• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your pick for the big silver-age book of 2010?

114 posts in this topic

TALES OF SUSPENSE #65

I don't readily know the significance of the book off the top of my head, my guess is many don't either

AMAZING FANTASY 15 FOR SURE MANY YEARS OF APPRECIATION

this is "the" bluechip SA book...

X-MEN 1 ( EXTREMELY UNDERVALUED)

I would agree...with 9.4s pushing 100K (will have to watch the clink 9.2 and 9.4)

ASM 1 ( EXTREMELY UNDERVALUED- YES SIREE- 1st ISSUE REGARDLESS)

I think the market has valued it appropriately...will always experience demand, though I doubt any "huge" price increases are in store...steady

AVENGERS 1 (LOVE THE BOOK BUT OVER VALUED)

it was run up (movie hype) and has cooled down, but still above former levels...important enough SA book, but second tier to the "big boys"

TTA #27 (UNDERVALUED AND TOUGH TO FIND CLASSIC)

relatively comman, and tougher to sell at strong prices (i.e. rising)...weaker SA demand, no reason demand will increase relative to supply

JIM 83 (THOR WILL RULE THE SILVER SCREEN SOON)

great book, tough in higher grade, good demand relative to supply, always seems to sell well

TOS 39 (SEVERELY UNDERVALUED)

this book ran up quite a bit with the Iron Man movie...I suspect other than high grade (as in 9.0 and higher), it is fully valued and will experience mild value increase at best

NOT SHOWCASE 22- A CGC 4.0 GARY DOLGOFF CANNOT FETCH $1200 ON EBAY NOW WATCH!

this book, much like AF 15 of 2008, has experienced INCREDIBLE upward price movements in the past year and is , as expected, going through a cooling off period... look for strong demand (second wave) as movie is closer... readily available in lower grade, near impossible in high grade...

NOT HULK 1 (OVERVALUED - THEY ARE AVAILABLE AND NOT AS ICONIC AS SPIDERMAN SO SHOULD NOT BE IN SAME LEAGUE AS ASM1). BOTH MOVIES FLOPPED DESPITE 2ND MOVIE IMPROVEMENT

not going to harp on what every other poster has mentioned... this is among the toughest of all SA key books to find in grade, and has the greatest potential for price increase, except there is not enough supply to drive up prices relative to demand...if more copies came to market, we would see a HUGE explosion in pricing...but, I think most folks realize that lower grade is pretty much the majority of supply

My thinking is almost the same...but Gator has more market insight than me. (worship)

TOS 65 is the first SA appearance of the Red Skull -- possible run up, if there is going to be one, it will be in the second half of 2010. This book will likely

AF 15 -- look for stabilization and actually a drop in prices (as has already occurred in 2009 in grades 6.5 and below). Long term, the best SA book to me.

X-Men 1 -- Maybe in high grade, otherwise, I see very little movement on this book in mid and low grades.

ASM 1 -- Likewise, no real reason for this book to move up dramatically in any grade in 2010

Avengers 1 -- agree with the consensus, cool book ,but over valued and over rated.

TTA 27 -- tough to find in high grade, but otherwise, who cares. Ant Man? Really?

JIM 83 -- potential for showcase 22 esque run up. If the Thor movie gets good buzz, this book could absolutely explode.

TOS 39 -- had a run up, but expect that and Iron Man 1 to have another resurgence, but I expect a slow and steady gain.

Keep your eyes out for:

TTA 44 - 1st Wasp, a tough book and presuming the Avengers moves come to bear, Wasp is the most important female (arguably) in the Marvel Universe. Want to talk undervalued and tough to find in high grade? That's this book.

TOS 50, 52, 57 -- in general, TOS is picking up steam. The first Mandarin, first Black Widow, and first Hawkeye will all continue to pick up steam.

Cap 100 -- I normally wouldn't put this on here... but I think similar to Iron Man 1 Cap 100 will have a similar run up -- it's a cheaper alternative with a very cool cover.

(thumbs u

TALES OF SUSPENSE #65

I don't readily know the significance of the book off the top of my head, my guess is many don't either

I would agree...with 9.4s pushing 100K (will have to watch the clink 9.2 and 9.4)

I think the market has valued it appropriately...will always experience demand, though I doubt any "huge" price increases are in store...steady

it was run up (movie hype) and has cooled down, but still above former levels...important enough SA book, but second tier to the "big boys"

relatively comman, and tougher to sell at strong prices (i.e. rising)...weaker SA demand, no reason demand will increase relative to supply

great book, tough in higher grade, good demand relative to supply, always seems to sell well

this book ran up quite a bit with the Iron Man movie...I suspect other than high grade (as in 9.0 and higher), it is fully valued and will experience mild value increase at best

this book, much like AF 15 of 2008, has experienced INCREDIBLE upward price movements in the past year and is , as expected, going through a cooling off period... look for strong demand (second wave) as movie is closer... readily available in lower grade, near impossible in high grade...

NOT HULK 1 (OVERVALUED - THEY ARE AVAILABLE AND NOT AS ICONIC AS SPIDERMAN SO SHOULD NOT BE IN SAME LEAGUE AS ASM1). BOTH MOVIES FLOPPED DESPITE 2ND MOVIE IMPROVEMENT

not going to harp on what every other poster has mentioned... this is among the toughest of all SA key books to find in grade, and has the greatest potential for price increase, except there is not enough supply to drive up prices relative to demand...if more copies came to market, we would see a HUGE explosion in pricing...but, I think most folks realize that lower grade is pretty much the majority of supply

My thinking is almost the same...but Gator has more market insight than me. (worship)

TOS 65 is the first SA appearance of the Red Skull -- possible run up, if there is going to be one, it will be in the second half of 2010. This book will likely

AF 15 -- look for stabilization and actually a drop in prices (as has already occurred in 2009 in grades 6.5 and below). Long term, the best SA book to me.

X-Men 1 -- Maybe in high grade, otherwise, I see very little movement on this book in mid and low grades.

ASM 1 -- Likewise, no real reason for this book to move up dramatically in any grade in 2010

Avengers 1 -- agree with the consensus, cool book ,but over valued and over rated.

TTA 27 -- tough to find in high grade, but otherwise, who cares. Ant Man? Really?

JIM 83 -- potential for showcase 22 esque run up. If the Thor movie gets good buzz, this book could absolutely explode.

TOS 39 -- had a run up, but expect that and Iron Man 1 to have another resurgence, but I expect a slow and steady gain.

Keep your eyes out for:

TTA 44 - 1st Wasp, a tough book and presuming the Avengers moves come to bear, Wasp is the most important female (arguably) in the Marvel Universe. Want to talk undervalued and tough to find in high grade? That's this book.

TOS 50, 52, 57 -- in general, TOS is picking up steam. The first Mandarin, first Black Widow, and first Hawkeye will all continue to pick up steam.

Cap 100 -- I normally wouldn't put this on here... but I think similar to Iron Man 1 Cap 100 will have a similar run up -- it's a cheaper alternative with a very cool cover.

I love to hear what brian has to say (Thumbs u

TALES OF SUSPENSE #65

Keep your eyes out for:

hm

So is 2010 the year for TOS, whether it's 39, 48, 50, 52 etc. ?

TALES OF SUSPENSE #65

Keep your eyes out for:

hm

So is 2010 the year for TOS, whether it's 39, 48, 50, 52 etc. ?

For me, yes. I've seen more attention paid, and I'm talking from the grass roots local comic store level, to TOS than ever before. Even those previously unmoveable #s in the mid 70s on up. I think it's an incredible title that has long been ignored. Now of course, 48, 49, 50, 52, 57, 58 and 59 were always "keys" but I believe you'll see even more focus on them moving forward throughout this year.

When you look at this from a percentage standpoint, books like the one Donut mentioned TOS 97, are good examples that will have huge percentage gains. In real dollars, there may likely be another book that will go even higher, but for my money, I want to look at it from a percentage standpoint as well. And in terms of percentage gains, I love TOSs as a pick. Now that being said, there are also a number of other books I love -- I always love Adams anything, keys, etc. But if I was looking at the two best Marvel titles overall, I'd look long and hard at JIMs and TOSs.

Interesting observation.

I too agree that TOS has long been ignored when you consider the iconic characters that called that title home. I think that the title ending before 1970 may have pushed it to the back burner of fanboy consciousness. (thumbs u

Why is the Wasp important?

Hey, I'm not knocking Cap 100 but isn't that book like his 80th issue/appearence in the Silver Age? Not sure how much of an upswing the movie would generate.

Interesting note: Since Showcase 22 pulled back a little, Journey Into Mystery 83 and Shiowcase 22 are valued the same in almost all grades.

I don`t think a 9.0 JIM 83 could get anywhere close to $60K.

Interesting note: Since Showcase 22 pulled back a little, Journey Into Mystery 83 and Shiowcase 22 are valued the same in almost all grades.

I agree. 7.5 and above is where SC 22 price movement stampede JIM 83

I have the nicest raw 4.0 around.

I suspect that I bought mine at a different price point than you though :grin:

Tales of Suspense #65

That would be great since I have graded 9.4 copy.

I bought my copy along with #66 from a convention back in '89. Bought them a whole lot cheaper then they are going now. Good pick up on your 4.0 copy.

Probably correct, because Showcase 22 9.0 is the top grade, but I think it'd have to be correlated to a similar top grade. I do think there will be a huge run up.

TTA 44 1st Wasp is a key book for two reasons to me:

1) the Wasp will almost have to be in the Avengers movie as they search for female leads

2) the Wasp is arguably the most important female character (possibly sue storm, but she was so weak for so long) in Marvel Universe history.

Probably correct, because Showcase 22 9.0 is the top grade, but I think it'd have to be correlated to a similar top grade. I do think there will be a huge run up.

TTA 44 1st Wasp is a key book for two reasons to me:

1) the Wasp will almost have to be in the Avengers movie as they search for female leads

2) the Wasp is arguably the most important female character (possibly sue storm, but she was so weak for so long) in Marvel Universe history.

I hear you brian, I just have a REAL hard time getting excited about the wasp (shrug)