• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your pick for the big silver-age book of 2010?

114 posts in this topic

Football season's over and convention season is almost here :)

So, what silver-age book follows in the footsteps of Avengers 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, Showcase 22 and Avengers 4 as the book that grows ridiculously in a calendar year?

I have 3 picks:

Journey Into Mystery 83 (6.0's and above are already jumping from where they were a year ago). This book sort of has it all, the movie hype, an iconic cover and a book that is hard to find in 7.0 and above. Probably my #1 pick for the biggest 2010.

X-Men 1. I think the price paid for the mound city copy could make this the book that most frequently changes hands this coming summer, a la Avengers 1.

Brave and the Bold 28. This is my dark-horse pick just because whenever I see the final sale price for the 6.0 - 8.0 copies I always think that it's undervalued for such an iconic book. I think this one has room to grow, although I do not think it's going to happen.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

So, what silver-age book follows in the footsteps of Avengers 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, Showcase 22 and Avengers 4 as the book that grows ridiculously in a calendar year?

I have 3 picks:

Journey Into Mystery 83 (6.0's and above are already jumping from where they were a year ago). This book sort of has it all, the movie hype, an iconic cover and a book that is hard to find in 7.0 and above. Probably my #1 pick for the biggest 2010.

X-Men 1. I think the price paid for the mound city copy could make this the book that most frequently changes hands this coming summer, a la Avengers 1.

Brave and the Bold 28. This is my dark-horse pick just because whenever I see the final sale price for the 6.0 - 8.0 copies I always think that it's undervalued for such an iconic book. I think this one has room to grow, although I do not think it's going to happen.

None of the above. I think it will be Hulk 1. Just so hard to find in grade.

I have 3 picks:

Interesting pick with Hulk 1, but it's difficulty to find in HG is nothing new.

What do you see as the "excitement" that is unique to the book for 2010?

I think X-men 1. Last year one Avengers #4 sold for more than anyone expected and they came out of the wood work. Now the Mound City X-men 1 sold and a second has already been posted on CLink.

Tales of Suspense #39 & Iron Man #1---Iron Man 2 is coming this summer and re-igniting the Iron Man craze.

I'm also with you on the Journey into Mystery #83

Showcase #22 isnt done yet either.-GL movie on the horizon

I have 3 picks:

No 'excitement' per se, but I'm thinking more along the lines of relative value in comparison to the other 'hot' keys that have seen significant price increases. I think folks will wake up in 2010 and realize Hulk 1 in grade is relatively cheap and will pursue.

I have 3 picks:

No 'excitement' per se, but I'm thinking more along the lines of relative value in comparison to the other 'hot' keys that have seen significant price increases. I think folks will wake up in 2010 and realize Hulk 1 in grade is relatively cheap and will pursue.

Hulk 1 and Showcase 22 are both scarce to locate in 6.0+.

I think it's probably high time that a 9.4 JIM 83 came on the market. It's been a long time since the last one. I think it would generate a tremendous amount of interest.

The market would go bananas if a 9.2 or better Showcase 22 came on the market. I don't see any other SA DC book generating much interest. Maybe if a 9.4 B&B 28 came on the market, but that ain't gonna happen unless another copy appears in the Census.

What about GL #1? I know it is a much weaker key than SC #22, but the recent 9.2 sale did phenomenally well IMHO. I guess we will see how hot it is in a couple of weeks when Tim's 9.4 goes up in the Heritage Signature Auction. However, since it has not experienced the big price gap up yet like SC #22 this is a book that might have some legs with the movie coming out next year.

What about GL #1? I know it is a much weaker key than SC #22, but the recent 9.2 sale did phenomenally well IMHO. I guess we will see how hot it is in a couple of weeks when Tim's 9.4 goes up in the Heritage Signature Auction. However, since it has not experienced the big price gap up yet like SC #22 this is a book that might have some legs with the movie coming out next year.

At the end of the day, the problem with SA DCs is there is usually very little in the way of follow-up sales because there are so few high grade copies, so it's impossible for there to be enough transactions to make a trend and therefore indicate that a book is really hot or not.

So we had the MC 9.2 copy of GL 1 sell for $30K, and now my 9.4 copy is up. Regardless of what my copy sells for (obviously it will be a new record for GL #1, but that's not saying much), what next? There is no other 9.4 or better copy (at the present time) and the 9.2s seem to be accounted for, so what's the likelihood that another HG-ish copy is going to come out to sustain the trend? (I guess if I were selling my copy in a Pedigree auction, then it might appear in the listings right afterwards lol ). Similarly, the Gary Keller 9.0 SC 22 sold for a massive record recently, and now an 8.5 copy is up on ComicLink, but what after that?

In contrast, look at AF 15. After the 1st 9.4 copy broke the $200K barrier, another one came on the market and broke the $200K barrier too, which helped to confirm that $200K was a real number. Then we had a rush after that, with a 9.2 and at least one 8.5 (can't remember if there was a 9.0), all of which helped to confirm that the book had broken up into a new level across the board.

I think X-men 1. Last year one Avengers #4 sold for more than anyone expected and they came out of the wood work. Now the Mound City X-men 1 sold and a second has already been posted on CLink.

i'm too lazy to check- was it a different copy? i've seen numerous Mound City books in the Clink Feb auction that have been scrubbed clean of the Mound City designation.

i'm too lazy to check- was it a different copy? i've seen numerous Mound City books in the Clink Feb auction that have been scrubbed clean of the Mound City designation.

Different books. The MC copy has a slight white stripe, whereas the Clink copy is very well centered.

At the end of the day, the problem with SA DCs is there is usually very little in the way of follow-up sales because there are so few high grade copies, so it's impossible for there to be enough transactions to make a trend and therefore indicate that a book is really hot or not.

So we had the MC 9.2 copy of GL 1 sell for $30K, and now my 9.4 copy is up. Regardless of what my copy sells for (obviously it will be a new record for GL #1, but that's not saying much), what next? There is no other 9.4 or better copy (at the present time) and the 9.2s seem to be accounted for, so what's the likelihood that another HG-ish copy is going to come out to sustain the trend? (I guess if I were selling my copy in a Pedigree auction, then it might appear in the listings right afterwards lol ). Similarly, the Gary Keller 9.0 SC 22 sold for a massive record recently, and now an 8.5 copy is up on ComicLink, but what after that?

In contrast, look at AF 15. After the 1st 9.4 copy broke the $200K barrier, another one came on the market and broke the $200K barrier too, which helped to confirm that $200K was a real number. Then we had a rush after that, with a 9.2 and at least one 8.5 (can't remember if there was a 9.0), all of which helped to confirm that the book had broken up into a new level across the board.

I am looking more at 6.0 - 8.0 copies, since higher than that the supply is definitely too thin to drive prices. GL #1 in 8.0 can still be had for $4K - $5K and is relatively available in that grade for a pre-1962 SA DC #1. The prices on 6.0 - 7.5 copies have not really broken out yet so there could be some decent gains in that space once the movie hype machine hits since they are readily available for a bigger SA DC #1. Heck all the 7.0s have to do is hit $3K for a nice pop from the $1700 - $2000 range they are currently in.

I am looking more at 6.0 - 8.0 copies, since higher than that the supply is definitely too thin to drive prices. GL #1 in 8.0 can still be had for $4K - $5K and is relatively available in that grade for a pre-1962 SA DC #1. The prices on 6.0 - 7.5 copies have not really broken out yet so there could be some decent gains in that space once the movie hype machine hits since they are readily available for a bigger SA DC #1. Heck all the 7.0s have to do is hit $3K for a nice pop from the $1700 - $2000 range they are currently in.

Yeah...prices for 6.0-7.5 are still relatively cheap. They have great potential, so I wouldn't mind adding another 7.0+. That 7.5 you sold on CL was a very nice copy.

Yeah...prices for 6.0-7.5 are still relatively cheap. They have great potential, so I wouldn't mind adding another 7.0+. That 7.5 you sold on CL was a very nice copy.

It was nice but not quite nice enough to hit 8.0. I wonder who bought it since it did not last very long at all on Clink - collector or Clink insider?