• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic dealers do you stay away from?

164 posts in this topic

First impressions are very important, but they aren't the be all and end all of how a person does business. I have been in the hobby for over 30 years and in my opinion there are a lot of good dealers out there. I have always had good dealings with Ted Vanliew, Terry O'Neill, Jim Payette and Al Stoltz. Heck, I even like Richie Muchin. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys in the hobby, but he can talk the paint off a house. On the other hand, I avoid loud mouths, the self-professed big shots, and those who won't bargain with you. I believe that medication and counseling would help some of these folks, if they would only seek professional help...

Ted from Superworld, when I was 16 or so I got something from them through CBG, no ebay then, it was a Sub-Mariner something or other, in the 30 range for less than a 100 bucks. Way, way overgraded. Sent it back, no problem. A week later I get a package from them. Same book! He said I switched out copies, that wasn't the one he sent me. Wouldn't take or return any of my calls. I've seen him over and over through the years, just want to rip that dudes heart out. Luckily I've chilled through the years too.

Wow. You wanted to rip someones heart out over a comic book?

Oh and I forgot about my homey from Maryland, Al Stoltz, Basement comics. 15 years ago at a local convention in Maryland, I had a table. I was only 22 years old and I was only selling about 300 comics but they were good comics, many of them rare golden age so Al had a table set up too and came over and looked at my wall of comics and said, "You have some really nice stuff here, you should blow it out at 60% off." So I said, "What are you the wise guy of comics?" I find it ironic that he said I should mark everything 60% off when all he does is sell his stuff for a billion times over guide and then BRAGS about it in his market report in Overstreet. This guy is a piece of work.

I have known and dealt with Al Stolz for years. He has always been ethical and a complete gentleman. Maybe he was joking and you didn't get his sense of humor.

Oh and I forgot about my homey from Maryland, Al Stoltz, Basement comics. 15 years ago at a local convention in Maryland, I had a table. I was only 22 years old and I was only selling about 300 comics but they were good comics, many of them rare golden age so Al had a table set up too and came over and looked at my wall of comics and said, "You have some really nice stuff here, you should blow it out at 60% off." So I said, "What are you the wise guy of comics?" I find it ironic that he said I should mark everything 60% off when all he does is sell his stuff for a billion times over guide and then BRAGS about it in his market report in Overstreet. This guy is a piece of work.

I have known and dealt with Al Stolz for years. He has always been ethical and a complete gentleman. Maybe he was joking and you didn't get his sense of humor.

Those are my exact thoughts. The guy is a class act and it quite funny too. I'm betting that is exactly what has happened.

Those are my exact thoughts. The guy is a class act and it quite funny too. I'm betting that is exactly what has happened.

I've got nothing but good things to say about Al Stoltz; first rate and a very knowledgeable guy. (thumbs u

Ted from Superworld, when I was 16 or so I got something from them through CBG, no ebay then, it was a Sub-Mariner something or other, in the 30 range for less than a 100 bucks. Way, way overgraded. Sent it back, no problem. A week later I get a package from them. Same book! He said I switched out copies, that wasn't the one he sent me. Wouldn't take or return any of my calls. I've seen him over and over through the years, just want to rip that dudes heart out. Luckily I've chilled through the years too.

Wow. You wanted to rip someones heart out over a comic book?

Seriously. Needless to say, my first impression of someone who says that over a comic book transaction is not very good, particularly as it sounds like a 16 year old.

Now I won't let this permanently shape my opinion of tfa1998 because I have no idea who he (or she I suppose, haven't checked to see if gender evidence was offered) is and maybe the post is a sentiment of a bad day or the thoughts of a 16 year old at the time and he has since matured. For all I know tf1998 is the nicest person in the world, and an asset in this hobby to deal with, and I hope that is the case. (thumbs u

it is possible that he thought the seller was trying to "move the stuff out" and was offering advice, and in general the advice he gave would be the same advice all dealers would give. Mark them down to 60% and you sell them all at that show & have your cash.

First impressions are what counts and if you're a butt to someone because you're trying to buy books to sell or you're having a bad day well that's just too bad and money out of their pocket. If they can't handle buying and selling at the same time then obviously they should be doing something else.

If your opinion was what most people followed many of my good friends and colleagues, both in comics and in law, I would not be friends with today. And that goes both ways as to whose first impression was negative. :gossip:

First impressions are what counts and if you're a butt to someone because you're trying to buy books to sell or you're having a bad day well that's just too bad and money out of their pocket. If they can't handle buying and selling at the same time then obviously they should be doing something else.

If your opinion was what most people followed many of my good friends and colleagues, both in comics and in law, I would not be friends with today. And that goes both ways as to whose first impression was negative. :gossip:

+1

I think to many people have no idea how much work is involved at a convention and the bigger the convention + the bigger your booth size = more work than anyone can handle.

if you can't "wait your turn" on the dealer the same as you do at the bank or the supermarket.. the problem is not the dealer, it's the lack of patience that the customer has. Then if you want them to immediately respond to your questions while they are talking to someone who was there when you walked up.. again, learn some patience.

most of the dealers listed in this thread like Richie Muchin and Al Stoltz are longtime friends of mine. Sometimes Richie can be difficult.. we all have our moods (some of you have more moods than others). Al Stoltz?? I can't imagine anyone having a gripe with Al.. That's a real stretch.

Also, we deal with 1000's of people all year long. I'd lay money on a bet that most customers have no idea how much work this involves in all aspects of our lives (dealers). Most of us work very many more hours in our jobs than most customers work in their job. Currently my workload is at least 60 hours a week. Most people who have to work 41 complain about that extra hour.. But anyway, we deal with 1000's of people all year long and though many people do believe the old addage "the customer is always right" the statement couldn't be further from the truth and some customers are never right.

Vote with your money. If you want that rare book that's stickered at $1000 and you can only get a $25 discount.. you decide if that's what you want. It doesn't make the dealer a bad guy. How many discounts do you get at Macy's or at the mall foodcourt? I can hear it now "yes your list price on the Roast Beef sandwich on chibata bread is $6.95... how about if we make it $5.00 and you throw in an order of fries??"

Don't get me wrong.. some complaints I see in this thread are valid.. others, less so. Some are just bad attitude - and not just from dalers.

I feel for you dealers, I'm sure it's a lot of work. And I've seen so many buyers just jump right in and ask tons of annoying questions when you're trying to work with someone who's waited their turn. But you can not deny that there are those dealers who just come off as disdainful or rude. It happens, trust me. I'm a very polite buyer, and a good potential customer, if not someone who throws down a grand every few minutes. How hard is it to just be polite? I too put in 60 hour weeks, and if during that time I have to deal with my clients, there's no way in hell I could get away with some of the 'tude I've gotten at cons. Even if I've put in an 80 hour week I still need to show respect, it's not optional.

Rude behavior should be saved for Burger King employees. I find it funny when I get a cold look there. At the comic convention I expect better.

For instance, there are some OA dealers who are laughably unhelpful. One in particular actually, who I've run into at every convention in the NY area for the last couple years. Sorry, I don't really know people's names, besides Harley Yee (who I kinda like working with). Anyway, it's impossible to get this guy to hop out of his chair. I'll ask about the price of something on the wall and he tells me he can't remember. If I'm looking through one of his books and ask who an artist is ("is this Gil Kane?") he'll say say "Yeah probably," without even looking. It's comical. Actually, I saw him again over the weekend and he recognized me, and was a bit more civil as a result. Then I saw him over at Bill Sienkiewicz's table trying to get a commission he'd asked for a while back, and he was so solicitous and toadying, I almost burst out laughing.

He does have some awesome pages though, like thousands of them or something.

I feel for you dealers, I'm sure it's a lot of work. And I've seen so many buyers just jump right in and ask tons of annoying questions when you're trying to work with someone who's waited their turn. But you can not deny that there are those dealers who just come off as disdainful or rude. It happens, trust me. I'm a very polite buyer, and a good potential customer, if not someone who throws down a grand every few minutes. How hard is it to just be polite? I too put in 60 hour weeks, and if during that time I have to deal with my clients, there's no way in hell I could get away with some of the 'tude I've gotten at cons. Even if I've put in an 80 hour week I still need to show respect, it's not optional.

Rude behavior should be saved for Burger King employees. I find it funny when I get a cold look there. At the comic convention I expect better.

For instance, there are some OA dealers who are laughably unhelpful. One in particular actually, who I've run into at every convention in the NY area for the last couple years. Sorry, I don't really know people's names, besides Harley Yee (who I kinda like working with). Anyway, it's impossible to get this guy to hop out of his chair. I'll ask about the price of something on the wall and he tells me he can't remember. If I'm looking through one of his books and ask who an artist is ("is this Gil Kane?") he'll say say "Yeah probably," without even looking. It's comical. Actually, I saw him again over the weekend and he recognized me, and was a bit more civil as a result. Then I saw him over at Bill Sienkiewicz's table trying to get a commission he'd asked for a while back, and he was so solicitous and toadying, I almost burst out laughing.

He does have some awesome pages though, like thousands of them or something.

there's no reason for a dealer to be rude in general. i wouldn't dispute that

Neat stuff may pay $30,000 for an ad but they sure don't know how to grade comics!!!!!!!!!!

I stay away from Richard Muchin at shows. I don't care what he is selling and how bad I need it. He doesnt put prices on his comics and when you ask him how much something is, he gets an attitude.

Terry O'neil may be an Overstreet advisor but he sold me two books through his catalog that were restored and he didnt indicate it and when I have seen him at shows, he has an attitude too. Is it really that hard to be a nice guy and sell comics?

Terry was fair with me when I was selling him comics. And so was Dave Reynolds. Unfortunately, I get a little too generous when I am trying to sell but probably too tough when buying. It works out OK if I buy low and sell low but somehow I tend to lose money due to buying too wide a variety. Trading has never been a good idea. I lost a lot when trading with Camelot a long time ago and trading with Dave more recently wasn't such a good deal but that was my fault. Jon Bevans and Tom Gordon were great guys to deal with. They were willing to bargain and I always learned a lot while talking with them.

bb

it is possible that he thought the seller was trying to "move the stuff out" and was offering advice, and in general the advice he gave would be the same advice all dealers would give. Mark them down to 60% and you sell them all at that show & have your cash.

The way I understood it was that he had such nice wall books that Al kiddingly said "You should discount that stuff 60%" He was paying a compliment, in other words

Pretty surprised by this. I traded a couple of books to Ted at WW Chicago a few years back for a Red Dragon 8. I subsequently sold it on the boards months later, to Colin I think, who informed me that the centerfold was missing. I emailed Ted about it and he graciously undid the deal hassle free. That definitely made an impression, as there are a lot of dealers out there who would not have done the same.

I'm always shocked by the dealers and advanced collectors that miss a page or a centerfold out. hm

It's always one of the first things I check. (shrug)

Neat stuff may pay $30,000 for an ad but they sure don't know how to grade comics!!!!!!!!!!

I stay away from Richard Muchin at shows. I don't care what he is selling and how bad I need it. He doesnt put prices on his comics and when you ask him how much something is, he gets an attitude.

Terry O'neil may be an Overstreet advisor but he sold me two books through his catalog that were restored and he didnt indicate it and when I have seen him at shows, he has an attitude too. Is it really that hard to be a nice guy and sell comics?

Richard is just a different personality. Takes a little to get use to him. Very knowledgeable about books and the hobby though.

I am glad that everybody likes Al Stoltz but when I have one bad experience with a dealer it kinda makes me not want to go back to him but I see Al so much because we live in the same state that I have tried to buy from him since my incident and his prices are astronomical and there is virtually no wiggle room.

On the flip side, my favorite dealers are:

Metropolis collectibles

Harley Yee

Jim Payette

John Haines

And of course Ebay

How do we define "good" comic dealers? Are they "nice guys"? Easy to deal with? Maybe they can tell a joke or two? Perhaps they are the kind of guys we would invite home for the holiday's? I guess that's important to some?

Maybe, the great dealers are the ones we can negotiate with? Perhaps they have marked a $500 book with a $700 price tag and we can negotiate them down to $600 or even $500? (shrug)

Do they take back defective merchandise? That's important. WE all like to believe that the seller stands behind their sales. (thumbs u

From my perspective , what truly matters is my confidence that the dealer is selling me properly graded books. My grading abilities are lacking a bit. However, it's a hobby for me. For dealers, it's their livelihood. Given that CGC books sell for stronger prices than raw books a dealers ability to judge "CGC" grades is what drives my confidence in him.. A dealer that consistently sells books that fail to meet CGC standards is more important TO ME than whether he has a reputation of being a nice guy.

How do we define "good" comic dealers? Are they "nice guys"? Easy to deal with? Maybe they can tell a joke or two? Perhaps they are the kind of guys we would invite home for the holiday's? I guess that's important to some?

Maybe, the great dealers are the ones we can negotiate with? Perhaps they have marked a $500 book with a $700 price tag and we can negotiate them down to $600 or even $500? (shrug)

Do they take back defective merchandise? That's important. WE all like to believe that the seller stands behind their sales. (thumbs u

From my perspective , what truly matters is my confidence that the dealer is selling me properly graded books. My grading abilities are lacking a bit. However, it's a hobby for me. For dealers, it's their livelihood. Given that CGC books sell for stronger prices than raw books a dealers ability to judge "CGC" grades is what drives my confidence in him.. A dealer that consistently sells books that fail to meet CGC standards is more important TO ME than whether he has a reputation of being a nice guy.

Sounds reasonable. But if he won't give me the time of day, we're never going to get to the point of debating a given grade. Plus, there are other sellers. Nothing I'm looking for is so rare that I have to deal with farcical lameness. I just move on.