• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bernard Baily Spectre page on eBay

114 posts in this topic

The manners on this board are atrocious.

That's so weird, when I was a child one of the first lessons in proper manners I was taught was that it was impolite to fail to introduce yourself upon entering a room.

That's so weird, when I was a child one of the first lessons in proper manners I was taught was that it was impolite to fail to introduce yourself upon entering a room.

This isnt a room. Its the Internet.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, even if it's stunningly obvious hypocrisy.

You talk about poor manners on this board while completely ignoring your own poor manners. Par for the course I guess.

Classy. (thumbs u

You talk about poor manners on this board while completely ignoring your own poor manners. Par for the course I guess.

Classy. (thumbs u

hey man.. it's all about his "Christian sensibilities"

Classy. (thumbs u

hey man.. it's all about his "Christian sensibilities"

Rich, you've got to let this one go. I KNOW Tyler brought it up in the first place on another thread, but this isn't helping your argument. There are Christians who are jerks and there are atheists who are jerks. Let it go.

Scott Williams

Scott

that isn't a dig on anyone else other than Tyler. Whatever someone's religious or political philosphies one has I believe are their business and I respect them. Tyler's use of the term in the thread where he dogs David Mandel made him a foil for parody on that particular comment and I most certainly have not used it as comedic flair aimed at anyone else. There is no reason for anyone to be insulted by my use of the term

Rich

Scott

that isn't a dig on anyone else other than Tyler. Whatever someone's religious or political philosphies one has I believe are their business and I respect them. Tyler's use of the term in the thread where he dogs David Mandel made him a foil for parody on that particular comment and I most certainly have not used it as comedic flair aimed at anyone else. There is no reason for anyone to be insulted by my use of the term

Rich

I understand Rich. Really. But trust me, it's in EVERYONES interest to keep this a religion and politics free zone. Things just get completely out of control when these two hot button issues are touched on. I really would like to keep things on topic as much as possible (comic art) and dropping these little land mines along the way pretty much guarantees that things will go decidedly off topic.

Scott Williams

Spectre isn't a character I collect but I can certainly appreciate that splash. It's just a fantastic (and rare) example of art from the Golden Age of a character co-created by Bailey.

Off Topic: This was before my time but I believe "Krazy Kat" was permanently BANNED from these message boards by the moderators for shilling. Periodically, he re-appears under a new alias. Once other boardies figure out the new alias, they notify the the moderators and that alias will also be banned from the boards.

If anyone has a beef with him, just click on the "Notify" button to reach the moderators instead of trying to debate him and going way off topic. As the saying goes .... Don't feed the troll.

Now back to our regular scheduled programming ......

Cheers!

N.

Spectre isn't a character I collect but I can certainly appreciate that splash. It's just a fantastic (and rare) example of art from the Golden Age of a character co-created by Bailey.

Off Topic: This was before my time but I believe "Krazy Kat" was permanently BANNED from these message boards by the moderators for shilling. Periodically, he re-appears under a new alias. Once other boardies figure out the new alias, they notify the the moderators and that alias will also be banned from the boards.

If anyone has a beef with him, just click on the "Notify" button to reach the moderators instead of trying to debate him and going way off topic. As the saying goes .... Don't feed the troll.

Now back to our regular scheduled programming ......

Cheers!

N.

Look, let's keep the topic focused back to comic books

I don't want to ruin this thread or this board

For the record, i am not KK or any shill alias

If u read back this thread, you will see it was I who was attacked, not the other way around

You know, I think I agree with that statement. I took the advice to look back on this thread to see who "started it" a bit further and looked at all the posts on the OA board going back to August of last year which was the first post under this name.

For the most part the posts were all normal comments on whatever the subject was. On 10/31 he popped into a thread discussing illustration art to call everyone "horny comic book geeks" which was just taken as a joke. The trouble was mainly with the 11/4 post where he insulted Dave because he didn't get his humor and that's where the "sensibilities" issue came from.

A few more flair-ups with other collectors mostly because his anonymity and everyone's memory of the comment about Dave made them think he's a troll or the return of KK. Combine that with a few instances of predicting OA being undervalued and his willingness to mix-it-up and people were convinced he was the new identity for KK.

From what I remember of KK, he didn't waste much time with posts that weren't meant to inflame or just start a fight outright. I think if he signed his posts all along this could just have been written off as a misunderstanding long ago and there would be no resentment or flare-ups anymore.

So, unless there's something I didn't see, I don't believe this is KK. I'm not saying you should like what he says or trust anything anyone writes anonymously. Just don't ASSUME this is KK when responding.

You know, I think I agree with that statement. I took the advice to look back on this thread to see who "started it" a bit further and looked at all the posts on the OA board going back to August of last year which was the first post under this name.

For the most part the posts were all normal comments on whatever the subject was. On 10/31 he popped into a thread discussing illustration art to call everyone "horny comic book geeks" which was just taken as a joke. The trouble was mainly with the 11/4 post where he insulted Dave because he didn't get his humor and that's where the "sensibilities" issue came from.

A few more flair-ups with other collectors mostly because his anonymity and everyone's memory of the comment about Dave made them think he's a troll or the return of KK. Combine that with a few instances of predicting OA being undervalued and his willingness to mix-it-up and people were convinced he was the new identity for KK.

From what I remember of KK, he didn't waste much time with posts that weren't meant to inflame or just start a fight outright. I think if he signed his posts all along this could just have been written off as a misunderstanding long ago and there would be no resentment or flare-ups anymore.

So, unless there's something I didn't see, I don't believe this is KK. I'm not saying you should like what he says or trust anything anyone writes anonymously. Just don't ASSUME this is KK when responding.

If people were less accusatory then I think that this board would be more conducive to positive discussions

I will hold out an olive branch to whomever wants to take it

Ruben is mostly correct, but he doesn't explain everyone's ire.

I don't care if he's KK or not. I don't even know who KK was. He was probably around when I was too busy to read and have fun at CGC boards

I don't care if Tyler is a troll.

however, a troll who insults someone (like David who is a fine, outstanding individual) and then tries to backup saying it insults his sensibilities makes himself perfect fodder for humor. It's acting 180 degrees from what he's trying to make you think is his intent that galls people.

I have never called Tyler any names that I can think of, though I do enjoy ridiculing his statements that, to me at least, are ridiculous or ignorant or both. I think he's a perfect foil for jokes.

he's the kind of guy that does not engender anyone taking him seriously on any level that I have seen yet.

olive branch.. no olive branch .. who cares?? if you want to be taken seriously, change your tact.

on anonymity:

I have been on lots of boards over the years and I have always identified myself clearly. I see it as a benefit to have people know who you are because on one hand, they're apt to take you more seriously and on the other, it only grows your reputation and you make more friends that way because you aren't a troll.

In other words, I see people knowing who you are as a benefit

I'm sure if you asked 1000 people why they choose to remain anonymous (except to their friends) you would get 100 different reasons.

something that surprises me is that there are very many people who are anonymous, but include their CAF in their signature which spoils anonymity.

That said, I'm sure most people are anonymous because they just don't bother to add any information to their profile. Other's don't add any inforamation because they intend to be trolls, and we all know there are just way too many trolls out there. Fortunately, trolls really only make up a tiny percentile of a forum's populations. But, like in a packed theatre, one troll yelling "fire" does indeed ruin the show for the other 500 people.

you only need one troll to ruin any party.

does anyone yet know who won the Spectre splash.. he/she/or both .. needs to be congratulated on a spectacular addition to their collection

does anyone yet know who won the Spectre splash.. he/she/or both .. needs to be congratulated on a spectacular addition to their collection

I'd be surprised if it was going in a collection. I think we could all make a short list of people who likely bought it and will try selling for multiples within the year.

I'd be surprised if it was going in a collection. I think we could all make a short list of people who likely bought it and will try selling for multiples within the year.

a friend told me he got it

Black Hole

a friend told me he got it

Black Hole

Honestly glad to hear it!

That is good to hear that such a great piece ended up with a collector, instead of with one of the usual dealers who would have relisted at triple the original ebay price.

Same here... I would have bet we'd see it listed somewhere by the end of the year.

That is good to hear that such a great piece ended up with a collector, instead of with one of the usual dealers who would have relisted at triple the original ebay price.

what is with all the dealer hate??

I hear this all the time and honestly I don't get people's thinking this way

If it wasn't for dealers - you'd have no hobby and no access to merchandise. it doesn't get any simpler.

Dealers do not drive up prices by themselves.. there has to be a clientelle willing to spend the money and for my money, I think collectors are more guilty than dealers in driving prices.

is it jealousy because a dealer beats you out of something, so all dealers are bad because yuo either didn't want to spend enough or because they're "Johnny on the spot" and you weren't

Look, if you don't want to see page tripled in price from a prior auctions - then you should buy it. If you don't, there isn't really anything to gripe about.

I can't tell you how many times I sold something to a collector, who sold it to a collector who sold it to a collector & it's tripled in price in a short time.. I could care less what someone else sells it for.. I got mine!! Everyone should have that philosophy.

If it wasn't for dealers - you'd have no hobby and no access to merchandise. it doesn't get any simpler.

does not that statement seem inaccurate when discussing a piece that sold on

ebay, from collector to collector, with absolutely no professional dealer involvement?