• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love JRJR despite the consenus on these boards...

39 posts in this topic

I think his desire not to be his father, pushed him further and further into trying to develop his own style. I really enjoyed his early work on ASM. When he took over after the Byrne relaunch, his art was too squarish, bulky and disproportionate for my taste.

+1 anything he drew ASM 500 and up is total arse

I agree

I have had a long love/hate relationship with John Romita Jr.'s art. His Iron Man is some really good stuff. X-Men, eh...

What I've decided is it is a matter of whether or not he actually fits the book and whether his style meshes with the writer. Kick- was better for having him. The Avengers/Doom War doesn't do anything for me.

Like everybody, he has good days and bad days. I don't like his stuff right now, but he or I will come around again.

Apparently, I need to check out his run on Daredevil. I remember loving him on Frank Miller's Man Without Fear......

hm

His uncanny stuff and ASM was great, other stuff is krap

You forgot DD. The stuff with Al Williamson is some of the very best comic art of the last 25 years.

The thing is they had bad timing as they did that run not to long after Frank Miller,that kinda hurt it`s bling ,bling but it was great! :cloud9:

Apparently, I need to check out his run on Daredevil. I remember loving him on Frank Miller's Man Without Fear......

hm

I'm biased b/c this is one of the first comic runs I started intentionally buying on my own, but I'll still say that, yeah, you should check it out. Nocenti's storylines and (upon re-reading the series) really a wonderfully different way to follow Miller. Ultron, Blackheart (wow, JRJR!), and the whole hell thing... Romita's art was the perfect fit for my adolescent eyes. This really started my ongoing love affair with DD.

All this talk about JRJR DD is forcing me to post scans of artwork....can not....resist....

JRAWDD251page12_03-10-2009_23-48-14.jpg

see his daredevil stuff is super clean, put up a comparison with his recent spider-man stuff, he's gotten so boxy its unbelievable, he's stuff on early ASM is great but to be honest i didnt even know it was JR JR until i saw his name on the book... thats how much his stuff has changed

see his daredevil stuff is super clean, put up a comparison with his recent spider-man stuff, he's gotten so boxy its unbelievable, he's stuff on early ASM is great but to be honest i didnt even know it was JR JR until i saw his name on the book... thats how much his stuff has changed

That early ASM artwork, and his first issue or 2 of X-men was JRJR trying to fit in, trying to look like the other artists who he replaced or took over for, it really wasn't him. He had not developed his own style.

This piece was also JRJR inked by Williamson. You can tell it's JRJR, without looking for the sig too.

DDManwofear1cover_03-01-2009_04-43-13.jpg

I just found out Mark Millar and JRJR are doing a signing at Austin Books next Saturday. Kick- is premiering at the SXSW film festival, and they're in town for it. And some of the cast will be appearing at a Van's store, too, but I think I can skip that. It's limited admission, anyway. I'm not real big on signings, but I think I have to go to this one.

Oh, and as to the topic, I never really cared for him. My first exposure to him was X-Men, and his rough style following Paul Smith's sleekness was really jarring. After that, I never really appreciated him, until Kick-, which I thought was a great match of art style with story.

I miss the old JRJR :sorry:

I just read the next ish of DoomWar and I gotta admit...this is really turning out to be real good. Once again, great pencils by Scot Eaton! Did anyone who read this figure out what happened at the end when Doom and T'Challa faced off?

Im eagerly anticipated the next issue for this. I can't say the same for the cover.

25_doomwar_3_02.jpg

His DoomWar cover art looks like quick sketches that one would request for a blank sketch cover at your local con. :sick:

I can't remember the last time I read a book and the quailty of the interior art blows away mediocre to lazy covers of a mini series. I don't know, maybe my rant is from the fact that I know JRJR is so much better.

That cover is not very good...but in general, I really like JRJR

At least that cover is far-and-away better than the cover for #2...

I might have to take a poll at the end of DoomWar for the worst JRJR cover for the series.

hm

Like Bill said, I too like JRJR. Im surprised I even have a thread on this. But I gotta call out a solid artist when his work looks...lazy. Especially from a fan's point of view and not someone that just bashes his work because they hate his style.