• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miracleman Books 1-4 (paperback/hardcover)

37 posts in this topic

Looking for a little info on the four collected Miracleman graphic novels. What's a fair price to pay (1-4)? Are the prices in Ebay stores anywhere near realistic? Also, did these books come in both hard cover & paperback? I've always heard they are scarce but don't know whether that is just the hardcovers or both the HC & PB.

Any info is appreciated as I'm looking at making an offer on a set.

Thanks,

Mark

Looking for a little info on the four collected Miracleman graphic novels. What's a fair price to pay (1-4)?

#1 - HC $100-$250

- SC $40-$100

#2 - HC $200-$300

- SC $100-$200

#3 - HC $300-$600

- SC -$150-$300

#4 - HC $100-$200

- SC $50-$100

Are the prices in Ebay stores anywhere near realistic?

They're, of course, all on the high side.

Also, did these books come in both hard cover & paperback?

Yes.

I've always heard they are scarce but don't know whether that is just the hardcovers or both the HC & PB.

Both. All four are very hard to come by.

Any info is appreciated as I'm looking at making an offer on a set.

Thanks,

Mark

There's a set of all four that is currently at $500 (start bid) with 8 days left. I don't doubt that price will rise.

It is so funny that these have become collectible. I bought the Red King Syndrome trade when it came out, so i could read it all the time without having to worry about condition. Needless to say, my copy is more collapsible than collectible.

If your buying these to read be advised there is a good chance Marvel will be reprinting these in the next year at a much cheaper price.

Thanks for all the info people. They were actually sitting in a small collection I was looking at & I just wanted to see if they would cover my cost for the collection if I moved them on ebay. I really had no idea on what they would go for & appreciate the replies.

It included Books 1,2,3 & the Apocrypha trade, but was missing Book 4.

If your buying these to read be advised there is a good chance Marvel will be reprinting these in the next year at a much cheaper price.

Considering Marvel doesn't own the rights to most of the material in these TPB's/HC's, I wouldn't hold my breath on this :grin:

Considering Marvel doesn't own the rights to most of the material in these TPB's/HC's, I wouldn't hold my breath on this :grin:

What he said...Marvel only has the rights to the earlier stuff. The good stuff is far from being reprinted--rereleased. That is a misconception that is currently hurting prices.

Marvel only has the rights to the early MM stuff. None of the Moore books.

The Moore trades/HC's are expensive (if you can find them). If reading them is your interest, you can put the entire Moore/Gaiman run together for cheaper than you can get the trades (with a little bit of patience). The Moore run can be put together cheap (other than 15) and the Gaiman books are all cheap as well (other than 23 & 24).

Even if Marvel gets the rights (which I wouldn't say is a "slam dunk"), the TPB 1st printings will always garner a premium. They've reached a certain status (IMO).

And, since we're on the topic (and we've got alot of "newbies" since it was last discussed), I'd like to know what peoples thoughts are on the Moore/Gaiman back issues...if Marvel does acquire the rights and reprints, do the back issues go up or down in price?

Old discussions were pretty much split down the middle. There are some (me included) that think the reprinting would actually help the back issue prices. Others, think that the only reason the back issues are at their levels are b/c the material isn't reprinted.

I'd love to hear opinions (RMA?).

Old discussions were pretty much split down the middle. There are some (me included) that think the reprinting would actually help the back issue prices. Others, think that the only reason the back issues are at their levels are b/c the material isn't reprinted.

I say it would help the back issue prices especially the latter Gaimen issues as the print run on those were low to begin with.

I say it would help the back issue prices especially the latter Gaimen issues as the print run on those were low to begin with.

That's how I feel. I think there are alot of people that would like to read the MM books (I've never heard anyone give them a bad review), but have stayed away b/c the price point is too high to read.

Reprinting would allow people to read the story, realize how great it really is, and make them say "man, I'd like to own the originals" (that's why I mainly collect SA ASM and FF; not b/c I grew up with those books, but I read them in reprints at a young age).

That's how I feel. I think there are alot of people that would like to read the MM books (I've never heard anyone give them a bad review), but have stayed away b/c the price point is too high to read.

Reprinting would allow people to read the story, realize how great it really is, and make them say "man, I'd like to own the originals" (that's why I mainly collect SA ASM and FF; not b/c I grew up with those books, but I read them in reprints at a young age).

However I believe the first 5 issues are going to take a price drop because there are so many high grade copies available.

However I believe the first 5 issues are going to take a price drop because there are so many high grade copies available.

1st 10 issues are common as dirt. They will be the first to take a hit for sure (although, anyone that pays more than $5 each for any of those books raw, is overspending). 11-16 (Olympus) are really the only Moore books that actually should be $10+ books.

The Gaiman books (17-22) are fairly easy too, especially if you don;t mind the "warehouse/archive" versions. They're everywhere. 23 & 24 are the real toughies of the entire run. #15 is the most expensive, but much easier to find then 23 & 24.

In my experience (and I've had multiples of every issue except 23 & 24), you should be able to easily put together a VF/NM run for the following (and these are max prices):

1-10 - $5-8/each

11-13 - $10/each

14 - $10-15

15 - $75-90

16 - $20

17-22 - $5-10/each

23 & 24 - $25-35/each

Again, these are top $$$ you should budget for. With minimal work, you should be able to beat these prices or pay same for higher grades.

I "stole" my NM- copy of #24 for $8. I bought the entire Moore run (average grade NM) for $160 in one fell swoop a few years ago (ask Foolkiller about that one).

1st 10 issues are common as dirt. They will be the first to take a hit for sure (although, anyone that pays more than $5 each for any of those books raw, is overspending). 11-16 (Olympus) are really the only Moore books that actually should be $10+ books.

The Gaiman books (17-22) are fairly easy too, especially if you don;t mind the "warehouse/archive" versions. They're everywhere. 23 & 24 are the real toughies of the entire run. #15 is the most expensive, but much easier to find then 23 & 24.

In my experience (and I've had multiples of every issue except 23 & 24), you should be able to easily put together a VF/NM run for the following (and these are max prices):

1-10 - $5-8/each

11-13 - $10/each

14 - $10-15

15 - $75-90

16 - $20

17-22 - $5-10/each

23 & 24 - $25-35/each

Again, these are top $$$ you should budget for. With minimal work, you should be able to beat these prices or pay same for higher grades.

I "stole" my NM- copy of #24 for $8. I bought the entire Moore run (average grade NM) for $160 in one fell swoop a few years ago (ask Foolkiller about that one).

In regards to issues #1-16, I'd say you were right on the money - the latter Gaiman issues (with the exception of exceedingly common #17), however, are getting harder to find at the $10 price point. And getting a #24 for less than $50 on ebay is almost impossible - I sold a VF/NM copy for $80 in less than 24 hours on the 'bay last week.

1-10 - $5-8/each

11-13 - $10/each

14 - $10-15

15 - $75-90

16 - $20

17-22 - $5-10/each

23 & 24 - $25-35/each

In regards to issues #1-16, I'd say you were right on the money - the latter Gaiman issues (with the exception of exceedingly common #17), however, are getting harder to find at the $10 price point. And getting a #24 for less than $50 on ebay is almost impossible - I sold a VF/NM copy for $80 in less than 24 hours on the 'bay last week.

Yeah,I notice the prices of the Gaiman books going up too.

Marvel only has the rights to the early MM stuff. None of the Moore books.

The Moore trades/HC's are expensive (if you can find them). If reading them is your interest, you can put the entire Moore/Gaiman run together for cheaper than you can get the trades (with a little bit of patience). The Moore run can be put together cheap (other than 15) and the Gaiman books are all cheap as well (other than 23 & 24).

Even if Marvel gets the rights (which I wouldn't say is a "slam dunk"), the TPB 1st printings will always garner a premium. They've reached a certain status (IMO).

And, since we're on the topic (and we've got alot of "newbies" since it was last discussed), I'd like to know what peoples thoughts are on the Moore/Gaiman back issues...if Marvel does acquire the rights and reprints, do the back issues go up or down in price?

If they are able to reprint #1-24...and that's a huge if...then back issue prices for the 80's-90's issues will plummet. 80's-90's collectors aren't like Silver Marvel collectors...they don't have to own the originals, because most of them (like myself) didn't own them or read them as originals. Of course, like me, there are still a few collectors who prefer originals, but for the most part, people just want to read them.

I think the price on these is driven entirely by their unobtainability in any format. The trades should not, not, not be worth what they are, but because the whole shebang is "out of print", they're worth ever so much more.

Look at Sandman back issues....they're constantly kept in print, so as a result, the originals have very little value...#1 is a $10-$20 raw, and $150-$200 in 9.8.

People just want to read the stories.

1-10 - $5-8/each

11-13 - $10/each

14 - $10-15

15 - $75-90

16 - $20

17-22 - $5-10/each

23 & 24 - $25-35/each

I've bought about three complete runs, #1-24, for about $100-$250 in the last 10 years. Sold them all for much, much more. ;)

I'm surprised no one's interested in making me an offer on my 9.8 #24. I guess everyone who wants one, has one. ;)