• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Battlestar 14

11 posts in this topic

nothing worth while but I am curious about foxing impact on a high grade book.

Here is a perfect example of a high grade book 9.4 to 9.8 range but the foxing on the back cover is a problem...how much will it dings the grade?

I have a lot of bronze books that are high grades but they all share this problem.

b2a.jpg

b2.jpg

That degree of foxing should be treated no different than a stain. Nice book, but certainly no higher than an 8.0 IMHO. :(

Not according to Overstreet. Their published standards allow for slight foxing on books as high as NM 9.4. I'd say this book's foxing qualifies as slight, so 9.4 or 9.2 at the worst on this otherwise 9.6 copy.

That degree of foxing should be treated no different than a stain. Nice book, but certainly no higher than an 8.0 IMHO. :(

Not according to Overstreet. Their published standards allow for slight foxing on books as high as NM 9.4. I'd say this book's foxing qualifies as slight, so 9.4 or 9.2 at the worst on this otherwise 9.6 copy.

:roflmao:

1. It's a late BA book which shouldn't exhibit any foxing ever. Period. :sumo:

2. I have a problem calling this "minor" never mind "slight". :screwy:

3. CGC hasn't followed OS standards ever. :gossip:

4. Nor does anyone else these days. :grin:

But hey, no offense . . .

yup, I figured for Bronze age books, foxing will get ding heavily. Luckily it was only one box of high grade junk that was infected. It is still a damn shame even if the books are Battlestar and Man-Thing 2nd volume. They were all in bags so unless it was airtight, whatever caused the foxing was able to spread to the entire box.

I tend to lean towards what divad said. (although he's a little over the top in the way he says it). CGC seems to hammer stains. As to a grade? (shrug) If I were to sell it, I'd say no higher than 8.5

yup, I figured for Bronze age books, foxing will get ding heavily. Luckily it was only one box of high grade junk that was infected. It is still a damn shame even if the books are Battlestar and Man-Thing 2nd volume. They were all in bags so unless it was airtight, whatever caused the foxing was able to spread to the entire box.

Any idea how the box was stored? 20 years "in the garage"? Up in the attic? In the trunk of some moldy old Chevy? hm