• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tape residue?

20 posts in this topic

I have a nice book that has some tape residue on the cover...at least that is what I think it is. Is there anyway to remove it without damaging the cover?

The book is only Man_Thing #1 so it isn't anything special.

I saw one guy use lighter fluid and a paper towel( I haven't tried this myself). I think the cover had to be clean though or you would get tide lines.

If I was to do it the cover would get submerged in solvent and then re-attached.

I am doing other people's taped books for free if you don't want to try yourself and can't afford a professional. I am only doing this for friends and other boardies. :)

absolutely, I wouldn't dare trying this at home even if it is a cheap book...but this book is a beauty and any chances to get the gunk out would be welcome. I don't plan to submit the book to CGC at all so if she is damaged in the process, hopefully MasterCtrl can learn something along the way.

Once I used Goo Gone to remove some sticker residue from a cover. Worked like a charm with no impact on cover inks or tide lines after the Goo Gone dried. It did however, retain a faint, yet delightful, citrus aroma.

BTW, I am not seriously recommending this as a resto technique, but if you have a beater/reader that is sticking to the inside of the bag due to a sticky spot on the cover, go for it.

An acquaintance recommended a product called Bestine, I picked some up at the local art store and it did a wizard job of removing residue from the dust jacket of my copy of R Crumb's Yum Yum Book.

No staining, no residue, didn't touch the ink. Nice stuff, I'm looking forward to trying it on a comic cover when the right beater comes along.

I experimented on some bronze books with tape residue on the front covers. I tried the lighter fluid as the solvent. My results were mixed. Some came out perfectly fine and others had the ink smear on me. These were late 70's bronze,in good shape, and highly glossy. I would treat the spot with fluid, wait 2-3 seconds, and wipe or blot the area with cotton ball or paper towel. Let it dry and, if all is going well,repeat if necessary. But as I said, I had mixed results.

Once I used Goo Gone to remove some sticker residue from a cover. Worked like a charm with no impact on cover inks or tide lines after the Goo Gone dried. It did however, retain a faint, yet delightful, citrus aroma.

BTW, I am not seriously recommending this as a resto technique, but if you have a beater/reader that is sticking to the inside of the bag due to a sticky spot on the cover, go for it.

Anyone know anything about Un-Du? (shrug)Un-Du website It states it's a unique formula, acid-free, and archival safe.

One of the videos on the site shows removing a strip of duct tape stuck to toilet paper, with the tp remaining intact. :o And we all know sticky gummy that :censored: is . :eek:

I actually agree with you, but only if you disclose the citrus smell! :preach:

Seriously though, if you have a low dollar book that still has a decent amount of gloss(meaning solvents wont be soaked up by porous coverstock) AND the residue on the cover is still somewhat gummy you can have decent success removing it quickly with any number of different solvents or adhesive removers.

Just be sure to test it out first, and to always remember less is more.

If the adhesive is dried out or brittle, forget about it.

I have a nice book that has some tape residue on the cover...at least that is what I think it is. Is there anyway to remove it without damaging the cover?

The book is only Man_Thing #1 so it isn't anything special.

Photos please, hard to figure out what exactly you have on your book.

Gummy tape adhesive , or a splotch of spooge?

An acquaintance recommended a product called Bestine, I picked some up at the local art store and it did a wizard job of removing residue from the dust jacket of my copy of R Crumb's Yum Yum Book.

No staining, no residue, didn't touch the ink. Nice stuff, I'm looking forward to trying it on a comic cover when the right beater comes along.

Bestine is made from heptane so I don't recommend using it unless you wear a respirator and do it outdoors or with a fume hood. :preach:

Anyone know anything about Un-Du? (shrug)Un-Du website It states it's a unique formula, acid-free, and archival safe.

One of the videos on the site shows removing a strip of duct tape stuck to toilet paper, with the tp remaining intact. :o And we all know sticky gummy that :censored: is . :eek:

Yes, it works. But because it involves localized application, it will leave tidelines.

Mailed this pic to Mike, and will probably get him to work on some

similar items, sorry Mike, I'm not letting these out of my sightt.

stampwhatarethey1.jpg

Stamp on the right is an 1869 Turkey issue. Square stain is from either

cello tape or cheap masking tape. Ideas ???

Oh, and Mike, I'm going to mail you an envelope this weekend. Shop

just a bit hectic yet...

Be careful when restoring stamps. The cancellation marks may come off or be lightened considerably and the inks of the stamps themselves may run in the wrong solvent.

stampwhatarethey1.jpg

just a bit hectic yet...

Be careful when restoring stamps. The cancellation marks may come off or be lightened considerably and the inks of the stamps themselves may run in the wrong solvent.

stampwhatarethey1.jpg

just a bit hectic yet...

I am hoping he sends me some test stamps. I wondered if the inks were going to be as sensitive as cover stock.

I've been pressing stamps for 35+ years, with heat and moisture to

remove flaws. Not really anything in the resto catagory, but when you

have a 100+ year old stamp that is currly or has been mounted in an

album incorrectly, you develope waves, warbles, whatever you care

to call them. And yes, paper is far more variable in stamps than in

comics. As are inks. I do not do anything on stamps before 1883.

Those stamps are what they are, creased, flaked, warped, etc, etc.

Paper and ink vary way way way to much to play with.

When the gov't turned to different printers that had experience in

producing currency to manufacture stamps, quality improved remarkably.