• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

America's Best Sitcom - Seinfeld vs Mash Runoff

59 posts in this topic

You'd have to be an anti-dentite low-talker in a puffy shirt to vote against Seinfeld. :preach:

No show has more memorable and quotable lines. That alone makes it the best sitcom ever in my book. I can rattle off a hundred from Seinfeld, but I'll be darned if I can remember more than just the basic plot lines of MASH.

It's a junior mint. It's very refreshing.

There was shrinkage!

No soup for you!

My boys can swim!

Hello, Newman.

Now it's time for the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people.

How could they not like you?

That's my nipple!

But I've got hand!

..and you're gonna need it.

Helloooo!

You are sooooo good lookin',

..and there's all those awesome characters!

Mr Pitt

Mr Peterman

Babu

Soup Nazi

The Drake

Bania

Morty and Helen

Frank and Estelle

UNCLE LEO!

Best TV comedy EVAR. :)

I love MASH. It's the one show that plays with the emotions. It's sad, happy, tragic, hilarious, depressing, hopeful, etc. They have some cool characters--Hotlips (a great name), Klinger--hairy guy in drag, two doctors which make thier own booze and yet patch up soldiers which only go back to fight, and so on. Good stuff.

Seinfeld only has funny--not a bad thing. Love the soup nazi and the pirate shirt. Not to mention when Kramer gets that old talk show set and sets it up in his place. Funny stuff.

Maybe I'm dating myself when I say I love MASH.

Oh, and the theme song for MASH, the one with lyrics, is the saddest song I ever heard. Suicide is Painless= :(

In Seinfeld, I could never get past the narcissism. I know it's the foundation of each character, and brought out the humor in their behavior, but it was too much for me. I can't regularly follow characters that made me ashamed to be a human.

I know, too dark. But you get what I'm saying, whether you agree or not.

As for MASH, the only thing that dragged it into the "sit-com" category was the laugh track that was forced on the producers. Without it, the show would be much darker. And better overall, imo.

Doesn't matter either way; my 1st choice is Married With Children as best lowbrow comedy...Malcolm In The Middle for best middle class comedy...and Frasier for upper-crust comedy.

Rick

As I mentioned in the Water Cooler...its very simple.

In this order

Mash

Taxi

Cheers

Newhart

Seinfeld

If you have never seen Reverend Jim taking his driving exam you owe it to yourself to look it up. Taxi was a funny show.

You'd have to be an anti-dentite low-talker in a puffy shirt to vote against Seinfeld. :preach:

No show has more memorable and quotable lines. That alone makes it the best sitcom ever in my book. I can rattle off a hundred from Seinfeld, but I'll be darned if I can remember more than just the basic plot lines of MASH.

There was shrinkage!

No soup for you!

My boys can swim!

Hello, Newman.

Now it's time for the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people.

That's my nipple!

But I've got hand!

Helloooo!

Mr Pitt

Mr Peterman

Babu

Soup Nazi

The Drake

Bania

Morty and Helen

Frank and Estelle

UNCLE LEO!

You forgot:

"They're real and they're spectacular"

" I don't wanna be a pirate"

and

"Her name rhymes with a female body part"

"Is it Mulva?"

"Ohhhhhh, Delores"

and character flaws

Man Hands.

Low Talker

Close Talker

There was shrinkage!

No soup for you!

My boys can swim!

Hello, Newman.

That's my nipple!

But I've got hand!

Helloooo!

Mr Pitt

Mr Peterman

Babu

Soup Nazi

The Drake

Bania

Morty and Helen

Frank and Estelle

UNCLE LEO!

You forgot:

"They're real and they're spectacular"

" I don't wanna be a pirate"

and

"Her name rhymes with a female body part"

"Is it Mulva?"

"Ohhhhhh, Delores"

and character flaws

Man Hands.

Low Talker

Close Talker

Nice! :lol: Some more for the mix:

Puddy

Crazy Joe Davola

Tim Whatley

The Jimmy ("Jimmy's gonna get you Kramer!")

The Maestro

Mickey

The Marble Rye

"You're a very, very bad man."

"I'm an Architect."

"I'm a Marine Biologist."

"I'm George!! I'm George!!"

Peterman was always my favorite.

Loved it when he spoke a "Susie's" (the girl Elaine made up) wake about how he and she gave into passion one night while working late.

Or when he thought Elaine was on heroin.

I understand that MASH was portrayed as a sitcom, but it wasn't. It might have had a couple of funny moments each show, but that was about it. The fact that the star character of the show made a lot of jokes and a co-star was in drag doesn't make it a comedy. The show was making a political statement, a statement on history, what have you. Now, Boston Legal, while dealing with serious topics, managed to keep itself a comedy throughout. Monk, serious topics, but the zaniness of Monky so dominates the show it's still a comedy. You might think MASH was the greatest show ever, but I don't think that makes it the best sitcom ever. Every minute of Seinfeld was meant to make you laugh or at least cringe.

I became a huge fan of Everybody Loves Raymond (though always watching it as re-runs even when it was still on the air). It takes a couple of episodes to suck you in though, which wasn't necessary for Seinfeld.

I'll have to give it to Seinfeld, though I know there are a lot of folks who do not like that sort of humor. My wife doesn't like Seinfeld either, but she's sort of a Nazi. Not saying that everyone who doesn't like Seinfeld is a nazi....

Oh, here's another one, which finds itself in the phraesology of so many people I know:

"not that there's anything wrong with that"

At least in my parts it's almost required to tack that on there any time there's any mention of someone being g*y. I say it unconsciously.

As for MASH, the only thing that dragged it into the "sit-com" category was the laugh track that was forced on the producers. Without it, the show would be much darker. And better overall, imo.

Oddly enough in England MASH was transmitted without the laugh track and, because it was on the BBC, no commercials either.

When I first saw an episode on U.S. T.V., I couldn't watch it - the ads every three minutes were one thing, but the canned laughter changed the program completely fo me, making it far more trite and twee than it was.