• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Yeah, I bet that guy or gal is not happy. I'm really shocked. It looked like this book had a little momentum. I hope Gator snagged it. It would be just like him to pick it up for a song. The 8.5 Mohawk sold for 28K last year or there abouts.

Yeah, I bet that guy or gal is not happy. I'm really shocked. It looked like this book had a little momentum. I hope Gator snagged it. It would be just like him to pick it up for a song. The 8.5 Mohawk sold for 28K last year or there abouts.

Spread your eggs out in many baskets. Don't depend on one book to pull you through.. :preach:

I thought both SC#4s went for decent prices as well.

I would have expected the 9.0 to dip in the upper 40s. (shrug)

I thought it would had eked a bit above $50K (shrug) It sold cheap.

Agreed. I spoke to the owner last week (at least he told me he was the previous owner for the 9.0) and although I didn't follow the auction or this thread I immediately thought someone got the book cheap. I'd have paid $38K for that book without batting an eye.

Agreed. I spoke to the owner last week (at least he told me he was the previous owner for the 9.0) and although I didn't follow the auction or this thread I immediately thought someone got the book cheap. I'd have paid $38K for that book without batting an eye.

The owner of last week could have sold it directly to you and would have netted more. The market this speak for that book during that time...the danger of timing the market...and the bargains that can be had. It sure makes the 9.2 sell of $100K a bit high. (shrug)

The owner of last week could have sold it directly to you and would have netted more. The market this speak for that book during that time...the danger of timing the market...and the bargains that can be had. It sure makes the 9.2 sell of $100K a bit high. (shrug)

That's exactly what I said to him.

Personally, I think auctions are watering down the markets. Too many great books being offered all at once, too little time and money to see them all.

If if you have the money to buy all these great books up (and many people still do), you can't possibly find the time to check out all the auctions that are running.

It's really becoming a problem for sellers IMO.

I think Green Lantern doing lukewarm at the box office kind of slowed down interest for the silver age DC key comics as well. Here was Green Lantern the hottest thing in comics, but yet it couldn`t beat Green Hornet at the box office. So I see people saying to themselves jeez Flash would probally do even worse at the box office then Green Lantern. Hence this has something to do with the slower sales and interest. The movie hyped comics fad may be coming to an end,at least for DC`s. Marvel probally still has some hype left in them.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

It's becoming a problem for buyers as well. I was so busy with vacation I did not have time to even put a bid in. I would not have passed on that book for less than 45K. Unfortunately, that's the breaks. I feel bad for the owner. Its seems that a sprinkling of seeds with a few dealers might be the way to go before you actually turn it over to one of the houses. I have both good and bad experiences with selling and I am learning. Selling books is about good timing.

It's becoming a problem for buyers as well. I was so busy with vacation I did not have time to even put a bid in. I would not have passed on that book for less than 45K. Unfortunately, that's the breaks. I feel bad for the owner. Its seems that a sprinkling of seeds with a few dealers might be the way to go before you actually turn it over to one of the houses. I have both good and bad experiences with selling and I am learning. Selling books is about good timing.

No reason not to have a reserve on mega high grade books,