• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here we go again - Guy trying to sell Tec 47 as better grade after de-slabbing.

73 posts in this topic

All solely my personal opinion

I agree with your personal opinion. :) It seems... let's say, "unlikely"... that the seller bought the book off Comiclink, cracked it and threw it up on ebay right away, and bumped the grade and PQ several notches because of an "honest disagreement" with CGC.

It also looks to me like he took an eraser to the name at the top of the front cover, and possibly to some of the dirt as well.

All solely my personal opinion

I agree with your personal opinion. :) It seems... let's say, "unlikely"... that the seller bought the book off Comiclink, cracked it and threw it up on ebay right away, and bumped the grade and PQ several notches because of an "honest disagreement" with CGC.

It also looks to me like he took an eraser to the name at the top of the front cover, and possibly to some of the dirt as well.

(thumbs u

I zoomed in one the sellers book and can still faintly see the name on it. Which was the last dead give-a-way that it was the same book. But it does look like he tried erasing it. Also I can't tell from the white background but he may have possibly cut off the remaining over-hang of the back cover that was behind where the big piece of bug chew had been. (look at CL pic)

:sick:

So is the problem he broke it out and disagrees with CGCs grade or is it that he's just not someone you're familiar with doing it?

I am not saying that there is a "problem" per say I am just irritated the seller is immediately flipping the book on eBay with a higher grade and much higher PQ than the book was stated to be when it was CGC'd. Why did he not just leave it CGC'd? Something is odd with it. Also I do not like he did not disclose what he did (not that he has too - just for me it annoys me). I only pointed this out to help potential bidders to have a "clear picture" (thumbs u

I have watched a lot of his auctions never bought anything though. I haven't compared the CL and ebay one but if he has tried to make changes then obviously there's a problem.

I think that kinda screws everybody that's just as on as any grader at CGC. I've gotten books back and thought there was no way, popped it out, checked it out, couldn't find anything or just disagreed with the notes. I sure wouldn't call a 4.0 a 3.0 if three out of five people said it was a 4.0. (just an example with the grades)

If a seller bumps a grade, enhances PQ, doesn't disclose identified brittleness, doesn't disclose restoration, etc., especially where profit margins are involved, then that smacks of shady dealing, sorry.

Seriously - we've all bought stuff before, and all been burned before. So aren't we sick and tired of that by now? I know I am.

In my humble opition, it's time to stop making rationalizations and to start embracing Full Disclosure.That includes revealing CGC's grade and PQ when a book is de-slabbed, whether you agree with it or not.

Sorry to sound like a soap box, but this is such an important issue and is the exact reason why Full Disclosure cannot be compromised or excused away.

If a seller bumps a grade, enhances PQ, doesn't disclose identified brittleness, doesn't disclose restoration, etc., especially where profit margins are involved, then that smacks of shady dealing, sorry.

Seriously - we've all bought stuff before, and all been burned before. So aren't we sick and tired of that by now? I know I am.

In my humble opition, it's time to stop making rationalizations and to start embracing Full Disclosure.That includes revealing CGC's grade and PQ when a book is de-slabbed, whether you agree with it or not.

Sorry to sound like a soap box, but this is such an important issue and is the exact reason why Full Disclosure cannot be compromised or excused away.

:applause::applause::applause:

BOTTOM LINE:

I don't care if you lie to your wife about the color of your socks. But if you are a seller of comics you have to always provide full disclosure! Otherwise it messes everything up. And at the end of the day sellers need to know - lieing about a grade will only hurt you in the long run! If you lie about a grade and are caught you loose customers which will give you a greater lost of profit in the end! (tsk)

As a side note I want to say how much I love CGC for helping smooth this process over the years. CGC rocks! :headbang:

I gotcha. I always get curious when people talk about the graders, I used to know a few of them and liked them a lot, not sure who's still there but anyway, I don't think it's a good idea for people to put full stock in the grades they're gettin back without being able to say yeah that's about right or what the heck were they thinkin.

When folks take whats given, break it out, make adjustments to make it better then pawn it off as a higher grade is just common. Not like it hasn't always been done but about the only thing you can do, is what you've done here and call them out to everyone.

Not pinpointin you guys for anything bad, we seem to share the same interests, ya'll just brought it up is all.

I gotcha. I always get curious when people talk about the graders, I used to know a few of them and liked them a lot, not sure who's still there but anyway, I don't think it's a good idea for people to put full stock in the grades they're gettin back without being able to say yeah that's about right or what the heck were they thinkin.

When folks take whats given, break it out, make adjustments to make it better then pawn it off as a higher grade is just common. Not like it hasn't always been done but about the only thing you can do, is what you've done here and call them out to everyone.

Not pinpointin you guys for anything bad, we seem to share the same interests, ya'll just brought it up is all.

I agree sometimes you might be able to say "huh?!?" on grades but it is mostly rare. It has surely happened to me before. Just again an eBay seller trying to immediately flip a book and at a much higher grade w/o full disclosure makes us all wonder - "what gives?" to him.

Dude, if that's the worst you had to lie to your wife about then you'd be doin ok. Course my wife probably bought me the socks so she'd already know anyway.

:kidaround:

:roflmao:

(thumbs u

Always the contrarian, eh Tim? :baiting:

How would YOU feel if you bought a raw Duck that the seller listed at 9.6, only to find out later that CGC had graded it 7.0 with slight brittleness?

Like it or not, CGC is the accepted standard in the hobby and their grading is indeed "relevant". Duh.

One Big Name dealer is infamous for buying slabs from Heritage, and then de-slabbing them while bumping up the grades significantly and/or not disclosing restoration. That certainly sits well with the customer, huh?

"It's just an opinion..." :screwy:

Steve,

I respect your opinion tremendously,but here is why I am offering an opposing view.

CGC's grade is absolutely just their opinion,and subjective.Says so on the back of every label.Granted it is the most respected and accepted in our hobby,but still it is just an opinion.They do not deal in absolutes.You can send a book in to them several times and receive differing grades/page qualities.My problem is this: What if you send a book in to be graded that you'd like to sell and are not happy with the grade upon it's return.You cannot send it to another grading company as there is no legit competition.So you may at that point want to crack it out and sell it raw at the grade you feel is correct.What is wrong with this?What other choice do you have,other than sending it back to CGC again.

How many boardie GA collectors have purchased a book from a dealer because they thought it was under graded, to later(immediately) sell for a profit at a higher grade? Does anyone really think that a seller should be required to disclose the previous dealer grade of a raw book they are currently selling?Why is it any different if it was once slabbed? I believe flipping is an integral part of our hobby,and helps many collectors fund their collecting.It is also a lot of fun to use your hard earned knowledge of the hobby to make a profit now and again.

I guess at the end of the day,I just don't see anything wrong with cracking a book and selling it raw at a slightly different grade.Of course if as you say someone is selling purple books as unrestored,or consistently raising grades by a large margin,then I would absolutely avoid them,as they're being dishonest.I am all for full disclosure pertaining to restoration/pressing,but I don't think it's reasonable to want sellers to disclose prior grades CGC or otherwise.

let's say the seller genuinely thought the book was undergraded, I would respect him alot more if he had disclosed the fact that it used to be in cgc 1.0 holder and then stated that he thought the book in his opinion to be 2.0. but of course we all know why he didn't do that. Without disclosing that, what comes to mind everytime is scammer.