• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-submitted AF#15, Got Downgraded

75 posts in this topic

I sent a 5.0 AF15 back to CGC because the plastic holder was a bit damaged. In my limited opinion (obviously very limited, in hindsight), I also thought the book was under-graded so I opted to have it re-graded as well. It was first graded in 2008 (by its previous owner) and as far as I could tell nothing had been done since to degrade the initial 5.0. I'm not going to post pics, but images of this particular copy have circulated on these boards before and many members thought it could deserve 0.5-1.0 higher, and at the least, it was the best 5.0 they had ever seen.

I just found out through online tracking that it is now has a 4.5.

I still love the book, but it will depress me a bit every time I now look at it. Lesson learned, be careful when re-submitting. I obviously had no idea what I was doing. When I sent it back in, I didn't crack the slab open. Maybe CGC is jabbing me a bit for questioning their initial grade, given it was only done 2 years ago? There is no shaken comic syndrome and page quality was designated the same as before.

Anyone think it's worth it to get on the phone with the new grader to see what caused the knock down?

A friend of mine had a similar experience..he had an All Star,The # slips me now, it was graded 6.0 OLD label..He sent the case in with the book and it came back a 5.0..

I dont get it either..Resubbing is always a gamble IMO

Maybe CGC is jabbing me a bit for questioning their initial grade, given it was only done 2 years ago? There is no shaken comic syndrome and page quality was designated the same as before.

Anyone think it's worth it to get on the phone with the new grader to see what caused the knock down?

If you send an already-slabbed book to CGC for re-grading, the slab gets removed in Receiving - once the book is in the hands of the graders they'd have no way of knowing whether it was previously slabbed or not.

Thanks for the feedback.

The online status still says "Graded", I'm praying for the hail mary and hope somehow the CGC gods will pity me with a bump back up to 5.0 before the grade is finalized.

Has anyone had their grade changed either up or down from the intial grade online to when the book gets shipped?

I guess I should be happy it didn't come back purple label...

Maybe CGC is jabbing me a bit for questioning their initial grade, given it was only done 2 years ago?

No. They aren't in business to take it personally because someone re-subs a book and then take that out on the re-subber.

In a perfect system, it would have came back a 5.0. But a half point variance (either up or down) would not be bad. So, for all the stories I hear of books getting resubmitted for a better grade, we should theoretically hear the same number of downgrades as well if the grading process is in statistical control (yeah, probably a long stretch on that one).

Did you receive the book in a damaged slab ? If the physical slab is damaged there is always the possibility of damage to the book. For an expensive book like this you probably should have let the seller handle it as reholder.

Though I would call CGC for grader's notes I doubt you will change their mind about the grade. As Michael stated, the Grader's don't open up the slabs and they don't know it is a resubmit. Undoubtly you will have to resubmit it again. Wait for an onsite grading at a future convention.

In a perfect system, it would have came back a 5.0. But a half point variance (either up or down) would not be bad. So, for all the stories I hear of books getting resubmitted for a better grade, we should theoretically hear the same number of downgrades as well if the grading process is in statistical control (yeah, probably a long stretch on that one).

Not really, though - this book was out of CGC's hands for at least a year and a half, and the book could easily have suffered damage in the slab to warrant the grade drop.

Not really, though - this book was out of CGC's hands for at least a year and a half, and the book could easily have suffered damage in the slab to warrant the grade drop.

Yes, good point about damage. That should actually increase the number of downgraded books reported in the world, I just don't seem to hear about them as frequently as upgrades.

Perhaps, but more likely the 3 graders that looked at it this time just thought it was a 4.5 . . . :grin: