• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a wee problem....

25 posts in this topic

OK, here's an immediate disclaimer; this is an "Troublesome eBay seller" type of post. For those of you who haven't already hit the back button on your browser, here is my problem:

Several weeks ago I hit the BIN on a couple of low-dollar auctions. There were three auctions in total, for three seperate late Silver Age books. All were in high grade (VF+ or better). I pay immediately with Paypal, and receive the three books within the week. Two of the three books were nice high grade books, as described, and close to being accurately graded...the third was an absolute dog (a soiled G/VG when it should have been a VF+).

I contact the seller, thanking him first for the two nice books, but asking if maybe the third was sent to me by mistake, because it resembled neither the scan nor the description given in the auction. He responded within a day, and informed me that his wife sends packs and ships his auctions, so she probably did indeed send the wrong book. He promised a quick resolution by either sending me the right book, or issuing an immediate refund. I was satisfied with this response, and waited. A week went by. Nada. I emailed him with a subtle and tactful reminder. Nada. Another week has gone by and I doubt I will receive either a refund or the right book.

So, what do you make of a circumstance like this? The guy got 2 out of 3 right, but then dropped the ball on the third. My complaint is not for being out $10, because the first two books were worth the $30 I shelled out. I don't want to leave a NEG, especially since he hasn't left feedback for me, but I felt other buyers may want to be wary of a seller that completes "most" of the transaction.

The Seller in question is "wmitchell23". I noticed he recently accumulated a bunch of Neutrals from a buyer because of lack of responsiveness and slow shipping. Well, there is my story, and a word to the wise if you are going to buy from him.

After seeing the thread title I thought you were going to disclose a urinary tract infection you were dealing with. insane.gif

Give him one more week and if you don't get a resolution then leave two positives and one negative. That's what I would (and have) do.

Give him one more week and if you don't get a resolution then leave two positives and one negative. That's what I would (and have) do.

Yeah, and as per this guy's feedback, you'd get 3 NEGs in return. 893whatthe.gif

I'd treat each auction like it was a separate incident, even though everything was shipped together. He gets two positives and a neg. Of course, time should be given for a possible resolution to pop up before you neg. Since he hasn't left you any feedback yet, give him the two positives now and maybe get two back yourself. Hold on the neg until your 30 days is near up, leave him less time to retaliate.

I give sellers the full 2 to 3 month window E-Bay allows before you can no longer file a buyer's complaint or request a refund under E-Bay's $500 protection. I say "2 to 3" month because I think their policies have changed recently...it used to be you couldn't file a complaint until after 2 months, but someone on the boards said it's now 3 months.

If you get no satisfaction after giving them all the time you can within E-Bay's timeframe, I'd leave two positives and one negative as everyone is suggesting. If you don't like the idea of getting a retaliatory negative, then you should obtain a second account in the future for buying only so that the negs don't hurt you as a seller. That's better and less selfish than being a pu$$y and never leaving negatives because you're afraid of getting dinged.

is there only a 30 day window for feedback??? i seem to recall reading it was 90. anyone know for sure??

at any rate, from what i've read here, chances are that this guy might hit you with 3 negs in retaliation for just one from you. now that would suck, so i'd do my best to resolve it before then........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

at any rate, from what i've read here, chances are that this guy might hit you with 3 negs in retaliation for just one from you

Definitely, and DO NOT follow the advice on here of "2 positives and 1 negative" or you'll be back on here complaining that the guy hammered you.

His feedback is there to see, and him laying down 9 (NINE) hard Negs for those Neutrals are plain to see.

Your next course of action should be to get his contact info and call him...if you can't get any type of resolution over the phone or email within a week then give 1 positive and 1 neutral...see how he responds....if he ends up giving a neg then follow up with a neg on the third auction.... thumbsup2.gif

at any rate, from what i've read here, chances are that this guy might hit you with 3 negs in retaliation for just one from you

Definitely, and DO NOT follow the advice on here of "2 positives and 1 negative" or you'll be back on here complaining that the guy hammered you.

His feedback is there to see, and him laying down 9 (NINE) hard Negs for those Neutrals are plain to see.

Totally agree.

First, I'd send another email politely explaining that if you don't receive some form of compensation within one week, you'll be forced to leave neg feedback for that auction and notify eBay and/or SquareTrade and/or request a partial refund from Paypal.

Then, if you're forced to leave the neg, leave only that neg. Save the other two fb opportunities to leave additional negs if the guy turns out to be the arse he's starting to resemble. Stretch out those two later negs by an appropriate period of time so that the seller has a neg on his first page of fb for as long as possible... Make Him Pay.

You guys just like to punish people. If this seller had sent the three books individually, over the course of several weeks, he would get positive, positive, negative. No one sale has anything to do with the other two.

But because the three separate auctions were all shipped at the same time, a common enough concession to combine postage costs, all three now rate a neg? I could see that maybe if it was one auction for three books and 1/3 of the auction turned out to have been materially misrepresented, but not three completely separate auctions.

When you guys win auctions, do you hang on to your feedback privileges just in case you win future auctions from the same guy? Then, if a future auction turns out bad, do you go back and neg all the previous wins, even if you were satisfied originally? That's just plain mean.

Sure, you could end up with a retaliatory neg. So what? We already know that the seller is an [!@#%^&^]. Why make it a contest to see who can be the bigger one?

Sure, you could end up with a retaliatory neg. So what? We already know that the seller is an [!@#%^&^]. Why make it a contest to see who can be the bigger one?

Actually, I didn't intend on leaving a NEG at all, and not just because he obviously has a streak of retaliation. Like I said, the two books I got were very satisfactory, and worth the total that I paid for all three. Besides, do I leave two positives and one negative right after one another? How confusing will that be to anyone who reads the feedback..it'll sure make me look like a flake. If anything, this post was a warning to others, and one that would do more good then contradictory feedback left by the same buyer (at least for those Forum members who read this).

Mom was right...."if you can't say something nice about somebody, don't say anything at all; but let the CGC Forum boards say something nasty for you." 27_laughing.gif

You guys just like to punish people. If this seller had sent the three books individually, over the course of several weeks, he would get positive, positive, negative. No one sale has anything to do with the other two.

But because the three separate auctions were all shipped at the same time, a common enough concession to combine postage costs, all three now rate a neg? I could see that maybe if it was one auction for three books and 1/3 of the auction turned out to have been materially misrepresented, but not three completely separate auctions.

When you guys win auctions, do you hang on to your feedback privileges just in case you win future auctions from the same guy? Then, if a future auction turns out bad, do you go back and neg all the previous wins, even if you were satisfied originally? That's just plain mean.

Exactly, well said. There are alot of hotheads on these boards. I guess after being burned a few times alot of guys turn that way. Many people out for revenge as well, even getting back current dealers for deals gone bad from other dealers in the past. I almost always give a seller two or so months before leaving a negative, which I very rarely ever have. Sometimes things actually DO come up. A sick relative out of town, seller gets in a car crash, seller thinks the buyer is lying (it happens!!!), or any other number of things. I give the benefit of the doubt until all doubts, and time has just about run out. Geez, protect your investments and cash but lighten' up a little unless it is an outright scam. ------Sid