• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Ian; Redux,a serious question.

82 posts in this topic

after I poster earlier, I got to thinking about Ian, his quest, his posts and these threads involvement in his collection. Initially, there ws a rela enthusiasm for him an dhis endeavor. The coleness of it. The sheer audacity of it..and to be so close. But, as we're seeing in the Democraitic Primary season unfolding now, we start with certain assumptions about people we do not know, and these assumptions begin to shift an dchange as we get to know them better. We see how thet react to situations that develop on th ecampaign trail...and judge them according to their comments, movements and the way they handle themselves. Candidates fortunes rise and fall as popular opinion comes and goes.

I think you see where Im going here... basically, after months now of the Ian Campaign, we have seen and heard enough to all come to our own conclusions.

sigh... I really wasn't going to get involved here... but since I am the principal party originally discussed here's my commentary.

Let me first correct something: Ian stated I did everything possible to ensure Metro would get the book. That's not true. I did contact Metro and I did put Joe and Metro together... I also put Ian and Joe together. They decided the outcome of the book not me. Ian is bitter because I didn't do everything I could to further him getting the book. I invite anyone who believes Ian to be a a "good guy" who is enlisting the help of forumites to aid in the completion of his collection to consider very carefully the tactics employed, the words posted on this forum and the attitude Ian has exemplified in pursuing his books. There are two ways to pursue things in life: with class and without. Each one of us on our own should decide how Ian conducted himself in this and other transactions. BUT, I do not wish Ian any failure and hope that he is able to complete his collection. I simply will never even consider him as an option if I come across one of the books on his list, and it has nothing to do with receiving any money... it has to do with attitude.

For the record, I never expected anything of Ian nor would I think it be necessary in the least. I never asked anything of Metro, nor would I think it be necessary. I did not actively "drive up" the price, I merely suggested different avenues, and ultimately, I only suggested one primary dealer: Metro.

What I did, and the advice I gave, and any time spent, was to do one thing... help my friend Joe in achieving the best price I could. To all my friends on the forum, I will say this: I would do the same for any of you guys. I would expect no financial compensation in return. Why? Because I know you guys would do the same for me. If things in this hobby are truly not all about the money, then money shouldn't be expected simply because it could have been gained. Keep in mind, all I did was contact a couple of people, and give Joe my perspective and advice. That's it. I didn't do any true work and spend any real time. If any of my friends call me for advice, I'm going to give it... I'm going to help them sell their book or find it. And none of us, I'd venture, would charge any of our friends for such a service. That extends to all of the truly good people I've met in person and online here. I'm willing to bet in a similar circumstance, Gene, DAM, Chrisco, Darth, FD, House, Mr. Woggie, Redhook etc., ALL would have done the same for their friends.

Joe was fortunate enough to have discovered the book. He didn't even realize what he had when first bought it (as part of a larger collection) til he looked it up in the OS. Joe and his family have always treated me well over the years with books, and continue to this day to do so. JC Comics is a tremendous store and I will continue to give them business.

What I hope for is that Ian will finally just go on, others will do, what others will do, but I will simply remain silent on him as a subject and move on. I wish him well.

People ought to lighten up on Metro, who has gotten an extremely raw deal about their reputation. Vincent has always acted with class towards me, has treated everyone I know with class, and while sometimes a little overemotional, is a good guy. People levy criticism without considering the consequences and do so often with out the proper foundation of knowledge.

Finally, I just wanted to say, I accomplished what I set out to do: point Joe in the right direction to achieve the best possible result. He did the rest. I'm happy for Joe that he got the best deal for the book he could.

I picture myself pulling a Buzzy 70 out of a box and asking myself "What the heck do I do now?"...

Realistically, if you do pull a Buzzy 70 out of a box, it won't be more than ten dollars unless it's someone on this forum, who wouldn't take it to a show to sell either.

I think you posited more than once that the Fat+Slat Jokebook which guides for a fairly nominal amount should guide for $10K. However, you own one of these and 29975+ others. Why should Buzzy 70 or some of the other oddball issues be any different ? Maybe not $10K, but you don't own one so it must be scarcer than the F+S Jokebook. In fact, this issue has a difficult pedigree already for DC completionists.

We're still waiting for you to post your standard finders fee and what you expect of a finder.

I've never paid a finders fee before. I remortgaged the house to complete my DC collection, and prior to that, I sold all the valuable items out of my record collection to fund it, I don't have any spare cash, and I rely upon people's goodwill. Having said that, I offered some spare comics to Metarog and he refused. In fact over a few weeks he refused three times, until finally I was so appreciative of all his help that I just sent them to him anyway, despite his protestations.

PLEASE remember that to me it's my hobby, not my business.

basically, after months now of the Ian Campaign, we have seen and heard enough to all come to our own conclusions.

I'm not running for office, I'm just trying to complete my collection. I have had some wonderful help from very kind members of these boards, such as Metarog, Allan Chao (I forget what he calls himself on here), Timely, Flying Donut, Greggy, and lots of others. It's not about money, it's about helping a fellow collector, just like I've been doing with Jerome Wenker. Some of these posts today have soured this board for me. Part of me wants to quit, to not go where I'm not wanted. I would do so but for the marvellous help I've received from the names I mentioned above.

I have to sadly say that the excitement I've been feeling and the support I enjoyed, each and every time I posted up the dwindling list, has been truly soured. When I first arrived, I thought the guys on these boards were the nicest and warmest human beings I'd ever come across, having spent a long time involved in the Soul Music scene, and feeling embittered by the backstabbing and the politics. Sadly and tragically, some of the stuff on these boards is going the same way. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I'm not gonna stick around to watch a hobby that brings me so much pleasure, turn ugly and sour. NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!

When I first arrived, I thought the guys on these boards were the nicest and warmest human beings I'd ever come across, having spent a long time involved in the Soul Music scene, and feeling embittered by the backstabbing and the politics. Sadly and tragically, some of the stuff on these boards is going the same way. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I'm not gonna stick around to watch a hobby that brings me so much pleasure, turn ugly and sour. NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Backstabbing and politics? Ian, you can't be serious. YOU are the one that started with this whole "backstabbing and politics" business when you brought to light the More Fun deal and the SNAFU with Metro. Then you endulge us all with the tales of the Double Action #2. Some things should stay private if you don't want public scrutiny. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

DAM

Ian, I truly hope you are able to complete your collection. And if I should happen to locate a book on your list, I will certainly contact you to let you know.

As for what happens after that... who can say...

Backstabbing and politics? Ian, you can't be serious. YOU are the one that started with this whole "backstabbing and politics" business when you brought to light the More Fun deal and the SNAFU with Metro. Then you endulge us all with the tales of the Double Action #2. Some things should stay private if you don't want public scrutiny. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

DAM

Excellent observation, DAM! I am also tired of the "poor me - everyone hates me - I think I will quit" attitude. How in the world did you get this far, Ian?!?!

What I wonder is how prevalent is it to have a collector take a second mortgage out on their home to complete a comic book collection. 893whatthe.gif I have never heard of such a thing before, but I guess I could see it with a higher grade collector that might get some of their investment back or is doing a quick flip on a high end key. Anyone else know someone who has done this?

- D.

I have to sadly say that the excitement I've been feeling and the support I enjoyed, each and every time I posted up the dwindling list, has been truly soured. When I first arrived, I thought the guys on these boards were the nicest and warmest human beings I'd ever come across, having spent a long time involved in the Soul Music scene, and feeling embittered by the backstabbing and the politics. Sadly and tragically, some of the stuff on these boards is going the same way. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I'm not gonna stick around to watch a hobby that brings me so much pleasure, turn ugly and sour. NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!

I guess I'm the one that has to say it....

Ian, you need to grow the hell up!

You came to this board asking for assistance and continued to bombard the board with every aspect of your "quest". In the process, you have gone (way) out of your way to badmouth a respected dealer and other board members if you saw that they didn't share your point of view. All the while acting as if you're entitled to goodwill because of your "quest". Personally, the more you've posted the more you've come off as arrogant and immature, especially lately. I truly hope you accomplish your collection. I really do. But you've made your own bed here. You don't like it, I suggest you look in the mirror....

Jim

In the process, you have gone (way) out of your way to badmouth a respected dealer and other board members if you saw that they didn't share your point of view.

He wasn't totally off-base...that "the wheels are in motion" comment would've pissed ANYBODY off.

In the process, you have gone (way) out of your way to badmouth a respected dealer and other board members if you saw that they didn't share your point of view.

He wasn't totally off-base...that "the wheels are in motion" comment would've pissed ANYBODY off.

Maybe....but that doesn't excuse the second round of posts attacking Metro.

Jim

Great post Foolkiller.....it reminds me of that old saying ,

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"

Glad you were able to help out your friend, and also for clarifying things even more.

Backstabbing and politics? Ian, you can't be serious. YOU are the one that started with this whole "backstabbing and politics" business when you brought to light the More Fun deal and the SNAFU with Metro. Then you endulge us all with the tales of the Double Action #2. Some things should stay private if you don't want public scrutiny.

DAM

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif