• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a CGC "10.0" a REALITY or FICTION? (((POLL)))

88 posts in this topic

Another thought, since the board has been dead as of late.

Does a 10.0 comic really exist? I believe there is no such thing as a perfect book, but for fun debate...Maybe fresh off the press a book can be Mint.....I figured once the grader's opened it and inspected it to make sure it's a 10, isn't it a 9.9 now (maybe 9.99 grin.gif )??? What do you guys think?

Cmon Darth I know you have some opinions tongue.gif

Once you own one (or 7!!!) at one point in your CGC submitting careers, then you will truly know what it is to behold perfection. Don't let the non-believers fool you. It is not hype, propaganda, or speculator fodder for more people to get more Modern books graded...it is just a good feeling to know that you had a Perfect book in your collection. Or one pass through your hands to CGC without any further damage. a 10.0 is hard to get...it is easier and probably less expensive to BUY one on eBay, because the time and effort looking for that perfect one and submitting to CGC all adds up in costs.

I will never convince some people about it...I'm just a conscienceless, newbie speculator/non-collector looking to fleece everyone out there who saw Spider-Man: The Movie, in order to feed my starving family, according to my favorite critics.

It is not an illusion to me. The time and effort I put into selecting, then prescreening my books and packing them off to CGC pays off well once it comes back with a perfect grade.

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT! INDESCRIBABLE!

Ive seen 10s before and they have been downright flawless. Im as confused as Ricky is though about how they could grade such a perfect book without bringing it down to a 9.9 or 9.8?? Also, Do you think theyll grade another GI Joe (Image) #1 in a 10.0? Theres one right now and he wants a boatload of money for it. Is it worth the 3-4 hundred dollars? If they grade another one a 10 I know it wont! D- mad.gif

In my opinion, a 10.0 is an unread, untouched comic

This is a real double-edged sword, because the only was to verify if a book IS a 10 is to examine each page, to insure there are no interior defects . The best you could say is, in an unread state, the book has a 10 outside front/outside back cover.

Cards are handled to assign a grade C.I. I know this first hand.

Hmmm, exactly how do you open a card? How many pages of each card do you have to inspect before grading?

Graded cards are only touched by gloved personnel and then inspected under a magnifying glass. It's the physical nature of comics that defies a 10.0 grade, while I can accept 10's for sportscard and coins due to their physical two-side and an edge design.

This is a real double-edged sword, because the only was to verify if a book IS a 10 is to examine each page, to insure there are no interior defects . The best you could say is, in an unread state, the book has a 10 outside front/outside back cover.

Exactly, which is why I say a 10.0 comic (post-grading) is a physical impossibility.

CGC just followed the grading structure of one-piece coins and cards, but comics are a far different animal. Once you open that sucker up (no matter how carefully) the comic is in worse shape (no matter how incrementally) than in its unread state, thereby negating the potential of a 10.0 grade.

After all, what was the comic before it was opened and fully inspected, an 11?

I know this...what I meant is that the cards are handled and graded in a way that still leaves room for human error (dropping it or slightly hitting a corner).

I know this...what I meant is that the cards are handled and graded in a way that still leaves room for human error (dropping it or slightly hitting a corner).

Sure, but I'm assuming professional examination, which would not affect a card or coin grade in the least, but would inherently lower an unread/pristine comic's grade just by opening and examing all the pages.