• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoops! Nick Simmons INCARNATE = Plagiarism.

74 posts in this topic

I singled that out because thats really the whole point of your post (IMO). I think its ignorant to say that all manga looks the same. And again, that can be said for any American cartoon as well, it's not just Japan.

+1 well said

We should really blame Betty Boop for the large eye thing. Tezuka was heavily influenced by her and many other American cartoons when he first started out!

Mickey Mouse was one of the ''inspirations'' to.

Hence why I said "many other American cartoons..." Betty Boop always comes to mind since he mentioned her having large eyes in an (old) interview.

I singled that out because thats really the whole point of your post (IMO). I think its ignorant to say that all manga looks the same. And again, that can be said for any American cartoon as well, it's not just Japan.

Whoa, are we talking cartoons or comics? Pretty much all cartoons here look alike now, too. You'll get no argument from me on that.

On comics, you can pick out Michael Turner from David Finch in a second. You can tell John Byrne from Frank Miller. There's a clear difference between Curt Swan and Gene Colan. It's tough to mistake Kirby for Ditko. C.C. Beck's stuff is worlds apart from Joe Shuster. Granted I'm using the big names, but they are stylistically different and a lot of folks can tell that the drawings are by different people even if they don't know the names associated with the art. When I see manga, I see one style that many artists use in an effort to appear similar.

Maybe the problem is where I live. Just like I don't get to meet or talk to a lot of artists, I don't see a lot of manga. What I do see sticks to a few basic themes. Cute scantly-clad girls; tall, thin, jagged looking men; samurai; tentacles (What is that about? Seriously, can anyone tell me?) exaggerated eyes; speed lines; and really long hair. Maybe this is the only kind of stuff my LCS gets in, although we've talked about the demand for it before and he said he only orders what is requested on manga.

In all fairness, there are certain themes in American comics as well. Big breasted women, superheroes, zombies (a relatively new theme, but huge right now), rooftops, Wolverine (he's everywhere, it's fair! lol ), and killing heroes off. Maybe my immersion in American comics for 30+ years has prejudiced me, but I can see differences in other foreign books while Japanese all look very similar.

(shrug)

I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just callin' em as I sees em. :foryou:

+1 well said

We should really blame Betty Boop for the large eye thing. Tezuka was heavily influenced by her and many other American cartoons when he first started out!

Showing my ignorance here...who is Tezuka? Does he have an American equivilent? Walt Disney? Jack Kirby?

Whoa, are we talking cartoons or comics? Pretty much all cartoons here look alike now, too. You'll get no argument from me on that.

On comics, you can pick out Michael Turner from David Finch in a second. You can tell John Byrne from Frank Miller. There's a clear difference between Curt Swan and Gene Colan. It's tough to mistake Kirby for Ditko. C.C. Beck's stuff is worlds apart from Joe Shuster. Granted I'm using the big names, but they are stylistically different and a lot of folks can tell that the drawings are by different people even if they don't know the names associated with the art. When I see manga, I see one style that many artists use in an effort to appear similar.

Maybe the problem is where I live. Just like I don't get to meet or talk to a lot of artists, I don't see a lot of manga. What I do see sticks to a few basic themes. Cute scantly-clad girls; tall, thin, jagged looking men; samurai; tentacles (What is that about? Seriously, can anyone tell me?) exaggerated eyes; speed lines; and really long hair. Maybe this is the only kind of stuff my LCS gets in, although we've talked about the demand for it before and he said he only orders what is requested on manga.

In all fairness, there are certain themes in American comics as well. Big breasted women, superheroes, zombies (a relatively new theme, but huge right now), rooftops, Wolverine (he's everywhere, it's fair! lol ), and killing heroes off. Maybe my immersion in American comics for 30+ years has prejudiced me, but I can see differences in other foreign books while Japanese all look very similar.

(shrug)

I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just callin' em as I sees em. :foryou:

Well, the exaggerated eyes was used before modern manga/anime. Betty Boop and Mickey Mouse had large eyes before Tezuka ever released a manga. I'm not trying to start a fight either, but I read and watched this manga carp for well over 10 years, and I can assure you 99% of it is influenced by American comics and cartoons.

Of course, there was that time Disney ripped off Jungle Emperor Leo and re-named it The Lion King.

Tezuka is thought of as the God Father of modern anime and manga. He's comparable to Walt Disney.

Tentacles...are used mostly for pr0n. D:

Tezuka is thought of as the God Father of modern anime and manga. He's comparable to Walt Disney.

Tentacles...are used mostly for pr0n. D:

Thanks for the info on Tezuka! :foryou: When did he get into the business?

That Lion King/Jungle Emperor is really messed up. A complete rip-off on Disney's (the company) part! Stylistically though, it still has a very Japanese look to it. Even the still shot screams "I'm Japanese!" I don't know exactly why.

I remember when Akira and Lone Wolf and Cub were new here. I ate them up! I loved them! I loved Battle of the Planets when I was a kid. I really thought that the Japanese invasion would be something I would latch on to and forget the American stuff that I was collecting. But the more that came in, the more I realized it was like us exporting The Dark Knight Returns, The Watchmen, and Super Friends to get everyone hooked, the exporting nothing but Archie books from then on.

I picked Archie not because they're aimed at kids, but because they have looked the same for decades. Archie has never had a Bill Sienkiewicz cover.....

hmNote to self, get Bill S. to do an Archie cover. Sell for millions!

anyways....but Batman has had more new looks than Madonna. I'm learning the same thing with underground comics. I've found that I'm a Crumb fan, not an underground fan, although there are other artists from that genre that I've learned to love.

tentacles (What is that about? Seriously, can anyone tell me?)

I've wondered the same thing. :roflmao:

Just weird, ain't it?

X-Treme X-Men # 38 - Storm & Callisto

CallistoandStorm.jpg

X-TremeX-Men38-10.jpg

:insane: What can I say?

ff249-supes8L.jpg

You do realize these 2 were done by the same artist, right?

Artists doing stuff like this to their own work is not attempting to steal from themselves.

Are you sure about that? One cover was copyrighted by Marvel,and done under a work for hire agreement, so doesn't Marvel "own" the rights to that cover, not Bryne

Besides, Brynes "homage" to the Legion of SuperHeroes seems orse than anything I've seen out of Simmons.

Marvel owns the trademark to their characters, the artist hold the copyright to the image he created including elements of style, layout and design that he created that are independent of the subject matter presented.

So yeah. I am pretty sure.

Yeah right. You act like you're some sort of lawyer or something....

;)

Wasn't this thread longer?

That's what she said....wait that doesn't work. Dammit.

lol It seams some of our discussion was removed for whatever reason.

Maybe posting the images was some type of copyright violation. hm