• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Announcing: Signature Services, SSD for all your Signature Series needs!

270 posts in this topic

George,

As a consumer/client, you have nothing to worry about. Yes, we will run into difficult obstacles, 1 or 2 which may be difficult to overcome, but I will make things to customers of SSD as simple as possible. If we accept a submission, your books will get done, granted the creator is there. If we do not accept your submission, we will state why. Let us worry about the rest.

Danny

:thumbsup:

Things are pretty much not going to change for someone like yourself, George, who is looking to get some signatures done at a show.

I'll be at NYC 2-27 for example making sure that all our books get done, as I will be in Emerald City with several others.

Sketch cover requests on a case by case basis, going forward, depending on who you want and what you want. Trust me...this all sounds more confusing then it needs to be.

Send us your books for signatures, we'll take care of the rest.

I give. :foryou:

I have no doubt that for signatures obtained at a single show, things will be pretty much the same from the consumer's standpoint as long as we're not talking about adding signatures to a yellow label book.

And let's see how well the system works for obtaining multiple signatures at different events and whether that results in any increased costs. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but I can't see how it won't in many cases--before, a witness could hold on to a book and take it from show to show, but now, the book has to be surrendered to the CAW or CGC, presumably sent to CGC if the CAW is not going to the next event, sent from CGC to the the next event, and so on. If CGC is at the event, maybe all that shipping won't get charged to the facilitator, but I can't imagine that CGC is going to eat that shipping cost if the books are not included with other items that CGC is shipping to or from a show (oops, there I go being negative again--that deserves a good slap :slapfight:).

The questions I have is...

Were all former witnesses approached?

Is this cgc approved? Ie: is there an agreement with ssd and cgc to make sure caws are available?

This service is optional, correct? People can still get ss without the services of ssd?

Since some involved have stated that they will not deal with certain people in sales threads on the boards, are the bias going to continue with the new service?

That is the biggest thing bugging me. How can we be assured that this will be kept at a minimum or hopefully non-existent?

Not trying to stir trouble, just the actions of few have kind of....well....brought up the questions, not necessarily nice or happy questions, but ones I want to know the answer to .

I have much respect for the majority of the former witnesses in this new endevour, but I felt a public posting of the questions and any follow up questions would serve the members of this board.

J

The questions I have is...

Were all former witnesses approached?

As to what, the forming of this group?

Is this cgc approved? Ie: is there an agreement with ssd and cgc to make sure caws are available?

We are working within the CGC guidelines and if we have committed to show, there is a CAW in place, placed there by CGC. We have no say in who the CAW is, nor would we.

This service is optional, correct? People can still get ss without the services of ssd?

People are free to work with whomever they choose. Whether it is this group or it is another facilitator taking books to get signed. People also still have the option of dropping books off at a show where CGC is present.

Since some involved have stated that they will not deal with certain people in sales threads on the boards, are the bias going to continue with the new service?

Good question...If you are a person that has been shown 'bias' you are free to contact us and we will talk about it there via PM. The Bias discussed has to do with a disagreement last week between board members. We as a group will not be discussing it via this thread, as everything will get off topic very quickly.

That is the biggest thing bugging me. How can we be assured that this will be kept at a minimum or hopefully non-existent?

Not trying to stir trouble, just the actions of few have kind of....well....brought up the questions, not necessarily nice or happy questions, but ones I want to know the answer to .

I have much respect for the majority of the former witnesses in this new endevour, but I felt a public posting of the questions and any follow up questions would serve the members of this board.

Hopefully that answered some questions and others are on a personal basis and can be answered via PM.

Just wanted to add that we are very happy with the overwhelming reponse and look forward to working with a lot of people. Many the same people we have worked with as individuals over the past years.

A lot of questions are being asked in this thread as to the new direction of the program and guidelines. While we like to answer as much as we can, the bottom line is those answers are best answered by Paul or Joe (the New SS Director).

Anything stated as an answer is to the best of our knowledge and not a statement provided by CGC.

The bottom line is this:

If you would like to submit books to a show where we are facilitators, we will do everything possible to get your books signed. Professionally and with the utmost care for your books. We will work within the new guidelines that CGC has provided us and look forward to continuing on with the relationships that each of us as individuals have fostered and been a part of, both professionally and personally!

JJ

Are members of the SSD required to "share" submissions? If Member A receives 100 submissions, Member B receives 20 and SSD as a group receives an addittional 50 then is Member A required to split the total submissions with Member B?

Long story short do the members of the SSD have submission obligations to SSD?

Are members of the SSD required to "share" submissions? If Member A receives 100 submissions, Member B receives 20 and SSD as a group receives an addittional 50 then is Member A required to split the total submissions with Member B?

Long story short do the members of the SSD have submission responsibilities to SSD?

Whomever is the faciliator of the show it will be announced as we are ready to accept books for submission. Books will be sent to that particular individual. That faciliator will then handle the books for that show.

I know I'll definitely be working with this group. I sent some subs to Mid-Ohio Con with pirate last October. I was the only person to sub anything for Herb Trimpe to sign, rather than blow it off and return the book to me and give an excuse he got it done (it got a grade bump to boot). It really tells you that someone cares about what they're doing when they go that extra mile.

In all honesty, you really can't beat any of these guys. I would trust any of them with the keys to my house, much less a comic. Well, maybe not MutantKeys or pirate (with the house keys, that is.) :baiting:

Beat me! Beat me!

Thanks Jim! (thumbs u

In all honesty, you really can't beat any of these guys. I would trust any of them with the keys to my house, much less a comic. Well, maybe not MutantKeys or pirate (with the house keys, that is.) :baiting:

Beat me! Beat me!

Thanks Jim! (thumbs u

You and jespersen have always had me at hello. <3

Can I still send my books to Desertwind Comics,Mutantkeys or JJ to get my books sign? (shrug)

You can send them to whomever you like, depending on who is facilitating (I hate typing that word) the event.

I can tell you that each and everyone of the witnesses or former witnesses always have a done a great job, whether this group or outside of this group. Any of them who offer their services will be top notch. We are just one of a few offering now!

Beat me! Beat me!

Thanks Jim! (thumbs u

You and jespersen have always had me at hello. <3

sigh, you spelled my name right too :cloud9:...looks like dinner is on me next time (taking Andy's CC of course to pay for it all...)

Can I still send my books to Desertwind Comics,Mutantkeys or JJ to get my books sign? (shrug)

You can send them to whomever you like, depending on who is facilitating (I hate typing that word) the event.

I can tell you that each and everyone of the witnesses or former witnesses always have a done a great job, whether this group or outside of this group. Any of them who offer their services will be top notch. We are just one of a few offering now!

That's good to hear :grin:

I love you too, Jim

Ok, so I'll play bad guy. If your not CGC employees and you no longer witnesses, and you cant open slabbed yellow labels, doesnt that just make you one of us?

Basically, according to the 2010 rules you guys are acting as CGC mailbox.Collectors mail their books to you to drop off at the cgc booth. Cant anyone on the board can do that?

If there's so many of you guys, what would be the benefit of you guys all going to same one event especially since you dont have your Pre 2010"witness powers"?

Ok, even though I'm not a member of SSD, I feel like I need to play the good guy because I don't think these concerns were answered in the last few pages. (and if they were, forgive the repetition) Here is my take on it, and guys, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. While the members of SSD are not witnesses or employees, they are Facilitators, which means they can accept books before a show, prepare the books for the convention, and do all the necessary paperwork steps. The only difference is that another person will be acting as the official witness when the comic gets autographed. (Yes, a facilitator cannot crack a previous SS book for additional signatures, so there are 2 differences)

A customer can only drop the book off at the CGC booth and hope that the book gets signed, or get in line for a creator, call CGC and have an employee come over to witness the signing. In my opinion, a customer may have a better chance of ensuring their comic book gets done by using a facilitator. Plus, CGC is not accepting books before a con, whereas facilitators can accept books, which means customers can get books done without attending a con.

2. The real value in these former witnesses forming a group is as follows - If the members pool their customer submissions, they can ensure that CGC will provide the necessary witness that is DEDICATED to those customer submissions only. That further ensures that those customer submissions will be handled and handled with care. Each customer's books will still be graded and returned separately, but the overall volume of submissions from one "group" will count towards securing an official employee/witness for the time needed.

3. Let me take this one step further. Let's say that there is a comic convention that CGC was NOT going to set up at. If the SSD group can guarantee enough customer submissions, then that group will be able to procure a CGC employee/witness. That means that comics that didn't have a chance of getting signed/graded will now be completed! If a group like this did not exist, customers could theoretically have their choices reduced to the number of shows that CGC can afford to attend.

4. There is also another benefit that I'm sure most people don't realize right away. Let's say that 5 of SSD's members are getting customer books done for a particular con. Individually, those 5 members, each with their own stack of books, are going to approach most, if not all, of the same creators throughout the weekend. Now, with approx. 1 facilitator per show, theoretically the group will only need to approach each creator ONCE throughout the show, and the increased volume will allow the SSD group to perhaps make arrangements with the creator so as not to impact the creator's normal signing lines, making EVERYBODY happier! I'm actually pushing for a collaborative system like this for all shows, but SSD will most likely coordinate their books anyway to be more efficient.

5. Finally, these are not just "comic enthusiasts" that have banded together to get comics signed. These are EXPERIENCED professionals who have YEARS of experience between them, and most importantly, EXISTING CONNECTIONS with creators. Heck, some creators rely on these guys as art representatives or convention coordinators, so their access to creators is much better than an average comic fan.

They know the players.

They know how to handle comics.

They know the CGC paperwork and system.

You can hate the game all you want, but don't hate the players. :) (Yes, I wrote that just to be funny)

Nuff said. Another "Elad Long" post for your perusal... :)

Joel