• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Label Proposal (Fire When Ready!)

12 posts in this topic

Thinking about the recent PLOD, GLOD discussions, here's an idea worth batting around (or shooting down in flames as you wish):

- I think Timely, Lou Fine and others are clearly correct that by having a singular PLOD standing out apart from the Universal slabs, this has magnified the stigma and market penalty of restored books, even those trivially restored.

- I think many of the Silver/Bronze collectors on here have made it abundantly clear that the road-burn from undisclosed restoration (particulary of otherwise-perfectly Fine Silver Age books) is too recent and too painful to allow anything that seems to blur the bright-line distinction between restored & unrestored.

- I think there is definite double standard with respect to Golden Age books, and this double standard pre-dates CGC. When you read the Overstreet grading definitions, clearly some of the high grade defects are allowed because they were found on certain Golden Age pedigree collections that early on came to define what "high grade" meant in the context of vintage comics. (Examples: foxing not a defect in Very Fine or below, date stamps allowed in high grades, things like loose centerfolds in Fine, explicit mention of "bindery tears" ok in higher grades for Golden Age only, etc. etc.) CGC exempting certain Golden Age restored books from the PLOD is just one example of many of this Golden Age double standard.

So here's my solution: Come up with a new label color for pre-code books. Make it Gold (the GLOW: "Golden Label of Wealth" smirk.gif), and just like with today's Golden Age Blue label books, allow for the very very minor restoration. Extensively restored Golden Age books still get the PLOD.

What would this fix?

- First, it acknowledges that Golden Age books are treated differently with respect to minor restoration (explicitly recognizing the current CGC reality).

- Second, it continues to protect the Silver Age/Bronze Age market from any confusion regarding restored vs. unrestored.

- Finally, the main benefit is subtle: By introducing another colored label, it weakens the power of that Blue label. If collectors already have a mix of Blue and Golden Labels, they might be more likely to accept a Purple label on its own merits, analyzing the extent of restoration rather than dismissing out of hand simply because it is a different color.

The obvious problem with this is what to do about reholdering current Blue Label Golden Age books? There is the expense involved, and the non-value added work from CGC in reholdering tons of previously-graded books just so collectors have a run that matches. Maybe this could be timed to CGC's 7th anniversary, when the most diligent slab owners will start to reholder for micro-chamber paper replacement?

So feel free to say why you hate this idea! I'm most interested in those who shoot this idea down because you want all your slabs to be the same color, because that will tend to support the point of view of those who say the PLOD is itself an aesthetic stigma above and beyond the question of restored vs. unrestored!

Flame on!

I will not fan the flame, merely add kerosene

What is it that you have a problem with.? If you are a collector, it is the book that matters, not the label on the book. Oh, I see you are a collector that wants to blur the line between restored books and unrestored books because you either (A) were mislead and purchased undisclosed restored books in the past or (B) Bought a restored book "back in the day" when cover cleans and tear seals were accepted practices. Unfortunately for you, those practices are no longer accepted hence the great disparity in value between blue label and PLOD books. It is not that your PLOD is worth nothing, as a collector it should be a proud member of your collection (Isn't that the reason you purchased it in the first place?) Books with minor restoration will someday be accepted (even if it is only as the red headed stepchild) in collections, but they will NEVER be worth what a blue label book of similar grade is worth because they ARE NOT THE SAME BOOK!!!!! 893frustrated.gif

What is it that you have a problem with.? If you are a collector, it is the book that matters, not the label on the book. Oh, I see you are a collector that wants to blur the line between restored books and unrestored books

27_laughing.gif I take it I should mark you down in the "No Thanks" column? 27_laughing.gif

gossip.gif (The proposal above doesn't blur the line any further-- it just suggests that in the future, Blue-labelled pre-code books get a Gold label instead, while keeping the exact same standards for allowed restoration of a Blue-labelled golden age book as are currently in place at CGC today ) gossip.gifforeheadslap.gif

I agree with OldGuy that another label color is a tough proposition, both for CGC and for collectors/dealers/etc. As you point out, getting people with GA books that are currently in Blue-label holders (whether they have minor resto or not), seems unlikely. You've got the best color label available, why would you mess with that? Now, people with GA books with minor resto that are currently in PLODs would probably embrace the idea, but do we have any idea how many books that is, or could be over a period of several more years? There's got to be something in this for CGC or they won't be inclined to do it, understandably. (And just doing it for 'posterity' or whatever, seems iffy.)

Finally, in your scenario I fear that there would still be turmoil and confusion around why a given book got the Gold label and why another book got the PLOD. If, along with introducing a Gold label CGC also specified exactly what criteria are used to determine the most appropriate label for each type of book, that would help tremendously. But I don't see CGC gravitating toward any 'solution' that required that kind of disclosure on CGC's part.

Perhaps collectors are confused enough with blue, maroon, purple, green colored slabs? If another MAJOR 3rd party Global grading system starts up, they may use 4 other colors on their slabs.

Collectors should keep in mind that most GA books were 64 pgs thick & the normal trimming process would leave a slight bindery corner split compared to SA/BA comics. Some collectors had a drop of glue added to hold down the bindery corners 12 yrs ago for preservation. They are all PLOD now unfortunately. 893censored-thumb.gif

Yes, but can you be specific as to why you're opposed? Is it just aesthetics?

Garth summed it up pretty well. We still get people posting here from time to time that don't know what the green label is for. Another label will just add to the confusion of those that are easily confused. For me (and probably most on this board) I really don't care one way or the other, but because I'm (and we) not the only collector of comic books I think it's best just to keep it as simple as possible.

Perhaps collectors are confused enough with blue, maroon, purple, green colored slabs?

Don't forget yellow! thumbsup2.gif

Now that I think about it having yellow and Gold slabs is a really bad idea. Even if I agreed with adding another color (and I don't) is definitely wouldn't be Gold.

I think if CGC were to change things regarding their labels, most of us would prefer fewer colors, not more.

BTW, why did CGC eliminate their brown "Modern label" a few years ago? Could it be because those books were receiving the same bad stigma that the GLOD & PLOD now enjoy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Timely

Collectors should keep in mind that most GA books were 64 pgs thick & the normal trimming process would leave a slight bindery corner split compared to SA/BA comics. Some collectors had a drop of glue added to hold down the bindery corners 12 yrs ago for preservation. They are all PLOD now unfortunately. 893censored-thumb.gif

Here's the irony re: this phenomenon: some GA books with (I'm quoting the CGC label here) "small drop(s) of glue at spine" do receive the universal Blue label - but only the ones that CGC determines would not be adversely affected by removal of the glue. (In other words, if removing the glue would lower the grade and/or reduce the 'structural integrity' of the book, it's considered restoration and the book is given a PLOD)

...so it's the books where the glue was placed so poorly that it doesn't actually help hold down the bindery corners, that have a shot at getting a Blue label... 893frustrated.gif