• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smorgasbord of Ultra-High Grade DC War

15 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I ran a "Smorgasbord" thread.

After selling off a few key DC War books over the past couple of years, I decided to sell of some of my remaining SA and BA books in the current ComicLink Featured Auction.

Here's the first:

Our Army at War #143

CGC 9.4, with Off-White Pages (old label, so the PQ could actually be significantly better if resubbed)

Tied with 2 other copies for highest grade awarded by CGC, based on the most recent Census.

Gorgeous screaming red cover. Purchased from Eides off eBay in 2002.

oaw143CLscan.jpg

Next up is this beeyootiful Our Army at War #181.

CGC 9.6 with White pages!

Tied with one other copy for the highest grade given by CGC based on the most recent Census. The other 9.6 copy sold for $623 on ComicLink in August 2009. I don't know what the PQ was or how well centered it was.

Awesome Russ Heath cover. Very well centered with just a tiny sliver of white spine. A book with fantastic eye appeal when held in person. Did I mention the awesome Russ Heath cover?

Full disclosure: I purchased it in 2004 off eBay from Spectre52, who of course is Matt Nelson. I did not ask him at the time whether the book had been pressed. Hell, I barely knew what pressing was at that time. Has it been pressed? Probably, given the source.

oaw181clscan.jpg

Moving into the BA, we`ve got Our Army at War #229.

CGC 9.4 with Off-White pages (old label, so PQ could be higher if resubbed).

A very sharp 64 page giant, better centered than most other high grade copies of this book that I`ve seen.

Purchased on eBay from some guy called bargain-hunter back in 2002.

oaw229clscan.jpg

Not many DC War fans, I guess. My previous "Smorgasbord" threads used to generate more traffic and commentary.

Anyway, we plow on regardless.

Our Army at War #248

CGC 9.6 with White pages.

Based on the most recent Census, this is tied with one other copy at 9.6 and behind only one 9.8 copy.

This is a "Bobcat" book. I bought it raw off eBay from Bobcat Enterprises back in 2002 and slabbed it myself a few years ago. For those that don't know about them, the Bobcat books are incredibly fresh and white BA books that have been slowly released into the market for the past 8 years or so. They are gorgeous in terms of structural integrity and also eye appeal and freshness. I think the average grade of the books that I've submitted to CGC is about 9.7, and only a couple received less than White pages.

Guaranteed to be unpressed, unless the OO pressed them, which is highly unlikely given that these were barely $10 books when they were being sold.

oaw248clscan.jpg

The second to last OAW that I`m putting up in this auction is Our Army at War #259.

Tied with one other copy for the highest grade assigned by CGC as of the most recent Census.

A typically great Kubert cover and a very sharp looking book. I purchased this on a weekly Heritage auction in 2008.

oaw259clscan.jpg

The last OAW in the auction is Our Army at War #262.

CGC 9.8 with White pages.

Tied with one other book for the highest grade handed out by CGC, according to the latest Census.

Another Bobcat book that I purchased raw off eBay in 2002. All the typical traits that make Bobcats so prized among knowledgeable BA collectors. Yeah, it could be better centered, but the immaculate structure and brilliant colors help to compensate.

As with all Bobcat books being sold by me, guaranteed to be unpressed unless the OO was into pressing $10 books. But enough talk, here`s a case of a picture being worth a thousand books.

oaw262clscan.jpg

Thanks to everyone who`s viewed this thread! I hope I`ve been able to provide some insight and background to the books I`m listing in ComicLink`s current Featured Auction and encouraged you to bid! (thumbs u

Our last offering is Star Spangled War Stories #182.

One of only 3 copies tied for the highest grade given by CGC as of the latest Census. This copy features White pages and is fairly well centered (no white stripe down the spine) for a BA book.

Part of the great Unknown Soldier run in this title, with a suspenseful cover by Joe Kubert. Also featuring stories with the previous SSWS cover boy, Enemy Ace, and the lesser known character, but favorite of many DC War cognoscenti, Balloon Buster.

This is also a Bobcat book, purchased by me from Bobcat Enterprises off eBay in 2002. Guaranteed to be unpressed unless the OO was into pressing $1 books.

SSWS182clscan.jpg

Sorry, none. :(

I guess Rock and Easy Co. were just your typical conventional infantry grunts, so wouldn`t be inserted by parachute, unlike special ops units like Sgt Fury that have lots of airborne covers.

I guess Rock and Easy Co. were just your typical conventional infantry grunts, so wouldn`t be inserted by parachute, unlike special ops units like Sgt Fury that have lots of airborne covers.

:( You make a good observation though between the two titles that I didn't think of before.

:( You make a good observation though between the two titles that I didn't think of before.

I think that`s why you don`t find many parachute covers in the Big 5 covers, at least not in the issues that had recurring characters. I don`t think any of the recurring characters were ever part of an airborne unit.

Rock was conventional infantry.

Haunted Tank was, well, a tank. The 82nd used to make a big show of being able to drop a Sheridan, but the fact is they NEVER really did it because it completely messed the tank up afterwards. lol

Enemy Ace I think had at least one, although the parachute was being used to save his arse rather than as a method of insertion into combat. lol

The Losers and Unknown Soldier were more like special ops, but I don`t really recall any parachute covers, although I`m not an expert on either of those characters.