• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is a variant a variant?

11 posts in this topic

How does CGC decide what is and isn't a variant? 30 and 35 centers are variants but Whitman reprints aren't. Uncanny X-men published a bunch of books the 80s that were 'deluxe editions' but I don't think they are considered variants by CGC.

So how does CGC determine if something gets labeled a variant?

From my experience with certain books, "Variant" needs to be on the cover. Sometimes (with moderns) and the 50/50 covers they release, they'll only recognize one of them as a Variant if it's listed on the cover, where with other books, both 50/50 covers are considered to be regular covers. My 2cents

From my experience with certain books, "Variant" needs to be on the cover. Sometimes (with moderns) and the 50/50 covers they release, they'll only recognize one of them as a Variant if it's listed on the cover, where with other books, both 50/50 covers are considered to be regular covers. My 2cents

But somtimes they will screw up the Variants. I understand if there are two covers that Variants and are in the same ratio like 1 in 25, and in the notes they will say something like "Two variant covers exist, 1 by so-and-so, 1 by the other so-and-so".

But with something that's like a 1 in 75 and a 1 in 25, seperate the variants, don't lump them together. They did this with Secret Invasion and I think it lessened the value of the higher ratio variant.

Also if you look at the UPC there is a different number usually for the variant.

Also for 1:1 ratios they will also put 'Cover A' or 'Cover B'.

I would actually like to see the ratio for true variants like 1:25 and 1:100. I don't really collect variants but I do have a couple of 1:50s and it would be nice to see it noted.

Also I believe the onus is on the submitter to note the book is a variant.

I personally don't feel that 50/50 books are true Variants. (Like all of the Tarot:Witch of the Black Rose comics) I remember back when we had the "Newsstand Edition" and the "Direct Edition" (i.e. Superman #75 - Cape waving like a flag vs Black Bag Edition or The Amazing Spider-Man # 388 -one was regular paper cover the other had a foil outline on the cover)

Marvel has recently started putting "VARIANT" on their variant books - the 1:10 1:25 1:50 etc...

In closing I feel a variant book is a First Print Comic Book that has a completely different cover than a 50/50 split or a single cover edition (such as a sketch variant) but it has to be FIRST PRINT. 2nd Print just annoys me, DC is notorious for making 2nd Prints and you have to read the last page to see if it is a second print and not a variant cover.

DC is notorious for making 2nd Prints and you have to read the last page to see if it is a second print and not a variant cover.

I believe you can actually tell what print a DC comic is by looking at the barcode. The second portion of the barcode contains the issue # and the print edition.

Barcode Example:

Robin #168 1st ptg =16811

Robin #168 variant = 16821

Robin #168 2nd ptg = 16812

Also for 1:1 ratios they will also put 'Cover A' or 'Cover B'.

I would actually like to see the ratio for true variants like 1:25 and 1:100. I don't really collect variants but I do have a couple of 1:50s and it would be nice to see it noted.

Also I believe the onus is on the submitter to note the book is a variant.

i agree they should list 1:25, 1:50 and so on in the notes, or wherethey list it's a variant

DC is notorious for making 2nd Prints and you have to read the last page to see if it is a second print and not a variant cover.

I believe you can actually tell what print a DC comic is by looking at the barcode. The second portion of the barcode contains the issue # and the print edition.

Barcode Example:

Robin #168 1st ptg =16811

Robin #168 variant = 16821

Robin #168 2nd ptg = 16812

Very nice!

Yes, the barcode is a mystery to many, but it can be decoded...mostly...if the printers don't screw it up. ;)

When considering the 50/50 books, the book that the publisher designates in the barcode with a "2" is the "variant."

For example:

05819410642.2.GIF

According to the barcode information supplied by Marvel to Quebecor, where this was printed, this is the regular version, while this:

05819410642.2.VARIANT.GIF

is the variant.

Notice, in the regular edition, the code reads "00211" while the variant reads "00221"

The first three numbers are the issue number (which is gonna be real tough once Action and Detective read 1,000), the fourth number is the "variant", and the fifth number stands for the printing.

Thus, a code of "11752" would be issue #117, the 5th variant, 2nd printing of same (this is HIGHLY unlikely, but certainly possible.)

"04213" would be issue #42, third printing. "38231" would be issue #381, third different cover, first printing.

Who gives a crepe about Manufactured Limited Editions anyway, as these are *not* true variants, especially the ones that retailers take out and resell for higher than cover or give to top customers.

In order to be a true variant, it needs to be sold on the same shelf as its regular counterpart - i.e no change in distribution (otherwise, what's it a variant of?) - like some of the hidden/unannounced ones that Marvel has released - those are variants.