• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Low Grade = Low Cost or Trade

36 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a low grade Amazing Fantasy #15 for sale for $1000 OBO;

I bought it recently and wanted to get it restored. :screwy: Well that is not going to happen :cry: so In the spirit of full disclosure :preach: I will tell you everything that I have done with the book and what I found out. I sent scans to Mr. Nelson of Classics Incorporated and Ms. Cicconi of The Restoration Lab (which is in MA so I also sent her the book to give me a restoration appraisal). Both agreed that this is not a restoration candidate! :sorry:

So I am offering it here because when I purchased this book I acquired a coverless copy with a xerox (very nice) cover recreation which I am going to keep for my collection. I contemplated sending this to Mr. Nelson for a cover recreation as well but felt that as it is an original (I did not nor did Ms. Cicconi see any obvious restoration (I did not have her do a full restoration check so this was just a cursory review therefore no warranty implied or certificate acquired :sumo:)) there is only misc tape inside cover and the large piece white tape on the cover. So I decided that I would leave it as an unrestored low grade copy.

GRADING: I have graded this book at the poor to fair grade 0.5 - 1.0 range. PQ Tan with brown edges, the cover has some brittleness to the edges. I have completely read this book cover to cover and found no other problems. The book is complete and there appears to be no obvious restoration.

PRICING: For Pricing I reviewed the Overstreet Price Guide 39th Edition: 2.0 $2400, ComicBase 14th Edition: 0.5 - 1.0 650 - 2550 and GPA for 0.5 – 1.0: 710 – 2095. Then I set the asking (starting) price less than what I paid for it a few weeks ago!

PAYMENT: I will accept PayPal, Money Order, personal or bank checks. OR TRADE I will have to wait for the personal check to clear prior to shipping. Otherwise I will ship the next business day after receipt of payment.

TRADE: I am very interested {I would actually prefer to trade that way Paypal does not get more of my money!!} in trades and pasted my needs list to this posting. these are the issues I need to complete my Marvel Silver-Age collection looking for VGF - FVF. I am also interested in Bronze-Age #1s in CGC 9.8 e.g. champions, nova, ms marvel, human fly etc. Also

I would consider trading for cool Golden-Age covers by LB Cole, Christmas covers and other golden age books especially Ghost Rider (ME), Black Knight (Atlas), and of course Marvel/Timely and DC titles etc. So please do not hesitate to make an offer. I Will use which ever guide you want (OSPG, ComicBase, GPA (CGC'd books) etc to price out the trade fairly and equitably.

MISSING ISSUES Silver-Age

Justice League of America: 3, 4

Fantastic Four: 2, 3, 5

Tales of Suspense: 40, 44, 45, 47, 49, 50, 57

Amazing Spider-Man: 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15, 28

Strange Tales: 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 112, 114, 123

Journey into Mystery: 84, 85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 97, 102, 105, 115

Tales to Astonish: 27, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 44, 46, 47, 54, 57, 59, 61

POSTAGE: Postage will be USPS Priority, delivery confirmation and insurance for both of our protection. Postage is included in the price listed for the USA. International buyers please PM and we can discuss cost for shipping etc.

BOOK PREPARATION: After I reviewed and scanned the book I put two microchamber papers in between the book and the front and back covers then placed it in E. Gerber Mylites 2 Mylar sleeve with a E. Gerber Full-Back 42 mil acid free buffer board , closed the flap with 3M photo safe double sided removal tape (to prevent the accidental tape pull!).

RETURNS: Returns will be accepted if dissatisfied please ask as many questions as possible so that you are happy with your purchase (trade)

Please PM offers to purchase or trade (or you can post it too) and any questions please post the question if it is a question that you think anyone interested in the book would want to know the answer too! (thumbs u

af15fc.jpg

af15bc.jpg

Definitely a cool way to get this book affordable. Too bad I don't have the cash, i'd be able to pick it up in person! I know you live not even 10 minutes from me. Did they agree it can't be restored or was it just not worth the cost??

One of each! Cost prohibitive 2500 - 3500 and the other stated not interested due to the current condition. BTW I went to outer limits today with Caryn (wife) cool store really nice selection too!

I have had lots of questions about the page quality so here are two scans as examples. The first is the center fold. The over hang on the scan is the cover's edge NOT the pages. The second is the last page of the Spiderman story (as if everyone did not know :insane: !

AF15Centerfold.jpg

AF15Lastpagespidermanstory.jpg

Did you try removing the white spine tape?

I was wondering if the front cover is connected to the back cover or if the whole thing is split?

I would like to smack the daft fellow who used that white tape (my apologies if it was you). :insane:

:makepoint:

I keep trying to come up with a reasonable trade offer, but so far haven't piled up enough of anything to send a PM...Sigh...

(And oh how I'd like to experiment with my tape removal products on something like this book, where there can't be that much more damage done, and the potential for making it look nicer is HUGE)

Honestly, if I had this book, I would have Matt Nelson remove the cover, have a new one added and pressed to make it look very very nice and make it very readable.

Then, I would take the original cover and display it in the back of the mylar so you could flip it around and see the original cover with it.

What about leaf casting? This seems like the type of book this could be done with right? I'd get the cover recreation then take a risk and send off the old cover to an up and coming restoration artist and see if they can pull it off.

FYI, I have a really cool Captain Marvel Adventures I am getting restored for FREE as it's being done for practice and a portfolio piece for the person doing it. In many ways, it's in a lot worse shape than this AF15.

Did you try removing the white spine tape?

I was wondering if the front cover is connected to the back cover or if the whole thing is split?

I would like to smack the daft fellow who used that white tape (my apologies if it was you). :insane:

:makepoint:

I cannot see completely under the tape but it looks like the cover is held on by the tape. The staples of the book inside are all secure. No it was not me I bought it this way!

Honestly, if I had this book, I would have Matt Nelson remove the cover, have a new one added and pressed to make it look very very nice and make it very readable.

Then, I would take the original cover and display it in the back of the mylar so you could flip it around and see the original cover with it.

What about leaf casting? This seems like the type of book this could be done with right? I'd get the cover recreation then take a risk and send off the old cover to an up and coming restoration artist and see if they can pull it off.

FYI, I have a really cool Captain Marvel Adventures I am getting restored for FREE as it's being done for practice and a portfolio piece for the person doing it. In many ways, it's in a lot worse shape than this AF15.

Cool let us know how it turns out!

I did get a lot of interest and so I want to update everyone. (thumbs u

First I want to thank everyone for all the offers and apologize for not answering PMs sooner. :sorry: On Fridays I do a double so I just got home. Sometimes I can get on the boards either at my day job or during the night but not yesterday.

I am currently working on a trade deal with another board member so I am going to put the book on hold for now until the transaction is either completed or cancelled.

The reason is I do not want the other board member to think I am stringing him (or anyone else) along for the best deal. I want to make a win-win deal and ensure he does not feel pressured into doing something that is not the right for him because I have other offers pending.

I will post either way when this is done.

Thank you again for your interest, patience, and understanding.

B

UPDATE

The book has been mailed to the prospective trader for review. Will update once the member has decided if it is the right book for them and if the trade will work for them. :wishluck:

:signofftopic: BTW I mailed it to Canada and what a pain. I sent it USPS Priority as the post office said I could not send it GXG because it was a collectible book!?! :pullhair: Then they told me that the tracking and insurance would only work until it reached Canada after that the post office is not responsible. :o The final straw was when they told me that I had to declare the full value BUT that I could only insure it to 675!! :tonofbricks:

How should I have mailed this book? ??? Or did the clerk just not know what they were talking about? (shrug)

B