• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a CGC "10.0" a REALITY or FICTION? (((POLL)))

88 posts in this topic

About $450 I think. I've only ever seen one other copy with that much eye appeal...only 1/100" cover miswrap.

I was about to say that the only possible better copy would be the single 9.9 they graded...but I just checked the Census and it's not there! I coulda swore there was one when I checked about 6 months ago when I bought the one I just posted the picture of.

Now if I could just get an FF #1 like this...

I turn that auto-shrink setting off in the browser settings...seems like all you EBayers woulda done that by now.

I find it useful. Often I am not sure what a cover is going to look like. Usually I can see it in a small version and decide either "not what I am looking for" or "Sweet!". If it is Sweet! then I just click that little box. Otherwise I don;t have the web page distorted by the scan.

(edited to remove a boneheaded addledbrained comment about faster loading which, of course, it is not...sheesh!)

I don't understand the concept of "cut."

...but only 3 of those were so perfectly cut that I could not detect any variance.

The way a comic is cut or stapled should have no effect on grading. Nor should ink bleeding (which is the case with most of the Conan King-sized) on the edges of the book.

This is the way it was printed. If the machines were not in perfect alignment, that is just the way it is. You don't have control over the birth of a comic any more than you have control over the color saturation.

Remember what "mint" means:

MINT

adj : as if new; undamaged as if freshly minted.

It does not denote how it was made. Very old coins that were struck off-center are not worth less because of it -- that is just the nature of how they are produced.

If a comic is as if new and undamaged as if freshly minted, then the alignment of staples or the cut is irrelevant.

Mark in Taiwan ("The food-stain on the world's necktie.")

Good analogy with the coins wolfling40........I can understand where you are going with your reasoning.

But here's a question. Aren't newer coins graded on how well they are struck. If so, should comic grading allow for some manufacturing flaws in older books but be more strict with these criteria on newer books? confused.gif

Also, coins are metal and sportscards are paper, cut much the same way comics are. In that industry, the grading companies deduct heavily for printing flaws and an off-center card can never reach the higher grades.

Personally, I think that's the way it should be in comics too, as I own some pristine comics (newstand fresh) with some serious printer wrinkles on them (some internal, some external) that I could never in good conscience rate as NM.

Then again, one of those ultra-high grade Defenders #1 has 2-3 very noticeable print lines right on the front cover.

I don't know much about sportscards and the grading of them CI, but I do believe you are correct. I seem to recall that a sportscard must be well centered in order to receive the highest grades. And, they are so small, I can't imagine that they could have obvious printing defects and still rate very high.

Someone just posted about that auction for Defenders #1 CGC high grade in here yesterday. I went and took a look at it....and sure enough......a big ugly wrinkle/line right across the front of the cover. wuerg011.gif

Here's an idea...

What if CGC slabbed uncirculated comics. Ones that have not been touched, right off the press. Kind of like those uncirculated coin sets. I'm sure CGC could make some kind of deal with the comic companies. This way anyone wanting a 10.0 could just buy it. Of corse it would only be new comics. Not old ones.

Unfortunately, many times uncirculated comics come with defects, like holes where the staples go through the cover and/or interior pages. So they'd have to slab them before final assembly (glue/staples). However, we've all seen printer's creases, so I guess they'd have to be slabbed before the paper is actually manufactured, so maybe CGC should get into the business of slabbing trees... tongue.gif

so maybe CGC should get into the business of slabbing trees

LMAO........hey......I wouldn't mind having a CGC graded 10.0 maple.....or maybe an elm.........perhaps with white or off-white to white leaves. grin.gif

And I agree CI......would be kinda cool if CGC started a 10.0 series (kinda like their signature series).........where they would gather up a bunch of 10.0 candidates at the printer/publisher.

This way, whoever wanted a 10.0 modern could get one without being ripped out of $2,000 for the privelege. smirk.gif

And, I know it sounds stupid, but I think it would be cool to have CGC gather up all the pristine pages of a comic book before they are assembled (folded and stapled) and slab them in a double wide holder (no....not a mobile home). The front and back cover of the comic would be visible through the front of the holder and the entire centerfold would be visible from the back of the holder. That way, it would be thin enough to just sandwich it between two flat pieces of plastic instead of putting it in a well where it can still slide around. It could stay pristine for all eternity......or at least until I flip it for a profit. smile.gif Yeah.....I know it sounds stupid......but I'd like it. smile.gif

I went and took a look at it....and sure enough......a big ugly wrinkle/line right across the front of the cover

Huggyballoo, greggy refers to them (or more accurately, doesn't refer to them mad.gif ) as "prduction creases" . I'd be glad to show you on the Defenders 1 he sold me!

Wrinkled as greggy's smelly sak! tongue.gif

What if CGC slabbed uncirculated comics. Ones that have not been touched, right off the press.

The fact is a large portion of comics off the press aren't even close to 10.0.

I got in a sealed case of DD:Target a couple weeks back, still with its original Quebecoir seal. After opening the case and sorting through the comics with gloves, there were less than 30 copies that are even 9.8 candidates. Most had tiny ink smudges in the backgrounds and edge fraying.

I went on a tour of Brenner Printing a couple years back and got to see books from Sirius, Avatar, and TokyoPop that were coming off the line. Less than 10% of them coming out of the press would be 9.8. In fact, on a typical 5000-book run, they print 5700 because they fully expect that 300-500 won't even be saleable, much less CGC-worthy....

In response to the "9.8 must be unread" talk, I have personally received a dozen 9.8's or so (nothing like Darth). Three of those books were ones I had personally read. Very carefully of course, but they were read, cover to cover.

I had a Vampirella/Catwoman: The Furies come back a 9.8, and I'm certain I read it. It's one of those cardstock covers, squarebound.

Compare this to a Buffy The Vampire Slayer #2 Dynamic Forces that I never even took out of the bag that came back a 9.2.

So, finding those 10.0s is quite a trial. I doubt I've ever seen one in my comic buying experience. Either off the rack or as a back issue.