• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoops! Nick Simmons INCARNATE = Plagiarism.

74 posts in this topic

Wasn't this thread longer?

That's what she said....wait that doesn't work. Dammit.

lol It seams some of our discussion was removed for whatever reason.

Maybe posting the images was some type of copyright violation. hm

Strange, it was posted as part of a discussion. For, ahem, educational purposes.

How odd.

Tezuka is thought of as the God Father of modern anime and manga. He's comparable to Walt Disney.

Tentacles...are used mostly for pr0n. D:

Thanks for the info on Tezuka! :foryou: When did he get into the business?

That Lion King/Jungle Emperor is really messed up. A complete rip-off on Disney's (the company) part! Stylistically though, it still has a very Japanese look to it. Even the still shot screams "I'm Japanese!" I don't know exactly why.

I remember when Akira and Lone Wolf and Cub were new here. I ate them up! I loved them! I loved Battle of the Planets when I was a kid. I really thought that the Japanese invasion would be something I would latch on to and forget the American stuff that I was collecting. But the more that came in, the more I realized it was like us exporting The Dark Knight Returns, The Watchmen, and Super Friends to get everyone hooked, the exporting nothing but Archie books from then on.

I picked Archie not because they're aimed at kids, but because they have looked the same for decades. Archie has never had a Bill Sienkiewicz cover.....

hmNote to self, get Bill S. to do an Archie cover. Sell for millions!

anyways....but Batman has had more new looks than Madonna. I'm learning the same thing with underground comics. I've found that I'm a Crumb fan, not an underground fan, although there are other artists from that genre that I've learned to love.

I had a big long droppin' knowledge post ready to go about 5 hours ago, but then I went out and got drunk and came back to my house to see it gone. So here's a nifty shorter version:

Tezuka hit it big after WW2, and died in the late 80's. Leo (or Kimba, as he is also known as) was one of his earlier works. When The Lion King came out in 94, there was a big stink around the movie blatantly copying Jungle Emperor, but I think it blew over. (I vaguely remember it, and I'm too tired to run a Google search.)

Batman himself has had the manga treatment. Kia Asamiya has done some marvelous Batman stories, I highly suggest them.

I still would never say all manga looks the same though. They may have things in common, but Rumiko Takahashi and Naoko Takuechi have very distinct drawing styles.

I had a big long droppin' knowledge post ready to go about 5 hours ago, but then I went out and got drunk and came back to my house to see it gone. So here's a nifty shorter version:

You drank from 7-12? Is that how they do it in B-more? :baiting: NYers start at 12

You drank from 7-12? Is that how they do it in B-more? :baiting: NYers start at 12

You're both lame, come to the South! I just poured Maker's Mark over m y pnakcaes.....

drunk2.gif

you guys stop?

If I was going to manga-swipe, I sure wouldn't have swiped from Bleach. Hell, I'm not into manga and *I* read Bleach. I even recognize the panels in question posted in this thread and would have had I seen them in the Simmons comic.

Maybe Shannon Tweed had an affair with Rob Liefeld.

(And yes, I'm a Liefeld apologist-- love the guy, so maybe I can't condemn Simmons either.)

But his post about "stealing his work" is extraordinarily ironic.

-Rob-

i bet if you look at enough spidey panels among the 3000 or so spidey comics and appearances that a lot of them sort of look alike

doh!

Yes, because that's the allegation, that they "sort of look alike"

The allegation isn't if you superimpose one image over the other they are a line for line duplicate.

...sigh...

If we stay out too late, we start stabbing each other.

i bet if you look at enough spidey panels among the 3000 or so spidey comics and appearances that a lot of them sort of look alike

doh!

The allegation isn't if you superimpose one image over the other they are a line for line duplicate.

...sigh...

-------------------------------------

none of the images shown look like traces or superimpositions. simmons' stuff clearly used the older manga images as models though. but i don't see a trace job there.

of course, for there to be a copyright violation you don't actually have to trace the image or anything. what are the standards? off the top of my head, ...access (simmons presumably had access to these images), originality (I guess the Bleach images are sufficiently original, but that's tricky...maybe they're duped from something else) and similarity (maybe it's substantial similarity...I forget...I should remember this stuff, maybe it's "copying"...but that doesn't require photocopying, tracing or anything like that)..... on the other hand, copying 1% of some larger copyrighted work may not be a violation...the whole comic is probably copyrighted, not each panel or or page. it gets a little tricky from a legal perspective. from a plagiarism perspective, not as complicated I guess.

doh!

...sigh...

-------------------------------------

none of the images shown look like traces or superimpositions. simmons' stuff clearly used the older manga images as models though. but i don't see a trace job there.

of course, for there to be a copyright violation you don't actually have to trace the image or anything. what are the standards? off the top of my head, ...access (simmons presumably had access to these images), originality (I guess the Bleach images are sufficiently original, but that's tricky...maybe they're duped from something else) and similarity (maybe it's substantial similarity...I forget...I should remember this stuff, maybe it's "copying"...but that doesn't require photocopying, tracing or anything like that)..... on the other hand, copying 1% of some larger copyrighted work may not be a violation...the whole comic is probably copyrighted, not each panel or or page. it gets a little tricky from a legal perspective. from a plagiarism perspective, not as complicated I guess.

Click the link from earlier in this thread...they actually did superimpose the images from Bleach and Simmons images and there were several 100% matches.