• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Prices on Marvel Keys?

121 posts in this topic

I have plenty of stock investments and quite frankly my take on it is the same it was 10 years ago. The more you know the less you really know. Good companies influenced by earning reports of companies that don't do well. Perception, 6 month ahead projections, forward looking P/E's, where are interest rates headed, dollar vs Euro, housing starts, CPI/PPI, unemployment, The Fed (That little BANK that controls our financial destiny).

I buy a comic for X and sell it for Y. My company is not inflenced by the earning power of my competitor. I am not giving forward looking earning reports on my profit margins and having anal - ysts touting or slamming my company.

Add into the mix should I own commodities, futures, write covered calls and all that jazz and you've lost 90% of the investing public. Buy a mutual fund, now I have to figure out what their expense ratio is? Index fund, aggressive growth, international, china fund.

I like a comic book - Do the Risk/Reward, write a check, sell it, End of story.

Yeah I have money in stocks, mutual funds and annuities and I have to depend on all sorts of other folks to make sure I am investing wisely because I don't have the time nor do I care to keep up with all that stuff. My investments took a beating the last 4 years and I am very reluctant to hand over the reigns again to people advising me. Comics are fun and I know am taking a risk but I feel a lot better about it because I am in control and have been invovled in comics about 30 years now.

I agree about having fun in the market. I have been with Bank One for 6 years now, and my wife works for Chase. After the merger was announced, my personal stock, 401K, and Stock Options all went up about $10 bucks a share $$$$$$$$ cloud9.gif

Did I mention my wife works for Chase, which means the same thing is happening on her side $$$$$$$$ cloud9.gif

I think I'll retire at 40 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Since there aren't many ultra high grade JIMs out there, it only takes a few collectors' interest to drive up the prices. Look at the census. I am one of those "insane" people buying up JIMs at record prices. I don't plan on selling anytime soon, so I don't really care what the market says it's worth right now. Ah, the thrill of the hunt. cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Hey Captain Tripps, wanna help me out here????!!!

Since there aren't many ultra high grade JIMs out there, it only takes a few collectors' interest to drive up the prices. Look at the census. I am one of those "insane" people buying up JIMs at record prices. I don't plan on selling anytime soon, so I don't really care what the market says it's worth right now. Ah, the thrill of the hunt. cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Hey Captain Tripps, wanna help me out here????!!!

wish i had some to sell you. actually, i just submitted another 6 of my original purchases that looked pretty nice to me. we'll see what turns up in about another 2 months when i get them back 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

wish i had some to sell you. actually, i just submitted another 6 of my original purchases that looked pretty nice to me. we'll see what turns up in about another 2 months when i get them back 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Good luck! I hope that they come back high for you. Keep me updated. hi.gif

No problem with the lower right (all 4 corners are completely sharp), but rather with shrinking the file size to get it under the 150kb size limit for file attachments. Also, my scanner accentuated the transfer stain, which is not nearly so prominent on the book. The copy was graded NM/M by PCE, and as you know, most of those books have been garnering 9.6 - 9.8 when slabbed.

The copy was graded NM/M by PCE, and as you know, most of those books have been garnering 9.6 - 9.8 when slabbed.

Not saying your issue wouldn't get a 9.6, but I know most of the books that I bought from PCE 7-8 years ago as NM will only get a VF at best. 893whatthe.gif

Mile high copies have graded out well too, but does that mean that Chuck can grade? If it's a Pacific Coast pedigree than it probably will grade out high but that doesn't have anything to do with Roter's ability to grade a book. Sorry if that sounds harsh, because it looks like a really sweet copy!

Sorry I didn't make it clear, because I was unaware of any issues with Roter's grading, but the JIM 115 is one of a half-dozen Journeys I own from the Pacific Coast pedigree. Although not every one of Roter's grades from this collection has been substantiated by CGC, nearly all of the NM/M grades (what Rotor called "98") have gotten 9.6 or 9.8 slabs. Excepting the slight miswrap, the 115 is as structurally sound as a book can be.

I wanted to go back just once more on the "crash" that I feel took place immediatly after 9/11. I keep close records of all my buys and I found one that is illustrative of the period.

On 11/05/01 I bought a copy of ASM 6 in CGC 9.2. I paid $1626 for it at the time. I would have gotten it for $1550 except that my computer died on me (in teh days before sniping) and I was unable to bid. The item therefore went UNSOLD at it's minimum opening bid of $1550. It was then relisted and I had to beat one other buyer at the $1625. I think my number is a little stale, but the last market price on that was about $3200.

Before the movie came out the market was a lot closer to 3200 than to 1625. I think a lot of key issues dropped 30-50% off peaks in 2000, pretty close to the drop in stock prices. If we can't call that a crash, I don't know what else to say.

On 11/05/01 I bought a copy of ASM 6 in CGC 9.2. I paid $1626 for it at the time. I would have gotten it for $1550 except that my computer died on me (in teh days before sniping) and I was unable to bid. The item therefore went UNSOLD at it's minimum opening bid of $1550. It was then relisted and I had to beat one other buyer at the $1625. I think my number is a little stale, but the last market price on that was about $3200.

I remember that sale...it broke my heart. frown.gif But I was only partially employed at the time directly due to 9/11 and couldn't afford it!!! blush.gif

I remember that sale...it broke my heart. frown.gif But I was only partially employed at the time directly due to 9/11 and couldn't afford it!!! blush.gif

There were a lot more books I didn't buy because, like in the stock market, I was a little afraid to buy when prices were cheap! Fortunatle I did buy quite a few.

One illustration on the other side. I was trying to sell my ASM 1 in 8.0 and had it listed at 6999.99, I believe just about a year or so ago. Folks came out of the woodwork to try and get it for 6100 to 6200. I couldn't sell it at a relative bargain!

So I'm now "stuck" with it! laugh.gif

How much do you want for it? hi.gif Don't say $10.5K. grin.gif

There were a lot more books I didn't buy because, like in the stock market, I was a little afraid to buy when prices were cheap! Fortunatle I did buy quite a few.

One illustration on the other side. I was trying to sell my ASM 1 in 8.0 and had it listed at 6999.99, I believe just about a year or so ago. Folks came out of the woodwork to try and get it for 6100 to 6200. I couldn't sell it at a relative bargain!

So I'm now "stuck" with it! laugh.gif