• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bernard Baily Spectre page on eBay

114 posts in this topic

does anyone yet know who won the Spectre splash.. he/she/or both .. needs to be congratulated on a spectacular addition to their collection

I'd be surprised if it was going in a collection. I think we could all make a short list of people who likely bought it and will try selling for multiples within the year.

a friend told me he got it

Black Hole

Who????

That is good to hear that such a great piece ended up with a collector, instead of with one of the usual dealers who would have relisted at triple the original ebay price.

what is with all the dealer hate??

I hear this all the time and honestly I don't get people's thinking this way

If it wasn't for dealers - you'd have no hobby and no access to merchandise. it doesn't get any simpler.

Dealers do not drive up prices by themselves.. there has to be a clientelle willing to spend the money and for my money, I think collectors are more guilty than dealers in driving prices.

is it jealousy because a dealer beats you out of something, so all dealers are bad because yuo either didn't want to spend enough or because they're "Johnny on the spot" and you weren't

Look, if you don't want to see page tripled in price from a prior auctions - then you should buy it. If you don't, there isn't really anything to gripe about.

I can't tell you how many times I sold something to a collector, who sold it to a collector who sold it to a collector & it's tripled in price in a short time.. I could care less what someone else sells it for.. I got mine!! Everyone should have that philosophy.

Hey Richard,

I don't know that it is dealer hate so much as glad it is owned by someone that loves the page and will hold on to it. I think many people (myself included) hate seeing items that just seem to circulate around forever never finding a home. It is always great seeing something go into someones long term collection.

And for the record, there are many dealer I really like and appriciate being able to pick up stuff from (thumbs u

Greg

Hey Richard,

I don't know that it is dealer hate so much as glad it is owned by someone that loves the page and will hold on to it. I think many people (myself included) hate seeing items that just seem to circulate around forever never finding a home. It is always great seeing something go into someones long term collection.

And for the record, there are many dealer I really like and appriciate being able to pick up stuff from (thumbs u

Greg

that sounds like a fair statement. It is nice when something finds a good home.

I chose not to have any "friends" in the 'Comic-art community"

Me too

It's one thing to choose not to have friends, it's another to hide behind an alias so you can make comments with impunity. Don't confuse the two.

:golfclap:

:golfclap: :golfclap:

i know you are right in many many ways... i should just agree with you and move on.

i just tend to read what someone has to say in the here and now and will judge

it without recalling who they are, what they have said in the past, or what others

think about them.

i am also a sucker for an underdog ;-) and have a desire to always play the devil's

advocate.

thanks for taking the time to type your message. you make a lot of sense.

If you are confusing "Tyler" for an "underdog", then you're just admitting you don't know what you're talking about here. If you are feeling some kinship with "Tyler" (aka "Krazy Kat" aka "Brad Savage" aka "Baby Gravy" aka Matthew Reischer) because you both share anonymity, then you should choose who you associate with more carefully.

"Tyler" is the type who will ask a long-time collector who has been battling a serious illness for years why he isn't dead yet. Not to his face, of course, but as an anonymous troll on the Comicart-L e-mail list. He doesn't identify himself not because he's worried about privacy, but so he can consistently post that sort of with impugnity. He's the guy who'd love to fart in a crowded room and then hide in the corner tee-heeing to himself. He'd never have the guts to actually do it, but on the internet, he can come close.

It's too bad, because if he wasn't such a chicken, he might actually contribute something to the conversation. But he prefers to preserve the silly raconteur persona and hide behind it. What's ironic is that he's actually revealing quite a bit about himself by doing so. I've never met the guy, but I can imagine what he's like in real life, and I'll bet I'm not that far off.

I generally don't take anonymous posters seriously, but especially not those who desire to play devil's advocate. Talk about a completely neutered viewpoint. Why bother.

What a great post!