• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

26 DCs To Go

240 posts in this topic

all the board members should come over to your house and stay up all night reading through every book you have, fueled with milk, cookies, brandy, champagne, Newcastle Brown ale or liquid of choice.

What a good idea.

In the process, spilling the Newcastle Brown ale all over my Action 1 and my More Fun 52.

But you'll all be so drunk that no-one will care.

Don't forget the cookie crumbs all over the New Fun 1 and the Detective 1 and the Double Action 2. Or the champagne spill on the Detective 27.

does this mean we're not invited over???

Anyone is welcome to come look - but I think it might be a case of "look but don't touch" somehow.

Looks like you have a problem Ian. Ya see...if your books were slabbed you'ld have no worries about the "touch" part! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

Anyone is welcome to come look - but I think it might be a case of "look but don't touch" somehow.

Looks like you have a problem Ian. Ya see...if your books were slabbed you'ld have no worries about the "touch" part! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

Logistically that would be difficult and expensive. We're talking well over $1,000,000 to slab his collection - AND he'd have to wait for AGES to get his books back from Steve and co.! insane.gif

And think of the extra space required to store all those slabbed items. I mean really - now look what you've done. 893frustrated.gif

I have all but 29,999 DC's in my collection.

WHAT AN AMAZING ACCOMPLISHMENT to only need just 26 issues to have it all complete.

IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE!!! 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes, but does he have an ultra-rare copy of LOSH 300? I'm thinking probably not. smirk.gif

Ian, Do you have copies of the B&W DC ashcans as well like the ones I saw featured once in an article written by Gary Colabuono? Just curious because if not, and the Double Action #1 is considered an ashcan, I wouldn't even keep it on the want list as a book that must be obtained to consider the collection complete (unless you are doing the ashcans too).

When do you start on Timely/Atlas/Marvel????tonofbricks.gif

Ian

ignore all these ungracious yanks - they're only jealous

keep the posts coming - I'd hate to think I've invested all this time in reading about your quest only to leave it at def con 26

c'mon, you've a duty to the Queen!

walk tall young man!

Ewan

He got quite a slating and I'm not sure he'll come back easily. Hopefully he'll at least post irregularly with an update on numbers or maybe his comeback will be "0 DC's to go, mission accomplished".

He got quite a slating and I'm not sure he'll come back easily.

Yeah, he certainly received a lot of castigation and venom recently - some of it about hypothetical things that he may or might do. I wouldn't be surprised if he went elsewhere - this ain't the only game in town, you know.

Yeah, he certainly received a lot of castigation and venom recently - some of it about hypothetical things that he may or might do. I wouldn't be surprised if he went elsewhere - this ain't the only game in town, you know.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmile.gif

Can't argue with that.

Can't argue with that.

Okay....it has to be said that Ian has been helped significantly by some board members, not just in finding books that were otherwise unattainable but also information and friendship - wise. The Forum has made a difference. (However he has been virtually ostracised by others - I guess that's the comics biz).

he has not! There was a post made recently that summed up Ian's involvement with these boards perfectly: Ian has only posted about HIS quest, HIS comics, HIS frustrations, HIS enemies etc etc. When has he EVER posted on anything except HIS stuff?

We all live in our own worlds, but Ian was like a nice guy with a common interest you meet who asks to stay over your house a couple nights---- and ends up staying two months, borrowing your stuff, asking favors, and totally oblivious to how others have come to view his self-absorption.

Maybe we share some of the blame? By being so totally supportive right away, Ian may have just miscalculated how much he could ask....

To say people here are turning on him because they are jealous(!) is to join Ian in his private Ian's World cocoon of persecution. I for one dont want a 95% low grade complete collection of DC comics that no one else wants! Ive got enough of those already, thanx...

he has not! There was a post made recently that summed up Ian's involvement with these boards perfectly: Ian has only posted about HIS quest, HIS comics, HIS frustrations, HIS enemies etc etc. When has he EVER posted on anything except HIS stuff?

We all live in our own worlds, but Ian was like a nice guy with a common interest you meet who asks to stay over your house a couple nights---- and ends up staying two months, borrowing your stuff, asking favors, and totally oblivious to how others have come to view his self-absorption.

This is true, but only to a point. The CGC forum, after all, is comprised of all sorts of people and their contributions are many and varied. There are those who are helpful answering questions, those who are eloquent in articulating their views on issues (and such people are most useful when their views differ from one's own, thereby providing nutritious food for thought and a sense of others' take on the hobby), those who are kind enough to post scans of cool and rare books, etc. What Ian contributes is himself. Whether you consider it admirable, heroic, silly, freakish, self-absorbed or any of a dozen other adjectives to devote decades of your spare time and God knows how much money to acquiring all of the books published over the past 67 years by the largest and most ifluential comic book company in history, and to come within 26 books of the goal line, you can't deny that Ian himself, as Exhibit A, is a comic book hobbyist phenomenon that these boards are richer for having. If you have no time or interest in him or his quest, you are of course free to ignore his threads, much as if you have no time or interest in Modern books you're free to ignore those threads. But to criticize him for being self-centered may be appropriate if you had to interact with him in other contexts, but is beside the point with regard to his role on these boards. Indeed, although I feel bad for those whose who find their dirty laundry exposed by Ian, for me the way his personality - arguably more than that of any other forumite - comes through loud and clear on these boards is far more edifying than finding out that Buzzy 70 is a tough book. Yes, at times it's like watching a horror movie, but people do pay good money to see horror movies. Were Ian to simply post lists of how many books he had to go, that would be OK, but rather dry. This way, we get to meet a bit of the personality behind a collector par excellence. If you find that personality too disagreeable to want to bring into your life - and I certainly wouldn't blame you for feeling that way - again, you are free to ignore his threads. Yes, it might be nice if there was more give and less take with Ian. But at the end of the day, plenty of others are here to give in all sorts of ways. What Ian can and does contribute is rather unique, and I for one have no complaints about his presence here or the way he conducts himself.

That's an excellent point and one I really didn't consider. If you met Ian, you would see that he posts much the same way as he talks - he is a bit of a force of nature. Your post strikes the right balance - if Ian wasn't that way, he wouldn't be within 26 yards of the finishing line (admittedly these are the longest yards).

I feel that yes, Ian is monomaniacal (at worst) and given the hobby we're in, he will come into contact with others of similar temperament. The point you made about the enthusiasm at Ian's inception on these boards distorting Ian's vision of the Forum is correct. As a result the backlash was inevitable as for every action etc.

The corollary was that criticism of Ian would be unduly extreme - he thought initially that as the board was so interested, that everyone would want to know every detail of his collecting quest, which wasn't the case.

Threads have been bumped unnecessarily simply to have another pop at Ian (the Farrell thread, for example).He made a mistake by making assumptions, and got pilloried for it. He was wrong, but got disproportionately hammered as a result. Admittedly a bit of contrition on his part would've gone a long way there ( on the other hand he recently contacted Michelle Nolan of CBM at her home and they got on very well) . And no, I don't think the crit is borne out of jealousy at all.