• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your OFF-WHITE TO WHITE and WHITE Pagers!

561 posts in this topic

I don't have a camera to take a pic so I tried a scan...it doesn't do justice how nice this PQ on this piece of "junk" is. Mystery in Space #57. The book is likely a 6 at best with foxing on the cover. the PQ here is white as far as I can tell.

white.jpg

I don't have a camera to take a pic so I tried a scan...it doesn't do justice how nice this PQ on this piece of "junk" is. Mystery in Space #57. The book is likely a 6 at best with foxing on the cover. the PQ here is white as far as I can tell.

white.jpg

Incredible PQ !!

Overall, Marvels can be located but SA DCs are ULTRA HTF with nice PQ.

I don`t know why people always say this. Personally, I always found the average SA DC to have better PQ than the average SA Marvel, particularly among the earlier issues. DCs just seemed to be printed on better paper stock that survived better.

For example, here`s a JLA 7 that I bought raw back in 1997 or so, which had the whitest pages I`d ever seen in a SA book.

JLA7.jpg

I am all about the page quality, so I really appreciate this thread.....Here's a few of my gems !

I haven't scanned the Superman 76 in the CGC holder yet, but it's a 6.5 ow-white pages !

S7302910-1.jpg[/img]

supe76.jpg[/img]

2071528height-1.jpg[/img]

det371.jpg[/img]

I don`t know why people always say this. Personally, I always found the average SA DC to have better PQ than the average SA Marvel, particularly among the earlier issues. DCs just seemed to be printed on better paper stock that survived better.

For example, here`s a JLA 7 that I bought raw back in 1997 or so, which had the whitest pages I`d ever seen in a SA book.

JLA7.jpg

But that's just ONE book, Tim.

Compare 100s of Marvels to 100s of DCs, esp the early issues. Flash 105-110, Showcase 4-22, BB 25+, all those rascals are scarce with WPs.

Look in that Showcase 22 thread and you'll see 1-2 copies above the avg C/OW PQ.

In Arkansas we say, "they just ain't there pardnuh.." (shrug)

By the way, that's a gorgeous JLA with bright canary yellows !!

Compare 100s of Marvels to 100s of DCs, esp the early issues. Flash 105-110, Showcase 4-22, BB 25+, all those rascals are scarce with WPs.

Look in that Showcase 22 thread and you'll see 1-2 copies above the avg C/OW PQ.

Sure, the JLA 7 was just an example. I`ve also owned a JIM 83 that had incredibly white pages too, and I was more impressed by the whiteness on a Marvel than on an early DC.

I should make it clear that I`m also talking about proportionality, because of course the absolute number of higher grade Marvels out there dwarfs the DCs, so the absolute number of high PQ Marvels will dwarf the DCs.

But from my personal experience of going through and owning many very nice SA DCs and Marvels, a much higher proportion of the the DCs had nice pages compared to the Marvels.

Just my own impression, and may not correlate to CGC`s designation, which I think is a key point. I often didn`t agree with CGC`s PQ on Marvels that I submitted. I`ve submitted a fair number of Western Penn Marvels in particular to CGC, which I thought were mostly C-OW, and they all came back as OW or better, which really surprised me. In contrast, they tended to be spot on or hard on the PQ of the DCs that I submitted.

Sure, the JLA 7 was just an example. I`ve also owned a JIM 83 that had incredibly white pages too, and I was more impressed by the whiteness on a Marvel than on an early DC.

I should make it clear that I`m also talking about proportionality, because of course the absolute number of higher grade Marvels out there dwarfs the DCs, so the absolute number of high PQ Marvels will dwarf the DCs.

But from my personal experience of going through and owning many very nice SA DCs and Marvels, a much higher proportion of the the DCs had nice pages compared to the Marvels.

Just my own impression, and may not correlate to CGC`s designation, which I think is a key point. I often didn`t agree with CGC`s PQ on Marvels that I submitted. I`ve submitted a fair number of Western Penn Marvels in particular to CGC, which I thought were mostly C-OW, and they all came back as OW or better, which really surprised me. In contrast, they tended to be spot on or hard on the PQ of the DCs that I submitted.

(thumbs u

JLA7.jpg

From my experience, certain SA DC silver are more common in white pages due to paper stock. A Showcase 23 can be found in white pages and I know two others on the boards and myself have it. A Showcase 22 and 24 is scarce in off-white to white pages+, and this due to the paper stock use. Any pre-1962 DC in white pages are scarce, but for some exceptions.

JLA7.jpg

I think there is a typo. Showcase 22 is rarely found in off-white to white pages+, so finding a copy in off-white to white pages would be considered a white pager.