• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When does the Bronze Age end?

49 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the tweener area? The reason I ask is that I always thought that Amazing Spider-Man's best run during my youth up to present was from the early 200s to about issue 289 (Death of Ned Leeds/Hobgoblin). This would take us from 1980 until about 1987 or so. Walt Simonson's second run on Thor starting with 337 was also an amazing run, and started in 1983. Daredevil was great from 1979 until 1982. Shooter took over in 1978, so are you talking about 1978 until 1979?

I've been saying for years that I think that the age after Bronze began with Secret Wars and Crisis in 1984/5.

I don't think too many people would disagree with this statement, but from a "comics era" standpoint, I don't see the Bronze Age continuing into 1984-85.

I know it's a fine line, but at least with Marvel, there was a "tweener" area where nothing but crapola poured out. It might have also been during the Stan Lee to Jim Shooter torch-passing.

I know Shooter took over earlier, but he really started to get the ball rolling in th emid-80's. That's why I stated it was a Stan to Jim torch passing, as it no one becomes EiC and the next day institutes 100% of his new ideas.

My feeling as to the start of the "dead zone" was after Byrne left X-Men and Miller stopped drawing Daredevil. And regardless of how you felt about ASM, check out the other books from that era, such as MTU, MTIO, Avengers, etc. (not to mention Dazzler, ROM, and other drek) and you can see a huge drop in quality, a revolving door for writers/artists, and a lack of any real direction.

Once we hit around 1984, things really started cooking and both Marvel and DC came back with a vengeance.

You know, I've never actually read Crisis. Is it worth it?

Yes! Read it and enjoy it! You may be a little confused as you might not know some of the characters, but you'll know the main players. The art is spectacular.

Plus, you'll get a bunch of the more subtle jokes in Joanna's Crisis thread (which, if you haven't read yet, you must do so immediately. It's better than the original Crisis thumbsup2.gif).

I'm not a fan of the "tweener" argument, because if you accept it then you start getting people giving those years of absolute mediocrity their own age definitions.

Let's just say that at the end of each age is a fizzling out of quality or features. Mainstream comics become confused and lack focus until a new trend gives publishers goals and inspiration..

1953-56 were years of redefinition that led to the new changes that came in 1956. Crime and horror came and went. Science fiction began to dominate as sci-fi writers and editors began to work in comics and, under Julie Schwartz, created new science-fiction based superheros.

1967-70 were years of turbulent social change that redefined everything but really manifested themselves in comics in 1970.

1981-84 were years of redefinition in the way comics were marketed that led to the new changes that came in 1984 and revived the industry in the direct market.

1995-98 were years of redefinition after market saturation and too many gimmicks that led to the new changes that came in 1998 and revived the industry.

Kev

What is the deal with Joanna's Crisis thread? I've seen it but haven't really read it. It looks like it's been going on forever. Is the whole thread just a long discussion about Crisis by Crisis fans?

You know, I've never actually read Crisis. Is it worth it?

Yes! Read it and enjoy it! You may be a little confused as you might not know some of the characters, but you'll know the main players. The art is spectacular.

Plus, you'll get a bunch of the more subtle jokes in Joanna's Crisis thread (which, if you haven't read yet, you must do so immediately. It's better than the original Crisis thumbsup2.gif).

No...not at all.

Joanna is an amazing writer (she has even written a few Wonder Woman issues!).

Many moons ago, MajorKhaos came up with the idea for "Crisis on Infinite Message Boards", in which forumites would 'ret-con' themselves (ala Crisis on Infinite Earths) into new "characters". What started as, basically, a gag-thread became much more when Joanna took it upon herself to write a fictional story starring forum members in the same vein as the "real Crisis".

It really is amazing and hilarious. It's the best thread the forums have to offer. So much fun.

If you do a search, there is a "Trade paperback version" that doesn't have all of our kudos to Joanna and fan-boy chatter.

Joanna is a comic writer? Nifty! That was my dream job growing up (mainly because I couldn't draw well enough to be a comic artist smile.gif). I'll go check out the thread.

No...not at all.

Joanna is an amazing writer (she has even wrotten a few Wonder Woman issues!).

Many moons ago, MajorKhaos came up with the idea for "Crisis on Infinite Message Boards", in which forumites would 'ret-con' themselves (ala Crisis on Infinite Earths) into new "characters". What started as, basically, a gag-thread became much more when Joanna took it upon herself to write a fictional story starring forum members in the same vein as the "real Crisis".

It really is amazing and hilarious. It's the best thread the forums have to offer. So much fun.

If you do a search, there is a "Trade paperback version" that doesn't have all of our kudos to Joanna and fan-boy chatter.