• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way to Take pictures of books and slabs

25 posts in this topic

I was a bit disillusioned by the last scanner thread. I came away with the impression that all current scanners are lousy for slabs.

From what I gathered (and experienced), I think GA slabs are a bit tougher, because they are thicker than your average BA/SA slab.

I could get good results at one end of a GA book but glare at the other. By flipping the book around I managed to reverse the results.

Photos can be helpful if you take shots of separate areas of the book but I don't think it's possible to take a clean shot of the entire book.

The perfect way to do it is to get one of those big $20K photocopy machines, but next to that a decent legal sized scanner is the way to go.

Switching my focus to finding a legal scanner (thumbs u

:applause: (thumbs u

My old PC crapped out recently and my old scanner wouldn't work with the new PC unless I put in way more effort then I was prepared to do. I briefly thought about trying my camera for selling but after struggling with getting the photos just right, I gave up and bought a new scanner.

Scanner is definitely the way to go

I have to admit that, IMHO, the only thing photos are good for is proving that you have the item. You simply don't get any detail and I would never buy something on the strength of a pic.

Scanner is the only way to go. (thumbs u

Agreed. But the one thing photos are better for than scanners is for non color breaking creases and surface wear/impressions. These don't show up with a scanner at all but will show up with a pic taken at an angle with ample light.

I was a bit disillusioned by the last scanner thread. I came away with the impression that all current scanners are lousy for slabs.

The perfect way to do it is to get one of those big $20K photocopy machines, but next to that a decent legal sized scanner is the way to go.

I can already see this making it to a feature cover call out in Flee's Basement Living - "A few broken back later, it was worth rolling the office printer down the basement stairs for a better scan" lol

Switching my focus to finding a legal scanner (thumbs u

:applause: (thumbs u

My old PC crapped out recently and my old scanner wouldn't work with the new PC unless I put in way more effort then I was prepared to do. I briefly thought about trying my camera for selling but after struggling with getting the photos just right, I gave up and bought a new scanner.

Scanner is definitely the way to go

What scanner did you buy, and can you post an example of the results that you're getting?