• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

State of the GA Market - 2010

62 posts in this topic

Ha! Ha! No offense taken! Multiple conversations taking place simultaneously is par for the course on the boards!

The pre-Robin splash pages were exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that--too funny!

and I should have known to think of that doh!

Tec 35 splash is one of the greatest for a number of reasons. :luhv:

the BEST Bat splash page IMO (thumbs u I really wish that was the splash on the 31 ;)

Yeah, if it was though then 31 would truly have it all!

I wish 31 had a splash, but at least it is the first new Batman logo! Head on Wings.

i don't really like the splash on 31 for some reason (shrug)

yeah, it is really not a splash in my opinion. more of just a logo and some fancy words.

We should demand a refund. (shrug)

just tear the page out. :makepoint:

lollol

:roflmao:

(and then sell the page on ebay for a few $$$)

If the hobby is all about what's in the plastic tomb then I'm in trouble! I think less than 1% of my entire collection is slabbed and the one slabbed GA book I owned was popped out of its casing and read the day I received it.

Covers rock--no getting around it. It seems like this is where most of the artist's time and energy were poured into most of the time. But there are some interior splashes and panels that are just something else! And then ads! Oh man, do you guys read the ads in these books? It's probably just as interesting to me as the storylines themselves! I mean, they're just such cool snapshots of who we were as a country decades upon decades ago. This is a component to comics that I never experienced with my SA-Modern comics. Probably the closest would be reading some of Stan Lee's responses in his letterbox (also quite fun to do), but still...

No... I think that something is lost when books are left forever in the tomb. I realize on the CGC Forum that makes me a minority, and that's ok! We've all said it before, collect what and how you like and you can't miss. :grin:

I think that one of the reasons that key books (and esp covers) continue to break out and pull away from the rest of the run is because of the slab. If people don't begin to enjoy the interiors of comics and their content I believe you'll continue to see this happen as the market polarizes towards key and cover collecting.

Many collectors have also been almost brainwashed into thinking that they have to choose between a slabbed book and an unslabbed book when in truth, both are the same comic. There seems to be a perception that slabbed is more expensive and yetif you are a buying from a reputable person the price will often be the same.

I love flipping through my books more than I enjoy simply looking at the covers...and yes Forrest, the interior ads rock!

There seems to be a perception that slabbed is more expensive and yetif you are a buying from a reputable person the price will often be the same.

lol I guess that`s one way to look at it. Unfortunately, it`s never the case where the slabbed book is priced as cheap as a raw book. A reputable seller/dealer will leverage his good reputation to price the raw book as much as if it were slabbed. It`s totally a one-way street.

State of the Hobby:

A) Everything I want costs too much.

B) Everything I want to sell to raise funds to address part A only sells at 50% of guide if at all. (Even books that used to be in category A that I bought anyhow.)

Story of my life

State of the Hobby:

B) Everything I want to sell to raise funds to address part A only sells at 50% of guide if at all. (Even books that used to be in category A that I bought anyhow.)

Story of my life

Ditto. :sorry:

A reputable seller/dealer will leverage his good reputation to price the raw book as much as if it were slabbed.

On the other hand, a disreputable dealer/seller can crack a slabbed book, boost the grade, and not disclose restoration or trimming.

State of the Hobby:

Story of my life

And yet you got another Batman #1. So it can't be all that bad. (thumbs u

State of the Hobby:

Story of my life

If you guys are starting a club, I'm in.

If the hobby is all about what's in the plastic tomb then I'm in trouble! I think less than 1% of my entire collection is slabbed and the one slabbed GA book I owned was popped out of its casing and read the day I received it.

Covers rock--no getting around it. It seems like this is where most of the artist's time and energy were poured into most of the time. But there are some interior splashes and panels that are just something else! And then ads! Oh man, do you guys read the ads in these books? It's probably just as interesting to me as the storylines themselves! I mean, they're just such cool snapshots of who we were as a country decades upon decades ago. This is a component to comics that I never experienced with my SA-Modern comics. Probably the closest would be reading some of Stan Lee's responses in his letterbox (also quite fun to do), but still...

No... I think that something is lost when books are left forever in the tomb. I realize on the CGC Forum that makes me a minority, and that's ok! We've all said it before, collect what and how you like and you can't miss. :grin:

I think that one of the reasons that key books (and esp covers) continue to break out and pull away from the rest of the run is because of the slab. If people don't begin to enjoy the interiors of comics and their content I believe you'll continue to see this happen as the market polarizes towards key and cover collecting.

Many collectors have also been almost brainwashed into thinking that they have to choose between a slabbed book and an unslabbed book when in truth, both are the same comic. There seems to be a perception that slabbed is more expensive and yetif you are a buying from a reputable person the price will often be the same.

I love flipping through my books more than I enjoy simply looking at the covers...and yes Forrest, the interior ads rock!

Whenever someone comes over to check out my comics Roy, I always show them the Action Comics 24 you sold me with the handwritten note by the member of the Superman Fan club! :headbang: Even with non-comic collectors, that NEVER fails to get a "Wow!" reaction!

State of the Hobby:

Story of my life

If you guys are starting a club, I'm in.

The CBUA! Comic Book Underbidders Association. We could use a nifty logo. Anyone got any font ideas?

There in lies the problem of buying what you like, my great fortune is that almost eveything I like, nobody else does. Or if you get caught up buying the trend of the moment and have to pay great premiums then usually you just paid way too much for something that'll be worth less than half three years down the road.

Always a running question for me, do i sell it for a huge loss just to get the money for something else or just hang on to it and hope to trade it off at guide?

Whenever someone comes over to check out my comics Roy, I always show them the Action Comics 24 you sold me with the handwritten note by the member of the Superman Fan club! :headbang: Even with non-comic collectors, that NEVER fails to get a "Wow!" reaction!

Ah man, that is great isn't it?

Glad it went to someone who could appreciate it!

That has got to be a fun piece to have.

There in lies the problem of buying what you like, my great fortune is that almost eveything I like, nobody else does. Or if you get caught up buying the trend of the moment and have to pay great premiums then usually you just paid way too much for something that'll be worth less than half three years down the road.

Always a running question for me, do i sell it for a huge loss just to get the money for something else or just hang on to it and hope to trade it off at guide?

1) Always collect what you like.

2) Trends may be short term gain or long term consistency. In comics, that means ride the train for a short time (buy and flip), and get off before it crashes (normally with new comics due to high supply). Long term blue chip books and titles don't wander off the profit trail (or popularity) very much so you won't loose out unless you paid strong and need to wait several years for FMV to "catch up"

3) Nothings a "sure thing". Sometimes cutting your losses and moving on other books are the best thing. (thumbs u

Guess it could be to the real collectors benefit when "investors" swoop in buy everything up, don't check the market for five years then bring em back and find they can't get half what they paid. Screws the market up but gives folks good opportunities

Guess it could be to the real collectors benefit when "investors" swoop in buy everything up, don't check the market for five years then bring em back and find they can't get half what they paid. Screws the market up but gives folks good opportunities

:headbang:

but, if these people pay way too much, and we know it, then the price they get when they sell IS the value. Not a discount. you have to forget the crazy price, not think you bought it "cheap" compared to a one-time crazy sale price. no?