• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Prices on Marvel Keys?

121 posts in this topic

We all know the newer stuff at 9.6 and 9.8 will end badly though. But those buyers wont kill off the "good stuff".

See, this is where we disagree on what is "new stuff".

My definition is a comic that, at its current price, has no long-term data to support this position.

So, for a Silver Age semi-key, you can look at OS and various 1.5X to 2X Guide sales on hyper-grade or Pedigree books, but now that it's selling for 5-15X Guide in CGC 9.6-9.8, that's a new trend and "new stuff" that hasn't stood the test of time.

It gets even worse for non-key NM Silver or Bronze, which never really sold for Guide multiples, but now can have serious premiums associated with it at high CGC grades.

So basically, I view ALL high-grade CGC books as "new stuff", that really needs a good decade to work itself into a verifiable pricing model. In that way, paying 15X Guide for a CGC 9.8 copy (no matter the era) is analogous to paying $150 for a NM raw copy of USM 5.

Not jumping sides to the crash bandwagon, but it looks to me that the news that high grade cgc books are selling for record prices has filtered down to just about everyone looking to make a quick buck. Now is the time to cash in - and just look at who all has been cashing in. I guess some people figure that they might not see higher prices any time soon so now is the time to sell. Unfortunately and as usual when these runs occur the buyer/speculators have not figured this out. Some of the prices are ludicrous. I hope the books are being bought by collectors who plan on keeping them. Besides the crazy prices on those Marvel keys - look at the prices on the 9.4/9.6 spideys from 106 to 170! And look at the insane prices on Spidey 129 - I think there are 6 or 8 copies on ComicLink alone. Looks like sellers are just making up the highest prices that they can imagine and some people are foolish enough to rush right in - they can't give their money away fast enough. I think we are approaching a glut of stuff on the market - just look at all the stuff that has come on CL in the last month. This upward swing has been going on since October with the stock market rise and I bet it will last another month maybe. With credit card debt at an all time high - and foreclosures too - the reality of the economy is bound to affect things sooner or later.

Holy 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif!!!

I actually agree with everything CT said. That must be a first, besides our mutual lust for Kristin Kreuk.

I just want to add that I have no problem with people paying these kinds of prices if they truly love the books, have the money to burn on them and aren't counting on prices to rise, hold their value or only decline a little bit (i.e., if this is truly a discretionary purchase). CT is right - debt levels are out of control and unless the government bails people out by stoking inflation (which could actually drive comic prices higher), the more probable route is that eventually people stop buying and start selling off everything but the kitchen sink to liquidate their debts.

Gene

Have you seen the bankruptcy numbers recently?

What sell off everything and pay off debts? Just sell what the court orders and keep the rest. And of course, that assumes that the bankruptee didn't hide or transfer the assets first...

What sell off everything and pay off debts? Just sell what the court orders and keep the rest. And of course, that assumes that the bankruptee didn't hide or transfer the assets first...

And make sure you didn't use a traceable method of payment like VISA or Paypal.

And make sure you didn't use a traceable method of payment like VISA or Paypal.

CASH ADVANCE!! THE ONLY WAY TO GO FOR THIS SCENARIO!!

Davidking623

Lost in Translation is an awesome movie... as much as I'd rather say Return of the King was, this pic was just incredible.

I enjoyed the movie too, but didn't find it as amazing as some did. What did you find incredible about it?

You know, they keep changing times on Smallville so have not been able to catch it this year

Smallville is on at 8pm on the WB.

have watched faithfully is 24 which has been not so great.

Really? I think this season is quite good.....

Saw Lost In Translation last night and highly recommnd it - very thoughtful movie and the girl lead was very cute

Yes, very good movie. And Scalet Johanson(sp?) is very nice to look at. A good actress too.

This thread is like a breath of fresh air. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The fever is breaking. The fog is lifting. Bowels are releasing. Minds are opening. Muscles are stretching. Lymphatic systems are shoveling out the waste. Babies are laughing. Strippers are stripping. It's a beautiful day.

For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the speculator so cometh as a thief in the night.

For when they shall say, peace, safety and good investment at any price; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

To me 24 has been too predictable this year - I knew the Prezs wife would be back and would someone please kill Nina already! Plus Jack's daughter working at CTU - yeah right! Kind of wish they would do an all out movie version as Kiefer is perfect as Jack - a real bad [!@#%^&^]. Somebody asked why Lost in Translation was so good - it was the characters and storyline which I would sy were achingly real. 2 people obviously in love but knowing it would be crazy to leave their existing life style and smart enough to know a lusty fling would be meaningless and ugly. I thought it was a very touching story - and bill murray is the man! So many good movies - anyone remember Where the Buffula Roam where he plays Hunter S. Thompson? Great flick!

but these arent highgrade keys that are selling over there. 7.5s and 8.5s flying out the door. Would coinees stoop so low to slum with us? I think collectors have snapped up the higher graded books (even when holding their noses at the higher prices) and other collectors are now buying whatever shows up, thinking the supply is low. There are plenty of Marvel books in collections, but when they stay there, fewer and fewer are left on the market at any time. But if this feeding frenzy continues, more and more will be for sale and then it wil get 'interesting'...

Maybe it is the coinees - have they run out of pretty,shiny things? Anyway, things getting really comical over at ComicLink - an FF 18 9.2 for $3500 and a 36 9.6 for $2500! The end is near!

must be nice to have $$....

and when 24 is over....the BEST show on TV is back! THE SHIELD on March 9th! thumbsup2.gif

That's what the other 9.4 copies have sold for, in the $50K to $60K range. The White Mountain copy sold for $58K a few years ago, and a 9.4 copy with ow/w pages sold on ebay to Parrino in 2001 for $55K that was much more attractive than today's copy. $52K for that copy isn't bad considering that dust shadow on the right edge...it'd be tough for me to shell out that much dough for a 9.4 with questionable eye appeal.

you know no one here has mentioned what just occurred to me that might be spiking these recent sales of Marvel Keys: whatever multiple you "over-pay' above guide today will be wiped out in a few months when Overstreet (probably) will be raising prices. So what now seems to be new mutiples will be back in line right away. I think some of the these sales can be attributed at least in part to the timing.

Migh explain some of the motivation to lock in on Marvel keys...

I've enjoyed this and several other threads of late. I share the sentiment voiced by many already that silver and bronze age high grade Marvels have reached incredible prices. As a collector unwilling to take out a second mortgage or dip into the retirement nest egg, I am able to purchase fewer early '60s Marvels each month. My solution has been to focus on unslabbed copies (sorry, Forum-lords), cool early silver DCs, and the rare slabbed early silver age Marvel with a price that hasn't accelerated recently beyond Earths' atmosphere.

Case in point of the latter: an FF48 cgc 9.2 with white pages from the Cleveland collection, purchased for about the same price that an FF49 cgc 9.2 white (Boston) reached during the same week. While I realize that the 49 is a less common find in high grade, the character introductions makes the 48 one of the most important silver age Marvel books of all. You just have to own a nice copy of it, and now seems to be a perfectly good time to find one for a decent price.

"Believing is seeing"

FF48 cgc 9.2 with white pages from the Cleveland collection, purchased for about the same price that an FF49 cgc 9.2 white (Boston) reached during the same week. While I realize that the 49 is a less common find in high grade, the character introductions makes the 48 one of the most important silver age Marvel books of all.

An interesting example, and a good illustration of the fact that either people have forgeton why they are collecting comic books in the first place or a lot of the buyers are not 'collectors' at all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif