• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Golden Age Comic Cover

73 posts in this topic

Since the "poor boy" is Toro, I wonder if the flame from the brand would even hurt him.

Man, some of Schomburg's covers are bizarre! I wonder where he got these crazy ideas from?

Whether the fire would hurt him or not, Toro doesn't look too thrilled. I guess I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to go through life with a swastika branded on my back either!

Why doesn't the little guy just flame on and burn the ropes?

For the same reason that the pretty girl always walks right into a haunted house alone in every horror movie! wink.gif

It looks like you got an error cover to boot. Note that the two brands are different.

Thanks for the sharp eye, Ted, I never would have noticed that.

Great cover ... would you have paid $225 if it had the purple cover? I haved a theory that "restored" books that would qualify for slight restoration under CGC guidelines sell for more if accurately described and unslabbed.

Great cover ... would you have paid $225 if it had the purple cover?

Yeah, probably. On Golden Age I don't have a big problem with restoration. On most books from this era someone has usually tampered with it so it's almost expected. Ultra high grade unrestored GA is out of my range price wise, so I'll settle for low grade or even restored.

SA, on the other hand, doesn't bother me if it's mid to low grade, but it can't be restored. I would buy a key SA restored-AF 15, AS 1, FF1,etc.-but only for a very reasonable price.

Here's to books nobody has mentioned, but they don't take a back seat to anybody.

Phantom Lady 17 the Action #1 of it's genre and a lot prettier...oh yeah and still so cheap...jeesh costs less than early high grade and more plentiful Spidermans. Give me a stack of Phantom Lady's.

Phantom Lady 13...Beauty and the Beast...put it with the 17 and you have the perfect pair...

Wonder Comics 1 Nedor...absolutely overlooked cover...outrageous Hitler - Tojo tied at the stake...incredible flag cover...albeit minor hero Grim Reaper, but dig the skull and crossbones...go Schombug and see how cheap it is in guide for a Golden Age #1.

Captain Marvel Adventures 17...for a dominant title...not to many leap out covers, but this books painted cover is simply stunning....

Runner Up Captain Marvel Adventures is the dynamite Uncle Sam Cover #16...along with that beauty done by Lou Fine I think it was in National Comics

Seven Seas #4 hottest shark cover there is....take that Hit 5, you lose...swordfish

Politically Incorrect Words...Captain Marvel Adventures 14 Swat the Japs...but that's nothing Superman says go Slap A Jap in Action 58...somebody do that and tell the judge Superman told you to do it smile.gif

Speaking of Actions...#63 the Superman kills somebody cover...OK maybe it's just a threatening fist...but I think hmmm...he said slap a jap...on an airplane punch the pilot...he's a dead man...yup Superman is going to kill the man...

Master Comics 22 extremely unusual cover for a Fawcett and great contents

Whiz 25...watch them sparks fly...great cover to go with great contents in one of the greatest origen stories in comicdom

Black Terror #17 Plastic Death

Captain America 46 Holocaust Cover...and 26 second best shark cover after Sevens Seas 4...28 wow is Buckey in a jam or what...32 straining to save the day Captain America...wow

Rangers 3...wild

Ghost 2...sexy black cover...

Batman 11 so cool...

Oh and the best cover...for tonight...drum roll please... Phantom Lady 17, silly... ....less than 10k in guide for the icon book of an entire genre...canary yellow cover...damsal in distress, but she needs no masked man to save her...she's busting free...she's the Phantom Lady....

Favorite covers: Famous Funnies Buck Rogers covers by Frazetta, any airbrush Xela/ Schomburg cover from Exciting, Thrilling, Startling and Wonder

Doiby, I have to ask this question. I know that it will depress me, but I still have to ask it. How much did you pay for the Famous Funnies 213 cover?

Doiby, I have to ask this question. I know that it will depress me, but I still have to ask it. How much did you pay for the Famous Funnies 213 cover?

Not that much, as I recall. I think it was about 80 bucks on eBay. The book is only a Fair/Good, so it's not in the best shape.

All great choices of course.

Let me add just a few of my personal favorite WWII propaganda covers:

National 26 (they started it, but Uncle Sam's gonna finish it!)

Captain Marvel Jr 9 (spirit of '76)

Captain Marvel Jr. 25 (raising the flag)

Honorable mention to Comic Cavalcade #1, the first true wrap-around cover I'm aware of. Anybody know of an earlier one? (could be a new thread here).

Cheers,

Z.

Red Raven 1...Jack Kirby, Master Cinematographer.

Marvel Comics 1 ...Frank Paul, the Father of all the famous Golden age artists who followed him!

Not only does he have the same type of head as Fred Astaire (or Fred Upstairs as Buggs Bunny says) and Arsenio Hall, but he's also over 100 feet tall in this siege cover!!!!