• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

Either report or don't. Selective reporting is hideous.

Okay, fix it.

My fix would be just that. Anyone that reports agrees to report all transactions. Then there is no problem telling the client, "Hey buddy, sorry you don't want this info out there, but I am contractually obligated to provide it."

Okay, fine. I just won't report any data to GPA. It's a hassle anyway. Thanks for your time. :hi:

I don't disagree with you, Sean, but I don't think the idea will ever reach nirvana.

I understand. Purposefully bad data bothers me, a lot. I really think I would rather have no data from a source than some good and some bad. I'm not sure that is entirely logical, but it is how I feel.

Either report or don't. Selective reporting is hideous.

Okay, fix it.

My fix would be just that. Anyone that reports agrees to report all transactions. Then there is no problem telling the client, "Hey buddy, sorry you don't want this info out there, but I am contractually obligated to provide it."

Okay, fine. I just won't report any data to GPA. It's a hassle anyway. Thanks for your time. :hi:

I don't disagree with you, Sean, but I don't think the idea will ever reach nirvana.

I understand. Purposefully bad data bothers me, a lot. I really think I would rather have no data from a source than some good and some bad. I'm not sure that is entirely logical, but it is how I feel.

At least when you deal with yourself, you don't feel dirty like Bedrock. :foryou:

I really think I would rather have no data from a source than some good and some bad. I'm not sure that is entirely logical, but it is how I feel.

We feel the same way...but no data at all is worse. :(

there's a pretty sizable difference between not reporting any sales at all, and cherry-picking which sales you report.

one just removes all data points from one seller, while the other skews the data towards higher prices.

just saying.

Sal,

I am not saying that GPA is inacurrate because "I " don't report data. I am also not saying that it doesn't skew the data higher if sales are cherry picked. I am saying regardless of what is reported, GPA is incomplete, and generally not used as it should be. It is a very useful tool.

However most people just look at the highest price if selling and the lowest price if buying, without taking into account how and why any of those figures were reached.

i wasn't saying GPA was inaccurate because you don't report data, either.

i agree GPA is an incomplete tool and that it's used in ways in which it was never intended.

that being said, if the only sales that get reported are high ones, it will artificially inflate the market for those books, until George can rejigger his output string to include things like PQ and scans

uh, have you looked at GPA recently? I don't really think there is a problem that only high sales get reported.

just think how much worse the data would look if Pedigree and Josh Nathanson actually reported their bad sales, instead of only the good ones.

that's all i'm saying

It would be very interesting to see what would happen if George could, in one press of a button, purge all Pedigree data from GPA.

How many chart lines would substantially shift?

hm

Does Pedigree use GPA data in their auction descriptions?

Not frequently, certainly not like Heritage does, where they pipe it straight in. I sometimes see references to past sales of the same issue without reference to where the sales data came from.

First - Verzyl has a website?

2nd - I sell them to good customers.

Why should I pay my competitors who use my commissions to to buy books I want to purchase? Comiclink is a dealer, they own inventory that is for sale on that website. Pedigree owns inventory. I could go on and on.

Never considered doing featured auctions on your website?

:devil:

I am always thinking ahead for company advancement.

Blow away the competition with Storms reputation, and my charming personality it would be all too easy. :preach:

It would be called KAauctions.com

KA= Kool Aide.

there's a pretty sizable difference between not reporting any sales at all, and cherry-picking which sales you report.

one just removes all data points from one seller, while the other skews the data towards higher prices.

just saying.

Sal,

I am not saying that GPA is inacurrate because "I " don't report data. I am also not saying that it doesn't skew the data higher if sales are cherry picked. I am saying regardless of what is reported, GPA is incomplete, and generally not used as it should be. It is a very useful tool.

However most people just look at the highest price if selling and the lowest price if buying, without taking into account how and why any of those figures were reached.

i wasn't saying GPA was inaccurate because you don't report data, either.

i agree GPA is an incomplete tool and that it's used in ways in which it was never intended.

that being said, if the only sales that get reported are high ones, it will artificially inflate the market for those books, until George can rejigger his output string to include things like PQ and scans

uh, have you looked at GPA recently? I don't really think there is a problem that only high sales get reported.

just think how much worse the data would look if Pedigree and Josh Nathanson actually reported their bad sales, instead of only the good ones.

that's all i'm saying

It would be very interesting to see what would happen if George could, in one press of a button, purge all Pedigree data from GPA.

How many chart lines would substantially shift?

hm

Would it make sense for a protocol to be officially mandated for all participating vendors, and for Doug to be given the opportunity to submit any books he may have withheld?

I can see why some of you would want an outright purging, but as time goes on, I'm sure there will be other gray areas exposed and it will be a matter of time before dealers decide its just too much trouble to participate.

Whether its purging data whenever a misfit prop-up, or purging data at wholesale, it seems the collecting community and those using GPA get the short end of the stick. Formalizing a process, and revisiting it every 6 months or once a year according to changes in the hobby might allow the data collection to iron out some kinks or misgivings. 2c

Here's a question. How many of the individuals complaining about GPA actually have a subscription?

I have one and I consider it an excellent guide in determining what I want to price my books when I sell them and what I want to pay for books when I buy them.. raw or slabbed.

To those of you who do have a subscription and now find GPA no longer valid, I would recommend canceling your subscriptions and signing up with the competition.... oh, wait. I guess it's back to Overstreet and a homemade algorithm to determine your slab prices.

I have a GPA subscription and I think it's a great guide for CGC sales as well.

Here's a question. How many of the individuals complaining about GPA actually have a subscription?

I have one and I consider it an excellent guide in determining what I want to price my books when I sell them and what I want to pay for books when I buy them.. raw or slabbed.

To those of you who do have a subscription and now find GPA no longer valid, I would recommend canceling your subscriptions and signing up with the competition.... oh, wait. I guess it's back to Overstreet and a homemade algorithm to determine your slab prices.

I have a GPA subscription and I think it's a great guide for CGC sales as well.

You have always been a smart one, Roger, too. (thumbs u

it is useful for me but I rarely offered to buy or bid anything equal or higher than GPA since I subscribed back in 3/09. Especially in the past 4 months where many of the books I followed have been auctioned off at CL for less than GPA...I have gradually adjusted my bid using my own record that I kept from previous CL auctions

as with many things, it is one of many useful tools just as OSPG...only a fool will trust or rely on any single sources.

Christ, I can't keep up.

I'm convinved that you're all criminals because there's no way in heck that you all should be able to afford such pretty comics, considering that you guys don't appear to have day jobs. God bless America. :baiting:

First - Verzyl has a website?

2nd - I sell them to good customers.

Why should I pay my competitors who use my commissions to to buy books I want to purchase? Comiclink is a dealer, they own inventory that is for sale on that website. Pedigree owns inventory. I could go on and on.

Never considered doing featured auctions on your website?

:devil:

I am always thinking ahead for company advancement.

Blow away the competition with Storms reputation, and my charming personality it would be all too easy. :preach:

It would be called KAauctions.com

KA= Kool Aide.

You'd need to change that otherwise you'd get sued for trademark infringement. Although for a brief time you'd have one awesome logo for your website.

Lots of discussion.... and I'm not sure there's been any progress or answers. On the other hand, I doubt there's enough impact to Doug's bottom line to prevent people from either bidding or consigning in his auctions, and thus a few months from now things will likely be back to status quo.

Anyhow, if you don't like dealing with dealers, then there's always Ebay and other collectors.

I am a dealer. I don't even like dealing with myself.

Yeah, but you're a terrible dealer and you keep all the best books for your own collection. :baiting:

Kinda like Doug, Fischler and a host of others :sorry:

Anyhow, if you don't like dealing with dealers, then there's always Ebay and other collectors.

I am a dealer. I don't even like dealing with myself.

Yeah, but you're a terrible dealer and you keep all the best books for your own collection. :baiting:

Kinda like Doug, Fischler and a host of others :sorry:

Yep, you, Doug, and Fischler....3 Stooges Comics.

:kidaround:

Here's what it all comes down to kiddies, as one astute member says,

"just think how much worse the data would look if Pedigree and Josh Nathanson actually reported their bad sales, instead of only the good ones."

:sumo:

Josh doesn't report any sales to GPA... low or high, my bro Bunky.