• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Announcing the Comic Book Collecting Association!

669 posts in this topic

It’s hard to believe time has passed so quickly, but February marked the first anniversary of the Comic Book Collecting Association. While every other major hobby has at least one – and often several – collecting associations, we are the only such group representing comic book collectors and enthusiasts. So, we have learned much in the past year, and had a lot of fun along the way.

Staying true to our mission of Fellowship, Education and Ethics, we’d like to take this opportunity to outline some of our accomplishments in year one:

* We published four editions of our newsletter, The Comic Book Quarterly

* We hosted a web site and forum, which received over a quarter-million hits per month in 2010 (www.comiccollecting.org)

* The CBCA sponsored an Amateur Art Contest

* The group hosted a dinner at the New York Comic Con

* We sponsored a giveaway of one free year of GPAnalysis to a lucky member

* We coordinated a viewing of the Amazing Fantasy 15 art that was attended by members and industry pros

* We established a member discount to Collectibles Insurance Services as well as to Susan Cicconi's Restoration Lab

* The CBCA was sought by the media to comment on several high profile comic-related stories.

But, our work has just begun. Looking forward to 2011, our plans include:

* Offering an extensive online grading guide

* Adding more educational content to our web site

* Sponsoring a scientific laboratory study on the effects of pressing on paper

* Hosting member events, seminars, adding more member discounts and much more.

We can only do this with the support of the community and a robust membership. If you are not a member, we ask you to consider joining and becoming engaged in the association. As we always say in our emails and newsletters, your feedback and input is greatly appreciated and essential to our success.

Our hobby is evolving every day and we have great optimism for the art form we all love. Working together, we can all contribute toward a healthy and vibrant hobby that will continue to thrive for generations to come.

Thanks for your support and interest.

The CBCA Leadership Team

Board of Directors

Mike Greenwood (comicdonna)

Michael McMurray (monkeyman)

Jeffrey Shanks (theagenes)

Mark Zaid

Steve Zarelli (Mr Zipper)

Treasurer

Mike Cathro

Outreach Coordinator - UK

Gav Williams (boozad)

General Counsel

Josh Entin (Sardo Numspar)

To this I will add that a membership gives you access to the members only forum. You will also have the opportunity to help out on existing projects if you choose to. Or, introduce new projects of your own. Oh, and don't forget to vote for me in the annual elections. :hi:

It’s hard to believe time has passed so quickly, but February marked the first anniversary of the Comic Book Collecting Association. While every other major hobby has at least one – and often several – collecting associations, we are the only such group representing comic book collectors and enthusiasts. So, we have learned much in the past year, and had a lot of fun along the way.

Staying true to our mission of Fellowship, Education and Ethics, we’d like to take this opportunity to outline some of our accomplishments in year one:

* We published four editions of our newsletter, The Comic Book Quarterly

* We hosted a web site and forum, which received over a quarter-million hits per month in 2010 (www.comiccollecting.org)

* The CBCA sponsored an Amateur Art Contest

* The group hosted a dinner at the New York Comic Con

* We sponsored a giveaway of one free year of GPAnalysis to a lucky member

* We coordinated a viewing of the Amazing Fantasy 15 art that was attended by members and industry pros

* We established a member discount to Collectibles Insurance Services as well as to Susan Cicconi's Restoration Lab

* The CBCA was sought by the media to comment on several high profile comic-related stories.

But, our work has just begun. Looking forward to 2011, our plans include:

* Offering an extensive online grading guide

* Adding more educational content to our web site

* Sponsoring a scientific laboratory study on the effects of pressing on paper

* Hosting member events, seminars, adding more member discounts and much more.

We can only do this with the support of the community and a robust membership. If you are not a member, we ask you to consider joining and becoming engaged in the association. As we always say in our emails and newsletters, your feedback and input is greatly appreciated and essential to our success.

Our hobby is evolving every day and we have great optimism for the art form we all love. Working together, we can all contribute toward a healthy and vibrant hobby that will continue to thrive for generations to come.

Thanks for your support and interest.

The CBCA Leadership Team

Board of Directors

Mike Greenwood (comicdonna)

Michael McMurray (monkeyman)

Jeffrey Shanks (theagenes)

Mark Zaid

Steve Zarelli (Mr Zipper)

Treasurer

Mike Cathro

Outreach Coordinator - UK

Gav Williams (boozad)

General Counsel

Josh Entin (Sardo Numspar)

Did I get kicked off the CGC boards? (shrug):baiting:

Did I get kicked off the CGC boards? (shrug):baiting:

Wishful thinking I guess. :devil:

To put a positive lawyerly spin on it -- I figured you didn't need any further explanation because everyone knows you. ;)

Or, I could tell the truth that I mistakenly thought your username here was "Mark Zaid," thus requiring no further information. (thumbs u

I have been wanting to say how much I support this idea and it also mirrors my personal hopes and goals. Finally got around to getting my membership, great people great goals.

Jake Mackessy