• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay\Paypal 'bug' they don't want sellers knowing about . . .

12 posts in this topic

Now that I've got my 'protectorate of the community' cape on . . .

I've noticed a 'bug' in Paypal's USPS postage tool going as far back as last fall. Paypal's system doesn't transfer over to the USPS system the shipping info, including tracking #. Unless a postal worker hand keys the shipping address rather than try to scan the bar code, the tracking info does not go into the system. I've been taking several packages a day to my local postal clerk and they are getting frustrated because they are seeing it from other eBay users also.

As the system works now, Paypal takes your money and prints out a legit mailing label. That's it.

Why is that dangerous for sellers?

Unscrupulous buyers could claim they never received their package and demand a refund without having to return anything.

And now, 'up, up, and a way' . . . .

I had about 60 auctions 2 weeke ago, the only numbers that don't show are the ones created with Multi order shipping. all the others do and I know they scan the labels for these.

I can check the Multi labels later, but I'd have to key in the numbers.:shrug: might be regional?

When you say 'all the others do', are you saying if you check the tracking info link it properly states that the package is in the system and on its way to its destination?

I randomly checked four of my packages that I shipped last week yesterday and none of them properly updated as being in the system.

Here is the standard message that I get . . ..

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on January 29, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

When you say 'all the others do', are you saying if you check the tracking info link it properly states that the package is in the system and on its way to its destination?

I randomly checked four of my packages that I shipped last week yesterday and none of them properly updated as being in the system.

Here is the standard message that I get . . ..

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on January 29, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

the post office has to scan the label at origin (or you have to print a scan form that encompases all the labels created in a batch and have the PO scan that) for it to show up...most PO's don't scan unless you request (kind of like dropping off reg mail)... even if you use usps click in ship (which I do, why pay paypal 3% of postage fees (shrug) )

That may be true for domestic labels, but not for international. I've has a 100% failure rate with the postal clerk scanning an international label and nothing comes up in the USPS system.

Next time I'm in the PO, I'll have them scan a domestic label generated by Paypal to verify if it works.

. . . most PO's don't scan unless you request (kind of like dropping off reg mail)...
There in lays the answer to my question . . . make the postal clerk scan the label into the system -- assuming the domestic paypal\usps system is properly interfaced with the usps one.

I'll be making a run to the PO later today and report back.

I send 10-20 international parcels a week, via the usps clink n ship... as long as they are batched out in my batch scan form, they show up as "accepted" with date and time, once my scan form is scanned...

again, I don't use paypal shipping (why would anyone?) as you have to pay paypal a fee (negates the savings you are getting)...just use usps click and ship (it emails tracking to the customer, etc)...

here is an example of an international I just sent...

Priority Mail International # CJ156869308US

when you goto usps.com

Label/Receipt Number: CJ15 6869 308U S

Class: Priority Mail International Parcels

Service(s): International Parcels

Your item left the United States from ISC MIAMI FL (USPS) at 2:22 PM on February 5, 2010. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

International Dispatch, February 05, 2010, 2:22 pm, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Arrival

Shipment Accepted; February 03, 2010, 3:11 pm, LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444

Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 03, 2010

here is another one, shows all the way to delivery

Label/Receipt Number: CJ15 6398 878U S

Class: Priority Mail International Parcels

Service(s): International Parcels

Your item was delivered in CANADA at 2:10 PM on February 8, 2010.

Enter Label/Receipt Number.

Enter Label / Receipt Number.

Detailed Results:

Delivered Abroad, February 08, 2010, 2:10 pm, CANADA

At Foreign Delivery Unit, February 08, 2010, 8:25 am, CANADA

Out of Foreign Customs, February 05, 2010, 4:03 pm, CANADA

Into Foreign Customs, February 05, 2010, 10:25 am, CANADA

Arrived Abroad, February 05, 2010, 10:25 am, CANADA

International Dispatch, January 29, 2010, 7:18 pm, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Arrival

Shipment Accepted; January 27, 2010, 2:27 pm, LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444

Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 27, 2010

I use paypal to generate shipping label because most of my internet business flows through my ebay store. Also, there is a postage discount using the paypal method verses going to the counter -- so the paypal fee is canceled out.

I use paypal to generate shipping label because most of my internet business flows through my ebay store. Also, there is a postage discount using the paypal method verses going to the counter -- so the paypal fee is canceled out.
but you get a bigger discount at usps click n ship than paypal (or at least an equivalent) vs counter...so, you are still "losing" money by using paypal's shipping vs usps.com's...just trying to help...seems like your bugs are easily worked out, and cheaper than your current method (shrug)

I don't pay a fee for shipping with Paypal? I get the same discount as click and ship, and there is no fee when you use the multi label shipping, none that I see?

BTW, to answer the other question, the updates stopped for everyone a few years ago. The package shows as recieved and the other info does not show up until it's at the new PO, but yes, I have info on all packages, as long as they got to the next destination.