) That is super awesome. Cute little Disney rabbits fighting in the war. I love it.

Very nice. Any thoughts on why these were not professionally graded to enhance buyer confidence?

Well now I know why they didnt cgc the Detective # 1. Cgc probably would have given the book a 4.0 to 4.5 and there calling it a Fine unslabbed.