• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another Detective 31 question

84 posts in this topic

Just a stupid question... but can't help but ask: what would a coverless copy of this book run? I KNOW, I KNOW... this book is ALL about the cover, but still. I'm curious... (even though I know I still wouldn't be able to afford it lol )
didn't a coverless tec 31 sell for like 3K recently

I would say $2K would be the range that would come to mind, maybe more if it was nice PQ.

that was my guess too Roy or much more if the buyer had the cover for it ready to marry...Two CGC 0.5 copies sold in the past two years---one on eBay that was pretty beat (had the FC, no BC I think) for $3000 ish I think...and the other was Terry O'Neil's that went for $5500....O'neils had great eye appeal but the FC was detached and there was no BC....
excellent point...someone would be far more willing to pay a premium if they already had the cover... I didn't consider that (thumbs u
kinda like the cover to marvel 9 that just sold on eBay for $2600+ :cool:

I thought that was cheap compared to what an entire book would cost you.

Just a stupid question... but can't help but ask: what would a coverless copy of this book run? I KNOW, I KNOW... this book is ALL about the cover, but still. I'm curious... (even though I know I still wouldn't be able to afford it lol )

I would say $2K would be the range that would come to mind, maybe more if it was nice PQ.

that was my guess too Roy or much more if the buyer had the cover for it ready to marry...Two CGC 0.5 copies sold in the past two years---one on eBay that was pretty beat (had the FC, no BC I think) for $3000 ish I think...and the other was Terry O'Neil's that went for $5500....O'neils had great eye appeal but the FC was detached and there was no BC....
excellent point...someone would be far more willing to pay a premium if they already had the cover... I didn't consider that (thumbs u
my guess is someone had or knew of an interior for sure (thumbs u

I thought that was cheap compared to what an entire book would cost you.

yah, but consider I paid $1700 for a copy with no BC three years ago, flipped it to Peter for $3k, which he flipped for $4k :o And I think heritage sold a low grade 2.0 raw with no CF for about $2400 a few years ago...that's a big ticket book folks (thumbs u

That is all so true, I kick myself all the time for letting all those past keys go, especially for what I got for them but even so I've got that nagging notion that says it would be cooler to have a complete run of Detective 50-114 instead of a couple in the 30's. Decisions, decisions, but that's why I'm asking you guys!

quality trumps quantity imo.

restored 7.5, restored 8.5, restored 8.0 (sold), cgc 5.0 (sold), and a mystery one

Junk.

not the mystery one :baiting:

Mystery one. Whoo! :applause:

Gator - owning 5 Tec 31's at one time, it's almost if you have a hold on the market. A monopoly of Tec 31's. lol

Ah, there are some that he doesn't know about.

:devil:

There a quite a few Tec 31's out there - more than I thought.

tec 31 has never been in short supply, it has always had more demand than supply and thus it "appears" to be rare...it is not rare, but with demand pretty much always outstripping supply, it will always be pricey!

Glad news! (for current owners anyways lol)

restored 7.5, restored 8.5, restored 8.0 (sold), cgc 5.0 (sold), and a mystery one

Junk.

Gator - owning 5 Tec 31's at one time, it's almost if you have a hold on the market. A monopoly of Tec 31's. lol

tec 31 has never been in short supply, it has always had more demand than supply and thus it "appears" to be rare...it is not rare, but with demand pretty much always outstripping supply, it will always be pricey!

It's a book, always on many people's want list. Demand stampedes supply. ;)

Junk.

stampeded is a good word lol

Junk.

:tonofbricks: (stampeded) lol

Junk.

:tonofbricks: (stampeded) lol

It is so funny because about 10-15 years ago "experts" would say - "There are only an estimate of 25 or less Action 1's and Tec 27's "known" to exist." I do not have the correct numbers they were saying but I know it was very small. Now in the internet age that number has jumped from the 25 (or whatever it was) to around 75-100 (could be off) on some of these books. Funny how the internet has changed things.

How many Tec 31's would you "guesstimate" are in existence Gator? From what I know (so far) You and I and at least 4 others have a 31 so that is 9 (you have 5 + 4 others) right there already. And I know there are more boardies that must have a 31 too that I don't know about.

How many Tec 31's would you "guesstimate" are in existence Gator? From what I know (so far) You and I and at least 4 others have a 31 so that is 9 (you have 5 + 4 others) right there already. And I know there are more boardies that must have a 31 too that I don't know about.

i would guestimate at least 500, maybe more, like closer to 1000 (thumbs u

:o No way, really?

Seems high - but I trust your experience.

That is a lot of Tec 31's!!!!!!

So funny compared to estimate years ago (estimates that were wrong)

You sure though?

You sure though?

I am sure the number is closer to 200-300.

You sure though?

:taptaptap:

You sure though?

That seems more believable....but still I have no idea.

200-300 is still a ton more than I would have guessed. I was thinking 150 or less.

You sure though?

200-300 is still a ton more than I would have guessed. I was thinking 150 or less.

my logic comes from the fact that I find it hard to believe that I have owned 10% of all known copies...it is just not reasonable to assume that (or anyone for that matter ...i am on my 15th diff one in just a few years)...

my guess is maybe 2%, and extrapolate that out, and viola , 750 (right in the middle of my 500-1000 estimate)

You sure though?

my logic comes from the fact that I find it hard to believe that I have owned 10% of all known copies...it is just not reasonable to assume that (or anyone for that matter ...i am on my 15th diff one in just a few years)...

my guess is maybe 2%, and extrapolate that out, and viola , 750 (right in the middle of my 500-1000 estimate)

a few hundred for most GA books is a reasonable estimate considering most SA books number in the couple thousands (and their print run was much higher)...

You sure though?

Let's see. Action 12 came out when Detective 27 came out. Action 16 came out when Detective 31 came out. How about a figure of 300-500? hm

You sure though?

Let's see. Action 12 came out when Detective 27 came out. Action 16 came out when Detective 31 came out. How about a figure of 300-500? hm

seems logical that books of the same time period (month, year) might have similar scarcity levels. Although the print runs, and over the counter sales, WWII rations, and moms throwing them out all count for something too :P

You sure though?

seems logical that books of the same time period (month, year) might have similar scarcity levels. Although the print runs, and over the counter sales, WWII rations, and moms throwing them out all count for something too :P

Let's see what Gator has to say. (shrug)