• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This For Real?!

22 posts in this topic

The winning bidder is legit. He's a collector of oddball/ scarce books, including whitman variants. That book in particular is one of the "pre-pack only" books that go for a significant premium. It guides for $150 so $1500 isn't that much of a stretch as there aren't a lot of them. Uncle Scrooge #179 is the prime "pre-pack" only book. They were only distributed in the Whitman "pre packs" and not in very significant numbers, so they're basically impossible to find.

The winning bidder is legit. He's a collector of oddball/ scarce books, including whitman variants.

Rob,

I don't dispute the winner or the under-bidder... just saw the 200-something incremental bids by 'mr. zero-feedback' in there, that's all. And - it makes me wonder what the book *might* have gone for without those.

I'm aware of & collect the Whitmans. They are tough! I finally found my copy of US 179 recently and am *very* happy to have it, as I wondered if it was an issue I'd just have to leave out of the US run.

If the winning bidder felt the same way I did, he was probably happy to get it! And, I'd guess that an US 179 slabbed in plastic, at a 9.2, would do very, very well indeed on the open market.

Is there any value in the Superman Whitman's???? I have a couple of issues in NM condition that I did not have to pay a premium for, I just knew they were different so I grabbed them right out of the dealers box.

Not really much of a value. Many of the DC Whitmans guide for slightly more, but they don't really sell all that well. Sometimes they do, but sometimes they just sit. I don't think I've ever sold truly NM copies though so those might do a little better than the standard VG-VF books.

The winning bidder is legit. He's a collector of oddball/ scarce books, including whitman variants.

Rob,

I don't dispute the winner or the under-bidder... just saw the 200-something incremental bids by 'mr. zero-feedback' in there, that's all. And - it makes me wonder what the book *might* have gone for without those.

I'm aware of & collect the Whitmans. They are tough! I finally found my copy of US 179 recently and am *very* happy to have it, as I wondered if it was an issue I'd just have to leave out of the US run.

If the winning bidder felt the same way I did, he was probably happy to get it! And, I'd guess that an US 179 slabbed in plastic, at a 9.2, would do very, very well indeed on the open market.

I was just responding in general, not to you in particular. On top of that, I got ahead of myself- I didn't actually look at the bid history.

I just know there's some confusion over those books on occasion and I know that buyer from a few auctions I was following a couple of months ago (out of the blue he started buying 35 cent variants for very competitive prices), so I just started typing. I was like a runaway train 27_laughing.gif

Congrats on the US 179. What a tough book.

It was only available in the Whitman 3-pack, much like Uncle Scrooge 179, and had VERY low distribution. At one point there was a census of it done, and people could only find 5 of them. Obviously there are more than that now, but I'd believe its a very low number.

I'm not entirely sure - there was something with Whitman distribution. There was an article about it in CBM somewhere. There are several books with the same issue - Uncle Scrooge 179, Donald Duck 222, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 480, Huey, Dewey and Louie 65, Super Goof 61 and others, that have the same scarcity factor. At one point there was a thought that they were only distributed in Canada, but that I don't think is the case anymore.

Look at da sellers name for that CGG graded book.

It's da same guy that bought Greggy's CGC 9.0 restored Avengers #4...had his "buds" at CGG (who happen to be located in the same city as him) regrade it with a 9.2 unrestored World Grade...and then listed it for sale as a pristine "original owner" copy. shocked.gif

It doesn't suprise me a bit that some zero feedback bidder with a name strangely similar to da sellers is spazzing out in one of his auctions. 27_laughing.gif