• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a CGC "10.0" a REALITY or FICTION? (((POLL)))

88 posts in this topic

I had a Vampirella/Catwoman: The Furies come back a 9.8, and I'm certain I read it. It's one of those cardstock covers, squarebound.

Compare this to a Buffy The Vampire Slayer #2 Dynamic Forces that I never even took out of the bag that came back a 9.2.

Or, as I fear might be just as much the case, CGC is not consistent, particularly at the top end.

Would you like to have your important comic graded by these fellows on a Friday afternoon?

Mark in Taiwan

Or, as I fear might be just as much the case, CGC is not consistent, particularly at the top end.

I also think they're somewhat inconsistent on some things. I wish I could figure out why my Superman #30 got a 6.0 and my Superboy #1 got a 7.5. I would have been certain the Superman was a better grade than the Superboy.

Would you like to have your important comic graded by these fellows on a Friday afternoon?

I suppose that time of week might have an impact on how carefully they scrutinize a comic, but that would be very difficult to demonstrate, I think. But I'm glad about how they graded my hyper-important Catwoman/Vampirella!! I'm sure people will be beating down the door to get this one!

when are you going to Tysons on Sunday?

I'm trying to go early enough before the doors open. thanks to chromium's answers, I'm getting in free tongue.gif WOO HOO! $3 more bucks to spend on dollar comics I'll flip for $20 a piece ! CHA CHING tongue.gif

Actually I've got to get there early cause I have a date with Chuck Costas and his pice variants. If I don't pay up, I'll be sleeping with the fishes see... shocked.gif

Compare this to a Buffy The Vampire Slayer #2 Dynamic Forces that I never even took out of the bag that came back a 9.2.

My opinion on this: I had gotten tons of those USM 1 DF grey variant covers graded and they look flawless in the bag but because we never take them out we don't know what the back looks like. If you let CGC open the book for the first time then you may be in for a surprise since you never saw the back. DF is a company that gets books signed; their DF variant covers are not bagged and boarded off the presses; they are probably held for sorting into direct sale and those slated for signature/sketches. Sio the DF book sealed in original bag and board with COa and DF seal may not contribute anything to the condition.

I highly recommend that all DF books submitted to CGC be opened by you before hand and sent in w/o COa since CGC does not need them and is another hassle to keep track of when returning your slabbed books to you

The fact is a large portion of comics off the press aren't even close to 10.0.

Sure (and as you realize) no one is saying that every off-the-presses book would get a 10.0, but that's the place to start. After cherry picking the perfect copies, slab them and sell at 10.0.

Otherwise, the grading process naturally degrades a comic (however slightly - as in a careful read) down from its original coniditon, thus negating a 10.0.

On another note, what the is the difference between a "careful read" and "CGC grading"? Many submiitters (like Darth) uses gloves too, so please let me in on the secret.

I love voting in 8 year old polls.....why, the last time someone posted in this thread, George W. Bush was president, and the controlled the House!

(That would make a lot more sense if the post was from 1992, and this was 2001, but you get the point.)

Another thought, since the board has been dead as of late.

Does a 10.0 comic really exist? I believe there is no such thing as a perfect book, but for fun debate...Maybe fresh off the press a book can be Mint.....I figured once the grader's opened it and inspected it to make sure it's a 10, isn't it a 9.9 now (maybe 9.99 grin.gif )??? What do you guys think?

Cmon Darth I know you have some opinions tongue.gif

Me?