• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a CGC "10.0" a REALITY or FICTION? (((POLL)))

88 posts in this topic

Let me add:

If you talk about perfection in a philosophical way I will probably agree that that does not exist but here we are talking about a comic grading scale that should include all possible grades and also justify each single one.

A Mint 10.0 does not mean it is a divine, molecular stable article. It is a 10.0 CGC graded comic book. Or it was at the time of its grading at least (that is why I actually think CGC should add the date of the grading to their coupons...).

I asked in a previous thread. Borock didn't say why they don't put it on, but he did say they'd give it to you if you call them. And of course you can now look it up on their web site if you subscribe to the Collector's Society.

I'm assuming they just didn't think about it being useful.

The limit of grading should be what is visible to the naked eye without the benefit of magnification or other tools other than standard light. Magnification or other tools can be used during the grading process, but any defects found with those tools should only detract from grade if the defect is also visible without the aid of those tools.

Looking down at the molecular level is aesthetically useless, since it's not how we normally interact with comics.

yes! you put it perfectly! Ive seen a few 10s before and they had NO defects that I could see with the naked eye. END OF STORY. If I went over it with a microscope im sure I would have found a defect or two. 10.0 doesnt mean: superperfectnot touchedbyhumanhandskissedbyStpeterpristinevirginonweddingnightflawless......wheew.... grin.gif

That's why the question is...is it reality or fiction? If you admittedly say that you can find flaws with a microscope than in actuality it is not a 10.0 Mint which is "flawless." So it comes back to the same question, is it a reality or fiction? I think it's fiction and is made up.

I do understand that we can't expect a comic book to be perfect in every way down to the smallest particle. But hello science people that means it isn't a perfect book. Obviously CGC uses its own grading standards and whatever qualifies as a 10 gets the grade. Plain and simple, but I was just saying that it is fiction since a perfect score has to have a perfect book.

Just because we can't see a baby developing after 2 weeks with the naked eye doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the womb. (Sorry Pro abortion people.) Has anyone seen that Oprah special on that very thing? They now have the technology to view a baby when it is a few weeks old and make a 3D picture of it and can see every single organ, eyes, feet, and spine! They plan to use this to detect abnormal traits.

Like I told bugaboo, I don't honestly care, just for a good ol debate since it has been dead around here wink.gif .

Actually Ricky I just stick to the fact that NOTHING is perfect and even though they grade supposed 10s I dont think they ever meant that to be considered flawless. If it were actually PERFECT in every way they would have to grade it 11! smile.gif

Here is a real example:

I bought four copies of Swamp Thing No. 1 when they came out. Three of these (and I picked what appeared to be nice copies in the shop) were put straight into bags -- never opened.

I had those three graded recently and they came back 9.0, 9.0 and 9.4.

At the time I would have said that they were as perfect as a consumer could get.

This is why I feel that the high-end grading is far too sensitive to imperfections bordering on what you econ guys would call statistical insignificance.

So why not 8.2 and 8.4 and so on...I mean really 9.4 is "near mint" while 9.6 is "near mint +." What the frell is that? It is either near mint or its mint.

Fish or cut bait guys.

-- By the way, CGC shows 9.9 as "mint" and 10.0 as "mint." What gives with that? "Mint +"? Please....

Well, here comes another country heard from.

1) If no comic could grade a 10, then by the same reasoning no comic could grade a 1 either. The scale goes from 1 to 10. 1 is the worst condition a comic can be in and still be a comic. A 10 is simply the best.

2) The differences between the "official" CGC grades may have never been published, but from the 9.8, 9.9, and 10.0 samples passed through my hands, I can pretty much make a good educated guess. A 9.8 has no flaws visible to the naked eye. It may not be cut perfectly, nor have exact staple alignment, but it is obviously unread. A 9.9, well, a microscopic examination of staples may show minute slop. A 10.0 defies microscopic staple examinations and is cut perfectly. A 10.0 by definition is the best state a comic can ever be obtained in.

3) Saying you bought a book off the stand, bagged it and stored it for 20 years means you have (if you stored it well) exactly what was on the stand. Probably only one out of thousand actually make the 10.0 mark on the stand. And they likely come in groups, like the first 10 of each print run, or the first 10 printed after the presses are aligned. Mint does not mean the condition you purchased it in. Shaking in shipping loosens staples, books are cut off center, get stapled slightly off center, and many things can affect the condition before the books hits the buyers hand.

4) Since the CGC craze I have looked back at some of the issues I bagged years ago and never touched. I bought FF 180-280 from a local comic store, and was there every single friday for the case opening ceremony. I picked the crispest, most perfect issue each time. I see 3-4 of them that might pull a 10.0. I said "might". Likely, maybe one. I could detect microscopic slop on the staples of all but 15 or so (probably shaking in shipping) but only 3 of those were so perfectly cut that I could not detect any variance. When you look at a large number of very high grade issues like this, you actually get pretty good at spotting the differences. I doubt any comic can be obtained which is any better condition than those 3.

I say the 10.0 does in fact exist. So does the CGC. But 10.0 is for investment only, a 9.8 satisfies all the eye appeal an actual collector should require. A 9.8 is your average cherry-picked issue that was stored well and never touched. Just because the truck delivering to west Virginia store had to hit a bunch of potholes does not mean that they are should be considered the same grade as the ones you buy 2 miles from the Diamond distribution center...

A 9.8 has no flaws visible to the naked eye.
They're often visible, they're just very, very small--in the 1/16" to 1/32" range, or possibly two or three 1/64" defects. Here's an example of a 9.8 where the flaw keeping it from a 9.9 or 10.0 is visible in the scan--look in the lower left corner:I agree wholeheartedly, though...10.0s can exist, it's just extremely unlikely that any given comic would go through the magic ride through publishing, packing, and selling without enough pressure being exerted on the paper to produce a defect. And 9.8s are MORE than good enough; 9.9s and 10.0s seem more like a curiosity to me than something I'd want. But then again I haven't seen one in person yet.

This is better since the pic shrinks after it is clicked on

If it shrinks and you are using Internet Explorer, just place your pointer on the picture for a second or two. A square with arrows will pop up in the lower right. Click on it and it jumps back to original size. Click on it again and it re-shrinks itself.

A'int nature wunnerful? grin.gif

I turn that auto-shrink setting off in the browser settings...seems like all you EBayers woulda done that by now. How can you see those wonderfully large scans that some sellers provide with that feature on? It's a pain.