• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney/Activision Drop DLC for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

31 posts in this topic

The gamers on here probably already know about this, but I just found out today when the kids and I *finally* loaded up MUA2 (that Santa nicely brought us) on the PS3, only to find out that all the DLC (downloadable content - i.e. new characters, missions, etc.) had been deleted from PSN (and XBOX Live!) due to (I found out later) a licensing issue re: the Disney buyout and their lawyers looking over contracts that were supposed to end in 2017.

As a fan of the MUA games, this sucks royally, and in my Google searching, there are a TON of pizzed off gamers, especially since the DLC was removed on Dec 22, right before Christmas (nice present to wake up to), although the "real story" didn't come out until later in 2010. Even early buyers had to move fast too, since it was only available for about a month.

Sure, you can still play the base game, but it's now totally unsupported, and it sure limits your multi-player options - there are now 3-4 different versions of the game out there, and without the DLC, none can play with the other. Because of this, online play has ground to a halt and everyone has moved on.

And to my gals, the more female heroes the better, and one *really* likes Psylocke.

It's not often that a BS move from a a large corporation causes me to think "boycott", but I really don't think I'll be buying anymore Marvel-based games in the future (due to Disney's rampant lawyer-ism), unless I find it in the 2/$10 bargain bin, where incidentally, MUA2 will be very soon. :insane:

I really can't believe Disney would force a licensed game into unsupported/orphaned status and leaving fans in the lurch after only about 4 months, but it happened. doh!

Why?

Nintendo have been doing it for years, then Hey presto..the DS & Wii, and suddenly they actually make games to support those consoles

Which games did Nintendo orphan, and then delete any and all DLC, causing mass incompatibilities between different versions, and after only 4 months?

According to some gaming experts (i.e. ultra-nerds) I've read online, this is the lowest of the low so far in game support, even worse than EA dropping online support for all but the newest sports titles.

Which games did Nintendo orphan, and then delete any and all DLC, causing mass incompatibilities between different versions, and after only 4 months?

According to some gaming experts (i.e. ultra-nerds) I've read online, this is the lowest of the low so far in game support, even worse than EA dropping online support for all but the newest sports titles.

I can only speak as a games player, like yourself. Going back to 1997, they practically abandoned the N64, did the same with the gamecube. Very little software i.e games to support the particular console. Then they hit on the DS & Wii, struck gold with the public, and we are constantly bombarded with TV advertising campaigns etc. At least in the UK, don't know about USA or Canada.

Many people over here loved the N64 & Gamecube, but trust me it was left high and dry over here. A very arrogant approach I thought.

Disney seem more pre-occupied with shutting down insignificant small businesses who dare to infringe copyright by say having a Disney character advertising their shop than actually taking care of their customers.

Just an opinion 2c

Sure, but I'm not talking about hardware - Sega Saturn anyone? :insane:

And yes, Disney is pretty crazy when it comes to lawyers, and that's what happened here - they likely want to develop MUA3 themselves, so found a loophole in the Activison contracts (rumored to end in 2017) to get them out.

Too bad we all pay for it, and I certainly won't be lining up for any more Marvel games.. fool me once..

Sure, but I'm not talking about hardware - Sega Saturn anyone? :insane:

And yes, Disney is pretty crazy when it comes to lawyers, and that's what happened here - they likely want to develop MUA3 themselves, so found a loophole in the Activison contracts (rumored to end in 2017) to get them out.

Too bad we all pay for it, and I certainly won't be lining up for any more Marvel games.. fool me once..

Agreed to all the above as well.

And you can add the 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Dreamcast to that list as well.

And there are prob. more that I can't remember

Oh well, Gamestop is still offering $40 trade-in for this doorstop, although that is certain to change, so I guess I'm heading to the mall tomorrow and dropping the dead weight. Only cost $39.99 anyway, so I'm ahead a cent (GS trades are tax-free) into the bargain. :insane:

Oh well, Gamestop is still offering $40 trade-in for this doorstop, although that is certain to change, so I guess I'm heading to the mall tomorrow and dropping the dead weight. Only cost $39.99 anyway, so I'm ahead a cent (GS trades are tax-free) into the bargain. :insane:

Thanks for the heads up

I went to an EB Games in my area and traded in Ultimate alliance 2 and a few otehr real cheap ones for Smack-down vs Raw 2010 which is much more fun

Nice

I traded it in at EB games in my are for $40 to get another game

I guess I can rebuy it at this price and I made some profit

I wonder if you can buy these now and then go trade them in for profit or is it to late? I do have Amazon prime.

Nice

I traded it in at EB games in my are for $40 to get another game

I guess I can rebuy it at this price and I made some profit

Exactly my point - orphaned games usually hit the bargain bin soon after, and that $40 at EB was too good a deal to refuse. I can see a permanent $20 new/$10 used price settling in real soon.