• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

26 DCs To Go

240 posts in this topic

Ian, if & when you complete your collection What will you collect next? Is there any other company you want to collect ?????? The collector in us will always find something to collect!!! We can't help ourselves!!!!

I'm gonna spend the next five years slowly upgrading.

I've been doing it slowly but surely all along.

I bought a lot of really low grade copies just to get the book. Now I'm looking to upgrade all the ones I'm unhappy with, but there's no urgency. Just a long leisurely process as and when, as long as I have the book in the first place.

Right now I just wanna get those twenty six.

And the giveaways and previews are never ending. NOBODY could ever have them all - NOBODY knows what they all are for a start.

Adventure 70 shouldn't be difficult.

Neither should All American 89, Flash 43, Flash 97, Green Lantern 30.

These are not exceptionally rare or valuable books at all.

All five of those will be under four hundred each in a lower grade.

It's just finding them......

Actually GL #30 is THE most dificult book to get out of ALL the Superhero books remaining on your list Ian. Pat Kochanek did a rarity survey many years ago and the GL #30 was the #1 rarest book of all the GL's. I think only 2 copies surfaced in a 6 year search!

Timely.

Ps. Had an Uncle Sam #5, too bad I did not know you were looking!

Interesting. Any thoughts as to why? It just seems bizarre for a mid run superhero book like that. Early or later issues I could understand but #30?? Weird.

Green Lantern 30 is one of the few Alex Toth drawn issues. I know I've been looking for it for quite some time, and I was dismayed to see it show up on your list! Apparently I'll be looking for some time to come... 893frustrated.gif

Either that or the 1st appearance of Streak the Wonder Dog! crazy.gif

Gerber S.I. of only 7... who'd a thunk it'd be so difficult?

I no longer have the Uncle Sam #5.

Equally as unusual is the fact the the MH copy of GL #30 is missing, perhaps one never existed. I do not know of any pedigree copies of GL #30. Those who do collect high grade GL are now forced to get lower grade copies. Perhaps that's why they are seldom seen/sold.

Timely

Equally as unusual is the fact the the MH copy of GL #30 is missing, perhaps one never existed. I do not know of any pedigree copies of GL #30. Those who do collect high grade GL are now forced to get lower grade copies. Perhaps that's why they are seldom seen/sold.

There is a GL #30 listed in original MH catalog. Link

Perhaps it still exist.

I've got at least one of the "missing" MH Green Lantern's, but I don't think it's number 30. I never can remember the number but it's closer to #16 or #17. confused.gif

Actually, you have #15! thumbsup2.gif

Timely

Metarog already found the Flash 82 on Comic Link, which I secured yesterday.

I believe I have clinched a deal on Detective 3, 4 and 5.

So thankyou for sending it. I had previously already bid on Comic Link's Detective 5, about four weeks ago, but it was rejected.

If I get these, the total will be down to 22.

Okay, I've been thinking about this for a while (well, honestly about 20 seconds) and I think that right after you complete the entire collection, all the board members should come over to your house (DC will charter a plane for all us state-siders), and stay up all night reading through every book you have, fueled with milk, cookies, brandy, champagne, Newcastle Brown ale or liquid of choice.

Then, after about 90 minutes of restless sleep on your living room floor, we all crowd into a bus and are taken to the groundbreaking for the Ian Levine Museum of Contemporary Comic Collecting. The height of the festivities will be when you receive your Knighthood. You are forever after referred to as Sir Ian.

I have been thinking about Ian's quest for some time now. Knowing that he has been on this quest for decades; knowing he had 30,000+ comics to aquire has really inspired me even further in my quest! It should inspire all of us as collectors, whether you are collecting every comic ever printed or just Smurfs #1 and 2.

My quest to collect all 430 Timely's is about 1/2 complete, however the first 200 you get are a lot easier than the last 200, Ian can attest to that!

I look forward to the day when I only have...

26 issues to go.

Timely

all the board members should come over to your house and stay up all night reading through every book you have, fueled with milk, cookies, brandy, champagne, Newcastle Brown ale or liquid of choice.

What a good idea.

In the process, spilling the Newcastle Brown ale all over my Action 1 and my More Fun 52.

But you'll all be so drunk that no-one will care.

Don't forget the cookie crumbs all over the New Fun 1 and the Detective 1 and the Double Action 2. Or the champagne spill on the Detective 27.

I have been thinking about Ian's quest for some time now. Knowing that he has been on this quest for decades; knowing he had 30,000+ comics to aquire has really inspired me even further in my quest!

I just wish I could find a buddy who wants to collect every DC and needs a bit of help. I've acquired so many rare oddball spares, that it would be great to help someone else out with their collection, apart from Jerome, who I've already filled in loads of his gaps. Not just stuff I have, but when I find a comic on e-bay that I KNOW took me ages to find my own copy, it would be great to be able to forward the link to a fellow DC collector, or when I'm at the London marts and I come across some super rare preview or giveaway that I already have myself, but took me six months to find a copy.

I have been thinking about Ian's quest for some time now. Knowing that he has been on this quest for decades; knowing he had 30,000+ comics to aquire has really inspired me even further in my quest!

I reckon if someone started from scratch and on a budget, with the contacts I have, I could locate for them twenty five thousand of the thirty thousand relatively cheaply. It's those last five thousand where the price shoots up.

I know comic dealers who have huge runs of 1970s and 1980s and 1990s that they'd do really cheap if someone bought the full runs.