• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So If You Could Spend 1 Million Dollars

58 posts in this topic

Over the last few years, I have been to the Louvre, Both Dali Museums, Musee D'Orsee (spelling likely wrong) Picasso Museum, Van Gogh museum, all major museums in NY.........

And you know what.......I am blown away by the technicality and quality of Frazetta paintings over LOTS of the art that I have seen around.

:o:roflmao::screwy:

Hey Man. My wife is an artist and painter, so is my sister. While I achieved my 4 year art degree I learned a decent amount about fine art. I specifically went to Barcelona, Paris, and Amsterdam :grin: specifically to see different works after college when I could afford to. I loved Dali, I went to both of his museums......FYI anyone in Florida GO TO THE ONE IN ST. PETERSBURG! It is amazing!

As a lighting designer I LOVE the chiaroscuro of Frazetta's works. I was blown away by the John Carter of Mars painting.......you would not believe the real detail in the rocks that John Carter is standing on *the paint forms a mound on the canvas!*, you need to see the sfumato technique that is used when he created Death Dealers redish eyes underneath the hood.

So until you do those things for yourself Danny, well I would not laugh at me and call me crazy. Because I bet a lot of people agree with me... :foryou:

All things being equal I can think of 4-5 different Frazetta paintings I would take before I would take the Action #1.

A piece of art, like a top level Frazetta Oil, is not only unique but something you can admire and appreciate every single day for a myriad of reasons.

The Action 1, if I owned it would give me bragging rights, and a 30% manhood extension, and it would be fun for a while, but in the end it's a simple asset. Artwork, to me, feels like so much more.

Over the last few years, I have been to the Louvre, Both Dali Museums, Musee D'Orsee (spelling likely wrong) Picasso Museum, Van Gogh museum, all major museums in NY.........

And you know what.......I am blown away by the technicality and quality of Frazetta paintings over LOTS of the art that I have seen around.

Hey Man. My wife is an artist and painter, so is my sister. While I achieved my 4 year art degree I learned a decent amount about fine art. I specifically went to Barcelona, Paris, and Amsterdam :grin: specifically to see different works after college when I could afford to. I loved Dali, I went to both of his museums......FYI anyone in Florida GO TO THE ONE IN ST. PETERSBURG! It is amazing!

As a lighting designer I LOVE the chiaroscuro of Frazetta's works. I was blown away by the John Carter of Mars painting.......you would not believe the real detail in the rocks that John Carter is standing on *the paint forms a mound on the canvas!*, you need to see the sfumato technique that is used when he created Death Dealers redish eyes underneath the hood.

So until you do those things for yourself Danny, well I would not laugh at me and call me crazy. Because I bet a lot of people agree with me... :foryou:

lol hee hee hee... I just farted... lol

Van Gogh v. Frazetta lol Whatever you say.

Not better than anything in this museum :baiting:

93905.jpg.4fd178e963b1ffbab5ff7720b965a2ea.jpg

Although Van Gogh has some bomb diggity stuff, I have visited that museum twice (after three days in the red light district a guy needs a break), I wasn't impressed with his early stuff...it didn't really do anything for me...so compared to Frazzetta, I would say its like saying that 60s Lincolns is better than 60s Cadillacs... they are just different,both good in different ways..

That particular Frazetta painting would not be my first choice either, but I would much rather have the painting than Action 1. If I had a choice of Frazetta paintings, I would go for either Death Dealer or Egyptian Queen, but these are apparently staying with the family. If they did become available for sale, I imagine the asking price for either would be much higher than 1 million.

Been there too. And yes there is ALOT of better stuff in the Frazetta Museum than that museum. Lets just hope that the Frazetta Museum will open again one day and you can go for a little visit and get some schoolin.

go mets... :eek:

you sure you did not just walk out of a coffeeshop and someone took that photo of you in front of the museum? :baiting::jokealert:

I'd take the Frazetta "Berzerker" painting over the Action #1, as I read the original Conan paperback with that cover when I was very young (5th or 6th grade I think) and it has a lot of nostalgic value for me. That said, I'm not convinced that it would be a better investment than the Action #1 8.0 (frankly, I don't think either is particularly compelling, though). The Action #1 would have a larger pool of potential buyers and will always remain in the public consciousness as one of the top collectible items around.

While I am a great admirer of Frazetta's work, today's youngsters who discover REH and Conan don't pick up the old Lancer and Ace paperbacks with his artwork on the cover, they pick up the modern editions. I am sure Frazetta has a very low recognition factor among today's youth and, if you fast forward a few decades, I think his name recognition will have decreased even further as the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers who grew up exposed to him die out. In the "Frazetta: Painting with Fire DVD" extras, I think there is even one guy who says Frazetta may eventually be forgotten completely in ___ years (I think it was 250, might have been less). I don't disagree with that - his popularity peaked somewhere between the mid-60s and early '80s when he was hanging out with Hollywood stars and his images were on paperbacks, magazine covers and movie posters everywhere.

I've been to more than 100 art museums around the world in the past decade and not once did I ever think "man, Frazetta's work is better than a lot of this and belongs here". Don't get me wrong, Frazetta is one of the best artists to ever work in comics and is probably the definitive sci-fi/fantasy illustrator of all-time. And, no doubt, his technical skill is impressive. But, that is not why art goes into museums - you must consider the historical context, the historical importance, the innovation, etc. That Frazetta could incorporate a mean chiaroscuro into his work means far less to me than the influence he's had on all the other artists in the genre that followed.

Maybe one day the MoMA will consider the guy who revolutionized paintings of barbarians, monsters and babes for use in popular media to be worthy of including in a showcase for 20th century artwork. I don't think any of us should be holding our breath, though, and so it would be great if the Frazetta Museum would re-open or another specialized venue where his talents can be on display for future generations.

I'd take the Frazetta "Berzerker" painting over the Action #1, as I read the original Conan paperback with that cover when I was very young (5th or 6th grade I think) and it has a lot of nostalgic value for me. That said, I'm not convinced that it would be a better investment than the Action #1 8.0 (frankly, I don't think either is particularly compelling, though). The Action #1 would have a larger pool of potential buyers and will always remain in the public consciousness as one of the top collectible items around.

While I am a great admirer of Frazetta's work, today's youngsters who discover REH and Conan don't pick up the old Lancer and Ace paperbacks with his artwork on the cover, they pick up the modern editions. I am sure Frazetta has a very low recognition factor among today's youth and, if you fast forward a few decades, I think his name recognition will have decreased even further as the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers who grew up exposed to him die out. In the "Frazetta: Painting with Fire DVD" extras, I think there is even one guy who says Frazetta may eventually be forgotten completely in ___ years (I think it was 250, might have been less). I don't disagree with that - his popularity peaked somewhere between the mid-60s and early '80s when he was hanging out with Hollywood stars and his images were on paperbacks, magazine covers and movie posters everywhere.

I've been to more than 100 art museums around the world in the past decade and not once did I ever think "man, Frazetta's work is better than a lot of this and belongs here". Don't get me wrong, Frazetta is one of the best artists to ever work in comics and is probably the definitive sci-fi/fantasy illustrator of all-time. And, no doubt, his technical skill is impressive. But, that is not why art goes into museums - you must consider the historical context, the historical importance, the innovation, etc. That Frazetta could incorporate a mean chiaroscuro into his work means far less to me than the influence he's had on all the other artists in the genre that followed.

Maybe one day the MoMA will consider the guy who revolutionized paintings of barbarians, monsters and babes for use in popular media to be worthy of including in a showcase for 20th century artwork. I don't think any of us should be holding our breath, though, and so it would be great if the Frazetta Museum would re-open or another specialized venue where his talents can be on display for future generations.

Interesting take... you make some excellent points.

When I look at art I really try to appreciate the effort and thought and creativity that went into it. I think that Frazetta paintings can stand up there with the best.

In my opinion he definitely will have a historical significance in history. Van Gogh became famous after his death........Mr. Frazetta is achieving 1 Million $$ painting sales while he is alive.

Will he help create a whole new art movement like Van Gogh did?......likely not.

The moma better consider giving him an exhibit :)

Love Frazetta, love comic books & i can appreciate art, but personally, if i had that kind of cash, i would not spend that much on a painting or any single comic.

........but i could blow it all on multiple paintings and comics. (thumbs u