• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Prices on Marvel Keys?

121 posts in this topic

OK.

Has anybody noticed the high prices certain Marvel Keys are going for (especially on ComicLink)? I'm not talking about the AF #15 in NM. At least that's a book that just almost never is for sale, and is the Holy Grail of Marvel Keys.

But an AF #15 FN/VF looks like it sold for $10K and another forum member appears to have sold his for $8K. Now up until November of 2003, GPAnalysis shows that all the sales of this book are in the $6-7K range.And Heritage has a FN copy that going to break the $6K mark (and I had my eyes on it). What happened in the past 2 months?

Then the Tales of Suspense in VF/NM sells quickly on ComicLink for $10K, with a VF+ selling for $4,750 (that at least is in line with similar sales).

Now on ComicLink this Journey into Mystery sells for $10K (yes, it's pending). It's only a VF+!!

It's like most Keys are increasing 20% overnight.

Anyone interested in a JIM #83 CGC VF (with White Pages)?

that Journey into mystery wasjust listed TONIGHT!

and theres a HULK#1 7.5 that sold tonight for 10K.

whats happening?????????

That's what I'm trying to figure out?

Both the JIM and the Hulk are "shockers" to me!!!!!!

Not jumping sides to the crash bandwagon, but it looks to me that the news that high grade cgc books are selling for record prices has filtered down to just about everyone looking to make a quick buck. Now is the time to cash in - and just look at who all has been cashing in. I guess some people figure that they might not see higher prices any time soon so now is the time to sell. Unfortunately and as usual when these runs occur the buyer/speculators have not figured this out. Some of the prices are ludicrous. I hope the books are being bought by collectors who plan on keeping them. Besides the crazy prices on those Marvel keys - look at the prices on the 9.4/9.6 spideys from 106 to 170! And look at the insane prices on Spidey 129 - I think there are 6 or 8 copies on ComicLink alone. Looks like sellers are just making up the highest prices that they can imagine and some people are foolish enough to rush right in - they can't give their money away fast enough. I think we are approaching a glut of stuff on the market - just look at all the stuff that has come on CL in the last month. This upward swing has been going on since October with the stock market rise and I bet it will last another month maybe. With credit card debt at an all time high - and foreclosures too - the reality of the economy is bound to affect things sooner or later.

that Journey into mystery wasjust listed TONIGHT!

and theres a HULK#1 7.5 that sold tonight for 10K.

whats happening?????????

It's an out-and-out buying frenzy. The prevailing psychology after seeing prices escalate steadily for the past 40 years and parabolically in the last 5-10 years is that PEOPLE CAN'T LOSE MONEY buying these key early Marvels, REGARDLESS OF PRICE. You will have to decide whether paying thousands of percent more on funny books than where they sold 10-15 years ago is the first "sure thing" in investment history or whether this "frenzy" might be symptomatic of the kind of unhealthiness you see near a market top, when bullishness is near universal, the fear of losing money has fallen to near zero and price appreciation expectations are completely out of whack with reality. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That said, the only question is when does it end...are we in the stock market equivalent of 1925 or 1929? 1996 or 2000? The art market equivalent of 1985 or 1990? Heck, how about the Dutch Tulipmania - the first bulbs were introduced to the country in 1593 and the mania ended with a permanent and secular crash in 1637 after more than 40 years of rising prices (most of the gains were made in a parabolic rally starting in the early 1630s - gee, 30+ years of steadily rising prices followed by wild price gains in the last 5-10 culminating in utter insanity and a crash from which prices never recover - are we talking about Tulipmania or could we be talking about the Silver Age Comic Mania a few years from now? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

Of course, there will at least one drooling fanboy who will say that the tulip is just a flower while comic books are the highest form of art and literature and a key part of Americana. 27_laughing.gifThat argument, of course, is complete bollocks with large slice of ham and eggs. Like tulips aren't (even still) a more important part of Dutch culture than comics are of American culture? It doesn't really matter, anyway, because there are other closer comparables to comics we can and have discussed in the past.

And, besides, all that really matters is the psychology of the market, not what the particular market is. Some comic collectors believe that comics are different and more interesting than all other forms of collectibles and so the usual market forces and rules don't apply. Too bad that 100% of non-comic collectors and a large proportion of clear-thinking comic collectors don't share their sentiments. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

Not jumping sides to the crash bandwagon, but it looks to me that the news that high grade cgc books are selling for record prices has filtered down to just about everyone looking to make a quick buck. Now is the time to cash in - and just look at who all has been cashing in. I guess some people figure that they might not see higher prices any time soon so now is the time to sell. Unfortunately and as usual when these runs occur the buyer/speculators have not figured this out. Some of the prices are ludicrous. I hope the books are being bought by collectors who plan on keeping them. Besides the crazy prices on those Marvel keys - look at the prices on the 9.4/9.6 spideys from 106 to 170! And look at the insane prices on Spidey 129 - I think there are 6 or 8 copies on ComicLink alone. Looks like sellers are just making up the highest prices that they can imagine and some people are foolish enough to rush right in - they can't give their money away fast enough. I think we are approaching a glut of stuff on the market - just look at all the stuff that has come on CL in the last month. This upward swing has been going on since October with the stock market rise and I bet it will last another month maybe. With credit card debt at an all time high - and foreclosures too - the reality of the economy is bound to affect things sooner or later.

Holy 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif!!!

I actually agree with everything CT said. That must be a first, besides our mutual lust for Kristin Kreuk.

I just want to add that I have no problem with people paying these kinds of prices if they truly love the books, have the money to burn on them and aren't counting on prices to rise, hold their value or only decline a little bit (i.e., if this is truly a discretionary purchase). CT is right - debt levels are out of control and unless the government bails people out by stoking inflation (which could actually drive comic prices higher), the more probable route is that eventually people stop buying and start selling off everything but the kitchen sink to liquidate their debts.

Gene

Thanks. However, be prepared for your "Q-rating" to fall dramatically as a result of your not toeing the party line.

Here, Gene, let me stun you further. I also agree with most of what has been written in this thread. Prices are escalating out of control, and I for one, can't keep up. I'm forced with having to abandon the pursuit of my high grade FF run because its becoming more and more apparent I can't compete at current price levels. Books are rising in multiples BY THE MONTH now....and I can't imagine how pricing the middling level high grade collector out of the market is good for the hobby's overall health.

What's really scary though is how quickly some of these books are being absorbed into collections. All the normal market factors, like price resistance, don't seem to apply to the tough books....its certainly a seller's market if you have the best stuff.

Thanks. However, be prepared for your "Q-rating" to fall dramatically as a result of your not toeing the party line.

Here, Gene, let me stun you further. I also agree with most of what has been written in this thread. Prices are escalating out of control, and I for one, can't keep up. I'm forced with having to abandon the pursuit of my high grade FF run because its becoming more and more apparent I can't compete at current price levels. Books are rising in multiples BY THE MONTH now....and I can't imagine how pricing the middling level high grade collector out of the market is good for the hobby's overall health.

What's really scary though is how quickly some of these books are being absorbed into collections. All the normal market factors, like price resistance, don't seem to apply to the tough books....its certainly a seller's market if you have the best stuff.

That does it! It's an out-and-out love fest on the Silver Age Boards! Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now...!!! cloud9.gif

But seriously, it's nice that a larger group of us are apparently seeing (more) eye-to-eye on this. Contrary to what some believe, I don't enjoy wasting time in pointless arguments with fellow Board members...I'd much rather see us calling these crazy prices for what they are in unison than getting into 150+ post name-calling threads every few weeks!! grin.gif

Gene

You know, they keep changing times on Smallville so have not been able to catch it this year - only thing I have watched faithfully is 24 which has been not so great. But I saw an ad for a college teen type movie and I think Kristen is in it! Rated R so maybe some skin! Saw Lost In Translation last night and highly recommnd it - very thoughtful movie and the girl lead was very cute - Bill murray was awesome too.

You know, they keep changing times on Smallville so have not been able to catch it this year - only thing I have watched faithfully is 24 which has been not so great. But I saw an ad for a college teen type movie and I think Kristen is in it! Rated R so maybe some skin! Saw Lost In Translation last night and highly recommnd it - very thoughtful movie and the girl lead was very cute - Bill murray was awesome too.

The upcoming movie with K. Kreuk is "Euro Trip". It's actually produced/co-produced by Dave Mandel, a prominent comic art collector and former sitcom (SNL and/or Seinfeld, I believe) writer. Apparently he cast another well-known comic art collector, Jon Mankuta, as a bartender with a speaking part in the film as well. Definitely on my must-see list!

Gene

Yeah - Bill in the liquor photo scenes and the karokoe were great - I was waiting for him to say"and i got that going for me." The girl lead Charlotte was nicely played and was someone I would have been interested in back in my school days. The end of the movie was bitter sweet though and left you with a lot to think about. But back to crazy comic book prices - thinking about it more, I wonder if UK and european buyers are snapping up some of these books. Paying $10,000 for a book is like $5000 to them since the pound is about 2 to 1 for the dollar. I have seen several UK buyers on ebay lately buying high priced books - a good time to be buying for them. Hard to compete for US buyers with the weak dollar though. Could they make ebay for US/Canada only - I am claiming unfair competetion!

boy - - youse guys are nattering nabobs of negativity!! I agree that prices are spiralling up fast lately, but I dont have a problem with SA Marvel keys demand filtering down to the VFx range. We all know the newer stuff at 9.6 and 9.8 will end badly though. But those buyers wont kill off the "good stuff".