• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Detective 27 supplant Action 1 in Overstreet based on recent sales?

61 posts in this topic

quote// Conversation seems too have moved to whichcomic is historically more significant rather than which should top the Overstreet list as being the most expensive to purchase.

There is 'somewhat' of a relationship between Historical Significance and a Top price.

I know that it is not true in every circumstance and in even many circumstances but I feel it does apply here.

I think it is Batmans dominance in the movies that keeps Tec 27 so close to Action 1 . I do not believe that it is the Comicbook itself .

How did Detective #27 compare to Action #1 back in the late 80s and early 90s when the Tim Burton Batman movies were so dominant? I honestly don't remember.

quote// Conversation seems too have moved to whichcomic is historically more significant rather than which should top the Overstreet list as being the most expensive to purchase.

There is 'somewhat' of a relationship between Historical Significance and a Top price.

I know that it is not true in every circumstance and in even many circumstances but I feel it does apply here.

I think it is Batmans dominance in the movies that keeps Tec 27 so close to Action 1 . I do not believe that it is the Comicbook itself .

How did Detective #27 compare to Action #1 back in the late 80s and early 90s when the Tim Burton Batman movies were so dominant? I honestly don't remember.

That is when Detective 27 was the top comic for a brief while.pricewise

It applies here because despite his flaws, Superman himself, separate from Action Comics #1 and the fact that he was the first popular superhero, is still a highly compelling character enjoying success in television, film, and video games. Other historically significant books featuring less-compelling characters that have lost steam include Flash in Showcase 4, Spectre in More Fun 52, Sub-Mariner and Human Torch in Marvel 1, etc.

Given that Detective 27 defined the basics of what makes the Batman films desirable, this confuses me.

My only answer to this would be Obadiah lol

:jokealert:

I think the movies keep the characters fresh for the general public and as such Batman currently is seen as a more interesting character.

I don't however think that this has any relevance as to the value currently of both comics (other than to indicate that the character won't become as irrelevant in the future as Captain Marvel).

I thiink the price volatility of both comics is huge at any grade due to the scarcity of supply and effective demand.

If the Action #1 8.0 was put up for sale again tomorrow I'm not sure it would make $800k.

If I had offered you $325k for your Action #1 a year ago I'm sure you would have given it serious consideration.

It is very difficult therefore to justify which comic is more expensive in grade as there is insufficient market volume at this price level.

My only answer to this would be Obadiah lol

:jokealert:

I think the movies keep the characters fresh for the general public and as such Batman currently is seen as a more interesting character.

I don't however think that this has any relevance as to the value currently of both comics (other than to indicate that the character won't become as irrelevant in the future as Captain Marvel).

I thiink the price volatility of both comics is huge at any grade due to the scarcity of supply and effective demand.

If the Action #1 8.0 was put up for sale again tomorrow I'm not sure it would make $800k.

If I had offered you $325k for your Action #1 a year ago I'm sure you would have given it serious consideration.

It is very difficult therefore to justify which comic is more expensive in grade as there is insufficient market volume at this price level.

I agree completely.

Respectfully, I would not have given 325k a year ago consideration at all.

If you go solely by the 8.0 $1,000,000 sale it would seem based off that only, that a 6.5 Action 1 would be worth $500,000 or more.

I know there are a major array of factors to take into consideration but.

Hi Bat-man,

I agree with your perspective as well. I was just throwing another twist into the argument. As much as I like the Detective 27 more, and with the movie indiustry seeing Batman dwarf Superman (as well with modern popularity in general),

I still agree with the Action #1 being the more significant of the 2 books, it simply started it all.

However, I am sure we would get arguments from from people who had FF#1 pegged as more important for the longest time over AF #15, because it came first and started the new Marvel Universe. However, now we know that there is NO comparision as AF#15 is on a level way above FF#1.

Dwight

Hi Bat-man,

I agree with your perspective as well. I was just throwing another twist into the argument. As much as I like the Detective 27 more, and with the movie indiustry seeing Batman dwarf Superman (as well with modern popularity in general),

I still agree with the Action #1 being the more significant of the 2 books, it simply started it all.

However, I am sure we would get arguments from from people who had FF#1 pegged as more important for the longest time over AF #15, because it came first and started the new Marvel Universe. However, now we know that there is NO comparision as AF#15 is on a level way above FF#1.

Dwight

The difference between popularity in an era (1961/62 Marvels) and the single most important comic book of all time are two very different things.

You just can't compare Silver Age patterns to Golden Age ones.

The two different market demographics (esp. price ranges and target markets) for SA and GA keys are almost completely unrelated. You can literally buy 100's of copies of AF #15 at about a week's wages each and you can probably find them all in a week. Sure they are low grade, but they are nonetheless available. Most people couldn't afford an Action #1 even if they saved up a year's wages and even if they could afford the $100K entry level fee, they'd have a tough time finding a copy for sale if at all.

AF #15 and FF #1 are comics that are still read and traded and enjoyed by people who grew up buying them off the newsstand and reading/collecting them. Kids that bought those books off the newsstand would be 50+ years old.

The kids that bought them off the newsstand are at minimum 82+ years old now and there are not many left that can say that they did. Action #1 is now no longer just a comic, it's an artifact.

Very different and an unfair comparison.

Hi Bat-man,

Dwight

Three very good movies for Spiderman made that impact.

I look at it this way in regards to value.

Even though I believe that Batman and Spiderman are more popular[[today]] than Superman

Even with that advantage and im gonna say that again, Even with that advantage, Action 1 is still the more valuable comicbook.

Imagin when the cycle changes and Superman becomes the most popular character again.Come on, hes not going to be number 3 forever.I admit that is now but someday he will be on top again and when he is Action 1 will have its undisputible place as number 1. Some day, youll see.

Action #1 is now no longer just a comic, it's an artifact.

That is such an excellent point to make that I wish I had said it !

I've been saying it for years.

:grin:

Action #1 is now no longer just a comic, it's an artifact.

That is such an excellent point to make that I wish I had said it !

I've been saying it for years.

:grin:

he has, I first heard him say it at Mid-Ohio con about 3 years ago. that Roy has a pretty good head for funnybooks.

In response to r1970d

"Please read what I said", I do not think that AF#15 and FF#1 are in the same category as the comparision of Action #1 and Det. #27, however I have heard that argument in the past, especially from some collectors who have been around for a while and still remember when FF#1 was worth more.

Again, That was not my belief (as I happen to agree with you), nor would I make that comparison personally, but some collectors have made that comparision before, and I value all peoples opinions.

Dwight

In response to r1970d

"Please read what I said", I do not think that AF#15 and FF#1 are in the same category as the comparision of Action #1 and Det. #27, however I have heard that argument in the past, especially from some collectors who have been around for a while and still remember when FF#1 was worth more.

I happen to agree with you, but to say that an "unfair comparision" could be made by some people, is only your opinion, and other people have a right at their own opinion as well (that is what this form is all about and it is great that it is generating some great opinions).

Again, That was not my belief (as I happen to agree with you), nor would I make that comparison personally as you assumed I did, but some collectors have made that comparision before, and I value all peoples opinions, not just my own.

Dwight

I didnt pick up where r1970d was saying it was the law of the universe.

You might be right, just did not like the tone (but maybe I am being just too darn sensative), BUT I do agree mostly with r1970d 's perspective on the comparisions.

Dwight

Dwight, I am still one of those people that think that FF #1 should be more valuable than AF #15 but I do understand that the market has spoken. It'll be interesting to see what the FF #1 CGC 9.4 sells for in the upcoming Pedigree auction.

I wasn't trying to criticize you at all. I realize I quoted you but I was simply reaffirming what you were saying and then building on it...not disagreeing with you.

:foryou: