• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA question

16 posts in this topic

I usually buy what the artist him/herself sweated over. :D

This has become my motto in my short time buying OA. I picked up a few things right out of the box that I still enjoy but are not quite what I'm looking for anymore. I got a few Ultimate Spider-Man pages one day, excited because Mark Bagley was my first favorite artist. While I was looking at them it dawned on me that these weren't Mark Bagley's pages...they were Scott Hanna's inks over a copy of what Mark had done. The page is is hanging to my left right now and I still enjoy it but it doesn't feel like my intended artist's work. To my right is a Ryan Ottley penciled splash page from Invincible. That one is just dripping with awesomeness for me because I can imagine Ryan hunched over this board creating exactly what is in front of me now. I still don't know much about OA but I know that I am buying what I enjoy and I think that's the best suggestion I have ever read on this forum.

This has become my motto in my short time buying OA. I picked up a few things right out of the box that I still enjoy but are not quite what I'm looking for anymore. I got a few Ultimate Spider-Man pages one day, excited because Mark Bagley was my first favorite artist. While I was looking at them it dawned on me that these weren't Mark Bagley's pages...they were Scott Hanna's inks over a copy of what Mark had done. The page is is hanging to my left right now and I still enjoy it but it doesn't feel like my intended artist's work. To my right is a Ryan Ottley penciled splash page from Invincible. That one is just dripping with awesomeness for me because I can imagine Ryan hunched over this board creating exactly what is in front of me now. I still don't know much about OA but I know that I am buying what I enjoy and I think that's the best suggestion I have ever read on this forum.

No there not... Those are Bagley pencils with Hanna inks... Marks hand physically touched and drew on those pages. Look at them and enjoy them as they're the real deal. I know this because I used to own both of em and bought them directly from Marks rep... They just came from the inkers share of the art.

No there not... Those are Bagley pencils with Hanna inks... Marks hand physically touched and drew on those pages. Look at them and enjoy them as they're the real deal. I know this because I used to own both of em and bought them directly from Marks rep... They just came from the inkers share of the art.

Thanks for the information. Like I said, I am still learning about OA. My assumption of them being just the inks came from actually being able to see the blue lines on the boards. Upon closer inspection though I can also see pencil mixed in with the inks. A lot of the blue line seems to be background structure and preliminary sketching. I guess in a way that makes it even cooler as you can see how things were moved ever so slightly.

Regardless, they are two great pages and it's kinda of neat to know how they worked their way to me. I was wondering if I bought them right from you but there was at least one party in-between us.

Joe

Regardless, they are two great pages and it's kinda of neat to know how they worked their way to me. I was wondering if I bought them right from you but there was at least one party in-between us.

Joe

Hi Joe

Nah I sold those years ago, theyve traded hands a few times since then. You'll notice a lot of blue line on Bagleys work. That's not the result of a print out but he actually uses blueline pencil as well as regular graphite pencil.

-mike

Great to know! Lots of good information for me in the OA forum today. I shiould probably spend more time in here since that seems to be all i buy lately! By the way Mike.... :o at your CAF gallery. Mark Bagley and Randy Emberlin were doing Amazing Spider-Man when I first picked up Spidey. I definitely have a soft spot for his work!

Ryan's stuff is amazing, it kinda sucks he doesnt ink his pages anymore. That is a perfect example where the inker does print out a blue line copy. Nice Ottley commish by the way Joseph!

Thanks! It looks fantastic sitting over my monitor right now. My Conquest splash page is sitting to the right of my monitor, too! Once I move some of the stuff I have right now I am going to look into picking up some of his older, inked pages.