• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended comic shops in Chicago...?

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Chicago for some business meetings for a couple of days this week and was wondering if any of you could recommend to me some places worth checking out that might stock some nice silver/early bronze slabbed and non-slabbed comics alike (I'm looking for selection, reasonable prices, the usual...). I did a basic search on Google and got a few leads, but I'm aware that oftentimes some of the best spots don't turn up that easily on the Web unless you know what you're looking for...

I don't know the city that well but will be staying at the Sheraton (301 East North Water), so anything within easy walking/taxi distance of the hotel would be especially ideal.

Thanks for your input!

Your best bet for slabbed books in Chicago are:

Variety Comic Book Store

4602 North Western Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625-2023

Prices are rather insane, though.

Viking's Closet

6630 N. Northwest Highway, Chicago, IL 60061

This store is owned by a board member - it has weird hours, so you should call ahead to see that it's open (773-930-3415).

Graham Crackers

77 E. Madison St., Chicago, IL 60602

I'd also recommend Dark Tower Comics (they have a giant $1 selection), and Chicago Comics (very indie-friendly).

If you go to North Western Avenue, there's 4 or 5 comic book stores just on that street - it's pretty impressive.

Thanks for the recs - I'll do my best to check them all out!

Dark Tower looks like a definite must (gotta love those $1 bins) and I'll be happy to support a fellow boardie if Viking's Closet is open when I'm there...

The shops listed above are all worth the trip. I'd also recommend First Aid Comics on the south side. Not heavy on slabs, but a decent selection and prices from when I've shopped there.

First Aid Comics

1459 East 53rd Street

Chicago, IL 60615

(773) 752-6642

The second shop is Michaels House (mschmidt). I believe he accepts credit cards as well! (worship)

Graham Crackers

I have always been a fan of theirs. Good selection & the vast majority of books I have sent to get slabbed (granted not too many) have been graded spot on or at least within a half grade of what they graded.

Graham Crackers

I have always been a fan of theirs. Good selection & the vast majority of books I have sent to get slabbed (granted not too many) have been graded spot on or at least within a half grade of what they graded.

I would think for GA, Graham would be the tops in chicago (shrug)

Graham Crackers

Doesn't Jamie also have like 7 or 8 stores?

Graham Crackers

Doesn't Jamie also have like 7 or 8 stores?

he has quite a few I believe

Graham Crackers

The Naperville store is where he keeps all his GA (thumbs u

Graham Crackers

The Naperville store is where he keeps all his GA (thumbs u

True, but I bet if someone called and said they were interested in spending some dough on GA or SA he'd bring some boxes downtown and meet up with the buyer.