• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: If you think buying old, expensive comics is a hopeless addiction...

36 posts in this topic

...guitars are worse:

100_0707.jpg

All hail the local music store's 90-days same-as-cash plan! Now if I only had a plan to come up with the cash... :insane:

I don't know anything about guitars, but that photo tells us something about serious craftmanship

I don't know anything about guitars, but that photo tells us something about serious craftmanship

Very true. Rickenbacker makes guitars in relatively small batches compared to the other leading manufacturers who still produce at least some portion of their line domestically (e.g., Fender and Gibson). Many of them are spoken for via phone sales before dealers are even able to rack them, and there's often a long waiting period for certain models. I lucked into this one locally last week: back in November when I was looking, there wasn't a music store within a 3-hour drive of my house that had this model in stock...

that's a very nice looking guitar. unlike comics, you can display and play with a guitar.

also it's one of the few collectibles that can be more valuable if it's more worn out.

for example: eric clapton's "blackie" stratocaster which sold for $959500 in june 2004.

(almost an action 1 or tec 27)

blackiepic.jpg

maybe it's worth a few grand if brand new?

i never figured out why some people pay extra to have their new guitar "reliced" (artificially add

wear on a new guitar). just play it!

Speaking of valuable worn out guitars... This is what I'd want if I was super rich and ever went to auction...

springsteenfender.jpg

:applause:

I think the Boss is gonna be buried with that one. It even has its own bodyguards when he's on tour. Not bad for what? A $200 or $300 investment (tops!) back in the early '70s when a '50s Esquire was just another used guitar, and NOBODY was really playing them in Rock and Roll at the time...

Speaking of valuable worn out guitars... This is what I'd want if I was super rich and ever went to auction...

springsteenfender.jpg

I think the Boss is gonna be buried with that one. It even has its own bodyguards when he's on tour. Not bad for what? A $200 or $300 investment (tops!) back in the early '70s when a '50s Esquire was just another used guitar, and NOBODY was really playing them in Rock and Roll at the time...

I think Walter Becker of Steely Dan really liked that guitar but you're right...not a common choice.

...guitars are worse:

100_0707.jpg

All hail the local music store's 90-days same-as-cash plan! Now if I only had a plan to come up with the cash... :insane:

Very cool Mikey!

springsteenfender.jpg

I've heard Bruce say 60 bucks, I've heard him say $180 from a pawn shop that his mother bought for him. But yes, he probably will be buried with it,having it guarded while he's on tour doesn't surprise me the least, I think it's at the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame right now.He doesn't play it on tour,only uses it for videos and photo shoots.

I think Walter Becker of Steely Dan really liked that guitar but you're right...not a common choice.

Good point. I can't remember if Becker's stage guitar back in the day was originally a Telecaster or an Esquire (not that there's a huge difference). But I'm pretty sure it had been routed for a humbucker in the neck position, whereas Bruce's Esquire was (eventually) configured more like a standard Tele. Interesting that two of the most iconoclastic writers and guitarists of that period chose very NON rock star axes for the era...

that's a very nice looking guitar. unlike comics, you can display and play with a guitar.

also it's one of the few collectibles that can be more valuable if it's more worn out.

for example: eric clapton's "blackie" stratocaster which sold for $959500 in june 2004.

It`s not the wear, per se, but the age of the guitar. There is often a premium for Fenders and Gibsons that were manufactured before a certain date, because the quality of the craftsmanship was superior.

In the case of Blackie, obviously the premium was also from it being Clapton`s guitar, and not just any of Clapton`s guitars, but one of his very favorites.

Didn`t I read recently that one of Jimmy Page`s best Les Pauls is going to be sold?

i never figured out why some people pay extra to have their new guitar "reliced" (artificially add

wear on a new guitar).

It`s simple. They`re poseurs.

Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.

Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?

Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!

Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.

Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.

Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?

Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.

It`s not the wear, per se, but the age of the guitar. There is often a premium for Fenders and Gibsons that were manufactured before a certain date, because the quality of the craftsmanship was superior.

In the case of Blackie, obviously the premium was also from it being Clapton`s guitar, and not just any of Clapton`s guitars, but one of his very favorites.

wear on a new guitar).

It`s simple. They`re poseurs.

i agree with you 100%. i made a facetious remark about wear being the only factor in increasing the value of a guitar. it's true that the age and provenance of ownership can greatly increase the value of an instrument. didn't dweezil zappa try to sell for a million a hendrix stratocaster that was supposedly burned on stage? page did say he had too many guitars and wanted to trim down. as for poseurs, they probably also buy those pre-stressed jeans with holes and slashes.