• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If Action 1 8.0 is $1 million, Tec 27 8.0 is $1.1 million -- value of AF 9.4?

50 posts in this topic

With the "big two" having million dollar books for top and near top copies, is Spidey, arguably as popular and recognizable as Supes and Bats, now catapulted himself into the discussion of million dollar status for a 9.4 or 9.6? I realize there are obviously way, way more AF 15s, but not necessarily AF 15s in 9.4 or, let's say 9.6.

Can AF 15 be a million dollar book in top grade?

With the "big two" having million dollar books for top and near top copies, is Spidey, arguably as popular and recognizable as Supes and Bats, now catapulted himself into the discussion of million dollar status for a 9.4 or 9.6? I realize there are obviously way, way more AF 15s, but not necessarily AF 15s in 9.4 or, let's say 9.6.

Not yet in 9.4, but I think the lone 9.6 copy would have a shot.

Not yet in 9.4, but I think the lone 9.6 copy would have a shot.

I probably should have confined it to 9.6 -- I'd be very curious to see the 9.6 at auction... I think it probably is a $1 mil book.

IMO, none of these books are worth a million dollars as much as there are some deep pockets out there that will buy these books at the any cost mentality.

The Denitist and his kids just got richer because now if he askes $5 Million for his MH Action #1 why is he wrong if an 8.0 sold for a cool million.

Same thing for the Allentown TEC #27.

IMO, none of these books are worth a million dollars as much as there are some deep pockets out there that will buy these books at the any cost mentality.

The Denitist and his kids just got richer because now if he askes $5 Million for his MH Action #1 why is he wrong if an 8.0 sold for a cool million.

Aren't they worth what someone will pay? It's a comic book, the actual value is 10 cents.

My thought is that these high profile GA sales will not pull up SA. In fact, what we have is the opposite situation, where SA premium prices have skyrocketed the past couple of years and compressed the gap between SA and GA. AF 15 in 9.4 became a $200K book, and the other Marvel keys in 9.4 became $100K books, which really started pushing up against the top reported GA sales.

Effectively, these new GA sales have simply uncompressed the SA-GA compression and restored the typical gap in valuation between SA and GA after the big SA run up. You could say that the SA sales have pushed GA up, rather than GA potentially pulling up SA.

Does it remove psychological barriers? Sure. I think $500K for the 9.6 AF 15 suddenly becomes a whole lot more fathomable than before. But $1 million is probably still a bridge too far at this point.

And if this marks the beginning of a new GA rise, which proves to be sustainable and is followed by consistent new records across the board for premium books, then eventually, it could pull up the SA market. The market has always moved along in this kind of accordion fashion.

Aren't they worth what someone will pay? It's a comic book, the actual value is 10 cents.

Sure for those couple of deep pockets that have unlimited funds that can throw a million dollars around like it's candy.

These sales were not correct market value as much as they were "I want to be the big dog" type of purchase.

I feel these 2 million dollar sales will definitely abet the SA keys going forward. They were bumping up against what the older brothers had sold for. But now theres all that room between 225K and a million for buyers to feel comfortable raising their bids in.

Its the same reason I have for the Tec27 hitting a million. It was a lot safer (less foolish) today than just a week ago.

Sure for those couple of deep pockets that have unlimited funds that can throw a million dollars around like it's candy.

These sales were not correct market value as much as they were "I want to be the big dog" type of purchase.

theyre really the same thing at the top of any market....

My thought is that these high profile GA sales will not pull up SA. In fact, what we have is the opposite situation, where SA premium prices have skyrocketed the past couple of years and compressed the gap between SA and GA. AF 15 in 9.4 became a $200K book, and the other Marvel keys in 9.4 became $100K books, which really started pushing up against the top reported GA sales.

Effectively, these new GA sales have simply uncompressed the SA-GA compression and restored the typical gap in valuation between SA and GA after the big SA run up. You could say that the SA sales have pushed GA up, rather than GA potentially pulling up SA.

Does it remove psychological barriers? Sure. I think $500K for the 9.6 AF 15 suddenly becomes a whole lot more fathomable than before. But $1 million is probably still a bridge too far at this point.

And if this marks the beginning of a new GA rise, which proves to be sustainable and is followed by consistent new records across the board for premium books, then eventually, it could pull up the SA market. The market has always moved along in this kind of accordion fashion.

after making fun of your tax advice lol I have to give you kudos on post that is a pleasure to read (thumbs u

I probably should have confined it to 9.6 -- I'd be very curious to see the 9.6 at auction... I think it probably is a $1 mil book.

Depends upon how many of the 9.4s turn out to be squeezable to a higher grade.

John, that's ridiculous to say.

You have no idea who bought them and why they bought them.

So what is correct market value for these books and how do you find that value without actual sales?

When it comes to a book like AF 15, seriously, what is the big difference between a 9.2 or 9.6? I guess it's just collectors wanting to have the "best", but with a book that old a 9.6 is almost unnatural to me. Now, an 8.0 Tec... that has the just the right amount of wear to me :cloud9:

So I'm apparently not a high grade snob. :shy:

( totally off on a tangent, had a few Miller lite's :P )

I think that the only copy of AF #15 that could come close within the next 10 years would be a 9.9 or 10.0.

Then again, if the US gov't continues to run trillion+ deficits we may see it sooner than later due to currency devaluation alone. lol

I think that the only copy of AF #15 that could come close within the next 10 years would be a 9.9 or 10.0.

Then again, if the US gov't continues to run trillion+ deficits we may see it sooner than later due to currency devaluation alone. lol

1 Mil for the 9.6 may be a stretch....but it would pop 500 K in a New York minute. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u