• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Ian; Redux,a serious question.

82 posts in this topic

[i have to sadly say that the excitement I've been feeling and the support I enjoyed, each and every time I posted up the dwindling list, has been truly soured. When I first arrived, I thought the guys on these boards were the nicest and warmest human beings I'd ever come across, having spent a long time involved in the Soul Music scene, and feeling embittered by the backstabbing and the politics. Sadly and tragically, some of the stuff on these boards is going the same way. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I'm not gonna stick around to watch a hobby that brings me so much pleasure, turn ugly and sour. NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Poor, poor, Ian,..always the victim,...so mis-understood,...my heart goes out to you bud.... frown.gif

have to sadly say that the excitement I've been feeling and the support I enjoyed, each and every time I posted up the dwindling list, has been truly soured. When I first arrived, I thought the guys on these boards were the nicest and warmest human beings I'd ever come across, having spent a long time involved in the Soul Music scene, and feeling embittered by the backstabbing and the politics. Sadly and tragically, some of the stuff on these boards is going the same way. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I'm not gonna stick around to watch a hobby that brings me so much pleasure, turn ugly and sour. NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Hey Ian, have you ever ONCE made a post about anything other than your collection, a book in your collection, the scarcity of a book in your collection, your collection, how many books you need for your collection, your DC collection, or the ugly and petty people who are standing in the way of your quest to complete your collection? Have you ever even posted in a thread that you didn't start?

And several of you thought I was rash when I posted on the New Year's Resolutions thread that I was "not going to get involved in the world of Ian Levine Drama Queen."

(this post does not count as involvement per se)... grin.gif

Was that a song by ABBA?

And several of you thought I was rash when I posted on the New Year's Resolutions thread that I was "not going to get involved in the world of Ian Levine Drama Queen."

(this post does not count as involvement per se)... grin.gif

Was that a song by ABBA?

Umm, that was "Dancing Queen" take a look at your avitar! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

have to sadly say that the excitement I've been feeling and the support I enjoyed, each and every time I posted up the dwindling list, has been truly soured. When I first arrived, I thought the guys on these boards were the nicest and warmest human beings I'd ever come across, having spent a long time involved in the Soul Music scene, and feeling embittered by the backstabbing and the politics. Sadly and tragically, some of the stuff on these boards is going the same way. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I'm not gonna stick around to watch a hobby that brings me so much pleasure, turn ugly and sour. NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Hey Ian, have you ever ONCE made a post about anything other than your collection, a book in your collection, the scarcity of a book in your collection, your collection, how many books you need for your collection, your DC collection, or the ugly and petty people who are standing in the way of your quest to complete your collection? Have you ever even posted in a thread that you didn't start?

Dartboard.jpg????

cup.jpg

Dag nabit REDHOOK , your wife is gonna be really peeved when she sees you broke her teacup, just to take a picture for your post on da boards.

I'm still waiting to be invited over for tea,...guess that isn't happening anytime soon..... sorry.gif

Have to say that this thread did go off the rails there. To be fair Ian is politically naive, over the top, and should've, in hindsight, kept his private dealings to himself. A Forum is no place to discuss anything in a deal apart from the transaction part. However (let's face it) Ian may have been guilty in extremis of making two specific deals public, but many other people involved have done the same. The thread eventually became a free -for-all criticising Ian more for what he may do more than what he had done.

All right, Ian's obsessive and has tunnel vision. But he ain't Comic-Keys, and there are always two sides to every story. Learned Forumites would know that the truth usually if not always falls somewhere in between. There have been many deals in the past, according to Ian, that were let go as a price could not be agreed. No harm done to either party- Ian carried on elsewhere, and the vendor sold his books to someone else. I myself have turned down offers for some of my books from Ian, but there has been no ill will as a result. Sadly there are those who don't realize this and as a result deals involving Ian may go awry that needn't have. Already (I'm serious.)

Ian had a bad experience with Metro. Granted it should have stayed private. But let's face it, many people on these boards have aired their displeasure with many a dealer or ebay seller. The difference in this case was that it was Metro, a major player and Forumite as well. Ergo, politics.

Ian has had good experiences with the vast majority of his trading partners. And many collectors have had a good experience with Metro (they wouldn't be in business if they weren't good). As Fantastic Four pointed out, Metro did a bad thing. Ian, impetuously, made it public (although he was goaded into giving the game away - remember?). However Metro apologized. Ian and Metro made up. The second time, Metro and Ian both reached an acceptable deal. So why is Metro absolved and Ian ostracised, seemingly permanently, from these boards, when both parties in this incident came to an agreement? And is Ian being roundly castigated as a bad pony for his relationship with two or three people?

To answer my own question, it boils down to the fact that the "Wheels Are In Motion" thread was heavily anti - Metro. This thread was initially about finders' fees but was eventually about redressing the balance - i.e. bashing Ian.

Ian made some valid points about his gratefully remunerating people who had helped him (even when they didn't ask) and yet said posts were not greeted with contrition but stonewalling - they were merely lost in the shuffle - no-one was interested as politics had entered the frame, and Ian had outstayed his welcome (but not with everyone, obviously).

Ian has mentioned to me that he's gone from these boards.

Ian has mentioned to me that he's gone from these boards.

I'm very sorry to see Ian leave. One of the main reasons I check these boards every day is to keep up with how his collection is going. I found his posts to be some of the most interesting. Now I'll never be able to follow along and watch, in real time, as his want list dwindles. I'll never be able to share the excitement or know the circumstances when he finally obtains Buzzy #70. I even have one of the minor books on his list but he's picking them up at such a fast clip I thought I would wait awhile and see if he picks it up elsewhere first. This is like reading a long, suspenseful novel with the last several pages ripped out. frown.gif

As I said on the other Ian thread - if Ian has gone it's a real shame

Ian, I'm sure you're reading - just think f*** em - and let's get back with this fascinating collecting story.

Come on, where's that Churchillian resolve!